Chivalry: The Deadliest Warrior… what?

• ChuckingIt

First time meeting Warsaw I see. He is very passionate, and I always tell him his exaggerations make people disregard what he says. Aside from that, he still does add some insight when he isn’t exaggerating.

thanks man :D i am very passionate, and i take this stuff very seriously.
    and
    all i want is a better chivalry guys.

• The only way this will work is if they actually used historically correct weapons, human sizes, realistic physics and to change up the time lines of the various warriors… All of which cannot be done so it will be more arcade like in the end. An expansion novelty. Great coup de ta for landing a huge account. Sadly it has the potential to make or break the dev team with that much marketing behind them.

• My first thought when I heard of Chiv the Deadliest Warrior,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8r3cWM4JII

• Spike…. ewwwww
    :roll:^ sup chill

• I was pretty sure that it would be something with Asians. And oh surprise it is. Oh well, I’d rather see a DLC with new maps than this. This will divide the community once more.

• Just a question for the developers, But when should we expect the first Community QA?

@afiNity:

I was pretty sure that it would be something with Asians. And oh surprise it is. Oh well, I’d rather see a DLC with new maps than this. This will divide the community once more.

It has nothing to do with it being Asians, They simply chose Samurai and Spartan because they were both TV series favourites. The Spartan also won against the Ninja and the Samurai won against the viking. So I’m assuming that they’ll choose the next classes based on whether or not they were victorious in the TV series.

So that means the next classes will probably be.

-Persian Immortal
    -Rajput Warrior
    -Comanche and Apache warriors
    -Shaolin Monk
    -Pirate?(Lol) Not sure

• As much as I like expansions, I absolutely hate Spike and Deadliest Warrior is frankly a terrible show.

• @Sneaky:

I love this post so much. I grew up loving History, and anything to do with History, and when this DLC announcement came up I felt sort of disappointed the more I thought about it.

When I was pondering what Torn Banner was going to do with regards to a Chivalry Expansion, I thought about what The Elder Scrolls had done. They had new themes, new tones, and a large amount of content.

When it really came down to it, I thought Torn Banner would’ve commit to a real Expansion pack that might have focused on a different Era or time period. Draw inspiration from the Total War series, and maybe do an expansion on Feudal Japan, where the serene environments contrasted the violent nature of Samurai. Shogun 2 could have been a great reference even if nobody in-game would’ve ever honored duels, or single-combat.

Or maybe commit to an expansion based off the Romans, when they were at the height of power. I spent years watching documentaries on Romans, reading about them, and playing Rome: Total War only grew that passion. The Roman era had countless cultures, that could’ve changed the way Chivalry was played. The Romans fought “barbaric” Gauls, as well as other European Tribes, they fought Gladiator Rebellions, as well as Carthaginians, etc. The Greeks even existed, with their glorious Hoplites.

But the more I thought about it, the more I thought that maybe this was too good to be true. The idea of Deadliest Warrior: Chivalry seems a lot easier to develop, and milk.

Instead of having an immersive expansion pack (That I know Torn Banner can easily develop) based on earlier time periods, and committing to a realistic approach to ancient warfare, it feels (To me) like they’ve copped out.

That’s my stupid pointless rant. Maybe this new DLC won’t be so bad, and maybe I’m entirely wrong, but this is just the vibe I get when I see the trailer. When I imagine playing a spartan, I imagine being in their sandals, and fighting the enemies they fought, not fighting Samurai or Knights, or anything else. It just doesn’t feel immersive. :-|

Reading this post, I just notice how awesome it would’ve been had Torn Banner partnered with SEGA and Creative Assembly to make historically themed Chivalry games/expansions (under the name Total Warrior?)
    Instead, they partnered with a non-factual show that claims to be factual on a TV channel for fratboys with foetal alcohol syndrome.

• IMHO this type of non-era game is far more creatively unrestricted than just having a feudal Japan Chivalry or whatever. In this scenario TBS are free to create battles between different warriors that would otherwise never meet each other in battle. From a game design perspective it is liberating. Not in a lazy way, but rather in a way that allows for creativity and fun. Just my 2 cents. I’m not a stickler for details.

I don’t know why one would get upset just on principle because it’s tied into a TV show. What difference would it have made if TBS had done their own thing and put in Spartans and Samurai and whatever else? It would probably still be the same game. If you for whatever reason don’t like the show, fine, but judge the game on its own merits when the time comes. Gameplay is paramount.

That said, I can easily envision conversions of great eras to this type of Chivalry gameplay (rather than what we see up until this point: RTS games), but I feel that much of the splendor of Roman battles, for instance, is lost when you can’t really have more than 32 players on a server. Maybe some day TBS will be using a real game engine that doesn’t suck ass, and we will have our epic battles.

