Chivalry: The Deadliest Warrior… what?

• @Andrew:

@quigleyer:

Curiously is this an expansion or a new standalone game? How much do you anticipate selling it for? Will it have team objective modes?

It’s an expansion. We are in closed alpha at the moment, so none of this is final product, thus I can’t really comment on the last two.

What’s the general feedback on the closed alpha been like so far?

• Tb better start working on completing those maps and polishing the models for the samurai and specialy the spartans because I’m rally not that hyped.

• It doesn’t suprise me at all that it is Samurai vs Spartan, The Ninja vs Spartan and Samurai vs Viking were two of the most controversial episodes in the TV series.

• @ChuckingIt:

I never watched the show. Did any of the factions use guns?

I’m pretty sure the Ultra Mecha-Hitler Death Machines From Hell faction did.

They are probably in.

• From the little shown so far, I give the concept a big thumbs-down. As others noted, we wanted more Agatha!
    Anyway, sure looks like content that will ‘split the community’.
    I was hoping that the DLC content would be something to bring me back to the game. This doesn’t look like that.

• @Vlad:

Tb better start working on completing those maps and polishing the models for the samurai and specialy the spartans because I’m rally not that hyped.

Well you have already been on the actual TV show defeating Sun Tzu. ;)

• It seems that many people here have forgotten what expansions use to be.

This is what they were.

Its not some DLC bullshit.

• @WARSAW:

hundreds of game breaking bugs still in the current game we are trying to play

That seems like a bit of an exaggeration don’t you think?

• @Peculiar:

That seems like a bit of an exaggeration don’t you think?

First time meeting Warsaw I see. He is very passionate, and I always tell him his exaggerations make people disregard what he says. Aside from that, he still does add some insight when he isn’t exaggerating.

• @lemonater47:

It seems that many people here have forgotten what expansions use to be.

This is what they were.

This has nothing to do with the controversial nature of this announcement. The scale of DW is not the problem, it is the whole idea to go from a closed gritty low-fantasy medieval environment that still has so much that could be fleshed out to Spartans vs. Samurai with the backdrop of some semi-historical pop culture show?

All the good add-ons I remember expanded the base game in a great way, but the whole idea behind DW is so different from the current Chivalry it can only work just as a stand-alone would, and it does not seem to expand the base game at all, rather split apart from it. If you want to make something entirely different…. make a new game? Expansions are not intended to do that, they are supposed to expand and refine the original - that is why they are expansions in the first place. And I just dont see anything of the original Chivalry I love so much getting expanded.

• I don’t like this. :/

• @Don_Kanaille:

@lemonater47:

It seems that many people here have forgotten what expansions use to be.

This is what they were.

This has nothing to do with the controversial nature of this announcement. The scale of DW is not the problem, it is the whole idea to go from a closed gritty low-fantasy medieval environment that still has so much that could be fleshed out to Spartans vs. Samurai with the backdrop of some semi-historical pop culture show?

All the good add-ons I remember expanded the base game in a great way, but the whole idea behind DW is so different from the current Chivalry it can only work just as a stand-alone would, and it does not seem to expand the base game at all, rather split apart from it. If you want to make something entirely different…. make a new game? Expansions are not intended to do that, they are supposed to expand and refine the original - that is why they are expansions in the first place. And I just dont see anything of the original Chivalry I love so much getting expanded.

I love this post so much. I grew up loving History, and anything to do with History, and when this DLC announcement came up I felt sort of disappointed the more I thought about it.

When I was pondering what Torn Banner was going to do with regards to a Chivalry Expansion, I thought about what The Elder Scrolls had done. They had new themes, new tones, and a large amount of content.

When it really came down to it, I thought Torn Banner would’ve commit to a real Expansion pack that might have focused on a different Era or time period. Draw inspiration from the Total War series, and maybe do an expansion on Feudal Japan, where the serene environments contrasted the violent nature of Samurai. Shogun 2 could have been a great reference even if nobody in-game would’ve ever honored duels, or single-combat.

Or maybe commit to an expansion based off the Romans, when they were at the height of power. I spent years watching documentaries on Romans, reading about them, and playing Rome: Total War only grew that passion. The Roman era had countless cultures, that could’ve changed the way Chivalry was played. The Romans fought “barbaric” Gauls, as well as other European Tribes, they fought Gladiator Rebellions, as well as Carthaginians, etc. The Greeks even existed, with their glorious Hoplites.

But the more I thought about it, the more I thought that maybe this was too good to be true. The idea of Deadliest Warrior: Chivalry seems a lot easier to develop, and milk.

Instead of having an immersive expansion pack (That I know Torn Banner can easily develop) based on earlier time periods, and committing to a realistic approach to ancient warfare, it feels (To me) like they’ve copped out.

That’s my stupid pointless rant. Maybe this new DLC won’t be so bad, and maybe I’m entirely wrong, but this is just the vibe I get when I see the trailer. When I imagine playing a spartan, I imagine being in their sandals, and fighting the enemies they fought, not fighting Samurai or Knights, or anything else. It just doesn’t feel immersive. :-|

• TB should push to get on the next gen consoles. You would easily knock out games like ryse and everything just like it with the combat system alone.

• I think it’ll be cool. I was trying to supplement my Greek-Roman warrior fix by trying to run heavy javelins and shortsword. Also, is the Chivalry plot really that interesting to some of you people? I acknowledged it but brushed it aside when it was time to cave some heads in.

• Oh god - this could go one of two ways.

When I think Deadliest Warrior I think… fucking lame, cheap kids TV - with weirdos arguing passionately about meaningless match-ups using complete historical inaccuracies. And then a really rubbish fight sequence at the end that looks like it was filmed in someones garden. And Faramir Narrating.

And the ‘Hi-tec simulation’ which ‘simulates’ the match-ups… microsoft excel. Christ.

However I like the variety, I like the idea of shielded spartans and samurai etc etc. Yet… Im going to predict now that balancing the game is going to be an absolute nightmare, it’ll fail horribly - and the game will take a plunge into the realms of dynasty warriors esque arcadism.

So its probably going to be a arcade hack and slash game aimed at kids… This makes me horribly sad, but I have a glimmer of hope.

If somehow TB can get their asses together and give the game an enormous skill ceiling, and balance it without numerous soul destroying bugs then I will buy the game many times over and roll around in a bath of ‘mines a two-hander’ shirts, after buying the entire surplus. And be eternally happy, because it will be awesome.

(please dont fuck it up TB)

• I have to say this is pretty disappointing.

Key bugs and issues are still present, yet dlc, customization and now this has come before fixing issues.

Also this game is ‘Medievil’, what’s with cheapening the game by introducing other eras?

I love this game but poor from TB imo.

• @Sidewinder:

@Del:

This looks like a mod.

This 100%

Doesn’t look like the quality work TBS has produced thus far.

It’s closed Alpha footage dude.

• ChuckingIt

First time meeting Warsaw I see. He is very passionate, and I always tell him his exaggerations make people disregard what he says. Aside from that, he still does add some insight when he isn’t exaggerating.

thanks man :D i am very passionate, and i take this stuff very seriously.
    and
    all i want is a better chivalry guys.

• The only way this will work is if they actually used historically correct weapons, human sizes, realistic physics and to change up the time lines of the various warriors… All of which cannot be done so it will be more arcade like in the end. An expansion novelty. Great coup de ta for landing a huge account. Sadly it has the potential to make or break the dev team with that much marketing behind them.

• My first thought when I heard of Chiv the Deadliest Warrior,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8r3cWM4JII