• @soamd:

Reading this post, I just notice how awesome it would’ve been had Torn Banner partnered with SEGA and Creative Assembly to make historically themed Chivalry games/expansions (under the name Total Warrior?)

The idea of my two favorite gaming franchises coming together like this totally blows my mind. It sounds like the most glorious idea ever.

It would have tons of bugs and the worst AI, but it would be soooo much fun.

Total Warrior, how awesome would that be.

• This is a shame.

You could’ve expanded within the Chivalry universe which is a fantastic area to experiment in, what with the different locations that yet to be have been seen so far (such as Siege from Age of Chivalry).

You’ve basically segregated the community now, just like Red Orchestra 2 and Rising Storm - people will only play Total Warrior, while others will only play Chivalry.

Now what, is that the last thing we’ll see from the Chivalry universe? I doubt you’ll go back to it after this expansion, considering how long they take to make and the amount of money you will make from this expansion is likely to be high.

The worst part about this is that the game isn’t even serious, it’s just pairing up random “factions” throughout the ages and based off a television show - I would’ve been happier if you had just made a separate game and NOT included the “Chivalry” in the title.

• @afiNity:

I was pretty sure that it would be something with Asians. And oh surprise it is. Oh well, I’d rather see a DLC with new maps than this. This will divide the community once more.

Wait, so you’re saying that map packs don’t split communities, how does making it so that only people who paid an X amount of money can play on certain maps, so everyone who didn’t want to or couldn’t afford to buy it gets left behind NOT divide the community?

• @Peculiar:

@afiNity:

Wait, so you’re saying that map packs don’t split communities, how does making it so that only people who paid an X amount of money can play on certain maps, so everyone who didn’t want to or couldn’t afford to buy it gets left behind NOT divide the community?

I didn’t say that map packs don’t divide the community.

• @afiNity:

@Peculiar:

@afiNity:

I didn’t say that map packs don’t divide the community.

Ah sorry, I misunderstood your first post “As I want map packs, not this.”

• @Krax:

This is a shame.

You could’ve expanded within the Chivalry universe which is a fantastic area to experiment in, what with the different locations that yet to be have been seen so far (such as Siege from Age of Chivalry).

You’ve basically segregated the community now, just like Red Orchestra 2 and Rising Storm - people will only play Total Warrior, while others will only play Chivalry.

Now what, is that the last thing we’ll see from the Chivalry universe? I doubt you’ll go back to it after this expansion, considering how long they take to make and the amount of money you will make from this expansion is likely to be high.

The worst part about this is that the game isn’t even serious, it’s just pairing up random “factions” throughout the ages and based off a television show - I would’ve been happier if you had just made a separate game and NOT included the “Chivalry” in the title.

i agree…should focus on vanilla chiv (moar hat) then after couple years…we got teaser (Chivalry 2: Samurai Warrior) just like Total War game

• The worst part about this is that the game isn’t even serious, it’s just pairing up random “factions” throughout the ages and based off a television show

no im pretty sure the worst part is that this game isnt any where near polished enough from a serious players standpoint to even consider releasing sumthing else till the current game we are playing has been majorly polished up and they stop screwing over ther admins and release sum decent admin tools and make them actually work!

in a game where everything has been nerfed to the point of no return how do you expect us to really take you seriously, i mean comon deadliest warrior really?

your fan base cant handle anything thats awesome or cool or hardcore, they have whined op on practically every single fucking aspect of the current nerfest we are playing now and it isnt anywhere near being fixed yet, on the admin side or from a serious players point of view.

the nerfest warrior would be a more suitable title then the deadliest warrior.

you know you cant help but lol at the fact that torn banner is gonna try to make sumthing called the “deadliest warrior”!

• Looks laaame.

I’m waay more excited for Bushido: Feudal Warfare.

• @King:

Looks laaame.

I’m waay more excited for Bushido: Feudal Warfare.

But I’m wagering this Deadliest Warrior deal will be done before that. I’m not always a good gambler, though.

Depending on price and what other people say this might be something to get stoked for. If it’s too much money I won’t get it on release, but I could probably do $25 without hesitating, given my faith in TB’s Games replayability track record :).

• @soamd:

Instead, they partnered with a non-factual show that claims to be factual on a TV channel for fratboys with foetal alcohol syndrome.

Exactly. If they partnered with Sega and combined themes from the Total War games, it would’ve been perfect. When I see this Expansion pack I see Pirates Knights Vikings 2: Chivalry Edition.

• Here’s an idea…
    Fix the bugs, glitches, and balance problems in the current game before getting money hungry and making a new expansion.
    TBS never ceases to amaze me.
    You had such an amazing game… Yes the expansion looks cool, but now is not the right time… NOW both games are going to get half the attention from the dev team and it’s all going to fall to shit…