Chivalry: The Deadliest Warrior… what?

• @Meow:

@Lucas:

This may ease some of your worries.

We recently announced Chivalry: Deadliest Warrior. There’s some speculation on the forums about what this means for support for Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. We have no intention of abandoning Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. Since C:DW is an expansion on Chivalry, both games share much of the same code, meaning that improvements to one can often carry right over to the other. Customization is a good example of a feature that is able to be carried over to both games.

Well… Torn Banner Studio is finding it difficult to fix one game… It seems every time something is “fixed” two things are broken, and half the time whatever was “fixed” isn’t even fixed. Now that another game is being introduced into the spectrum, both games will recieve 50% of the attention.
    There are still bugs and glitches that have been in the game since release and nothing has been done about it. I guess you can say I’m worried but worried may not be the right word. Worried is a word to use when you suspect horrible things are going to happen… (at least, that’s when I use the word.) I’m not suspecting utter failure, I’m expecting utter failure. I hope you can prove me wrong but the track record for Torn Banner Studios isn’t something amazing.
    sigh I feel I’ll have to continue playing a game full of glitches and balance problems for a lot longer now.

I would imagine Spike TV made them offer they could not refuse. If it gets on TV and brings in a lot of new players then it could bring in significant money - which is more resources and will extend the lifetime of the game.

Now I see why they are moderating the forum so heavily - they don’t want anything too extreme for viewers of the show which obviously will include younger kids. I will have to figure out a balance for my signature lol. Maybe Selena Gomez pics lol.

• @gregcau:

Maybe Selena Gomez pics lol.

Do it.

• I have to say that THIS LOOKS AWESOME. Emphasize LOOKS. We don’t even know how this is gonna look yet, if it’s gonna be a six-side battle or if it’s gonna be 6 warriors a side, or whatever. And there won’t be vikings, the mason MAA already looks like one, and we already have norse weps.
    The biggest discouragement is the whole Spike TV thing, cause they ruin history for people. Seriously, the History Channel is total BS, and Spike TV is too. But, the game can’t be that bad, Chivalry is great , and I generally save my accuracy complaints for Europa Universalis :D .
    The only other concern is, again, splitting the community. I guess we’ll just wait for more info.

• Money>quality
    That’s the problem that we continue to run into.
    Example:
    Taking out CFTP, I was told it was because comboing was supposed to be more risky and you shouldn’t be able to block in a combo… Makes sense…
    But what about the “panic parry”? The panic parry takes away the risk factor of missing attacks… Yes it takes up a good chunk of stamina but do you recall how much stamina it took for a CFTP… What I see here, is an excuse to give new players a easier time. It’s all about money.
    I really hope that they make the right choice with the game and hire good programmers and can pay attention to both games… I don’t see that happening but PLEASE I beg of you, prove me wrong.

• Well my hope is that if the game grows by a lot there will be finally enough people to have an actual competitive community. But I guess they cater this game to the wrong audience (once again). For the sake of noob-friendliness TDW probably will be even easier than the main game.

• @Meow:

Money>quality
    Example:
    Taking out CFTP, I was told it was because comboing was supposed to be more risky and you shouldn’t be able to block in a combo… Makes sense…
    But what about the “panic parry”? The panic parry takes away the risk factor of missing attacks… Yes it takes up a good chunk of stamina but do you recall how much stamina it took for a CFTP… What I see here, is an excuse to give new players a easier time. It’s all about money.
    I really hope that they make the right choice with the game and hire good programmers and can pay attention to both games… I don’t see that happening but PLEASE I beg of you, prove me wrong.

Trust me if you had a business your focus would be on making money, not catering to the hardcore gamers. Panic Parry is a minor saving grace that makes the game much more enjoyable to everyone except the most hardcore gamers. It is hard to cater to both groups, but when you have employees to pay it would be negligent to ignore the majority of your players who paid for it.

Now please, more cosplay pics :-) (kidding, well kind of)

• @gregcau:

@Meow:

Money>quality
    Example:

Trust me if you had a business your focus would be on making money, not catering to the hardcore gamers. Panic Parry is a minor saving grace that makes the game much more enjoyable to everyone except the most hardcore gamers. It is hard to cater to both groups, but when you have employees to pay it would be negligent to ignore the majority of your players who paid for it.

I’ve always said this:
    “If TBS can’t afford to give quality to the game, then they should sell the rights to a company who can.”
    I still stand by that.

• While I’m really looking forward to this expansion, I also realize when playing Chivalry that there are so many bugs waiting to be fixed.
    And not small things, real bugs that just ruin the fun. These vary from scoreboard bugs, to people blocking/ parrying attacks coming from behind, to getting stuck in stones/ walls etc., getting down-ranked (even if it’s only temporary) and probably many more I’ve encountered so far, fortunately.

Don’t get me wrong. As I’ve said previously, I really look forward to this expansion and I also like playing Chivalry, but there are so many bugs. This game has so much potential and I think I wouldn’t play any other game if it there weren’t those. I have faith, as much as I had when I pledged for the base game on Kickstarter, but please: fix them :|

• Global Moderator

Blocking attacks from behind isn’t a bug. Nor is it game breaking. I think its awesome.

• @Meow:

@gregcau:

@Meow:

Money>quality
    Example:

I’ve always said this:
    “If TBS can’t afford to give quality to the game, then they should sell the rights to a company who can.”
    I still stand by that.

I am sorry to see you feeling this way at the moment Meow! TBS built the game I’ve seen you spend hours enjoying from the ground up and I personally strongly stand by the fact that only they can do the game the justice it deserves. It is there’s and this communities masterpiece only they should work on, they started it and they should finish it.

I can understand your overall frustration, you feel as though they are further spreading there resources thin as a team when areas already need full attention; yet i’m not so sure it will just be a case of 50/50% attention on each of the projects. This expansion is using the same foundation as chivalry, meaning they can effectively utilise there time as a whole to deal with on-going issues requiring support.

• I’m not sure if this is a question that can be answered, but I will ask anyway on the off chance. Does this game intend to have 6 ‘factions’ as the different era warriors. I.e: A spartan faction and samurai faction, or will the warriors be classes of their own, and different warriors are on the same team?

• @Ma:

I’m not sure if this is a question that can be answered, but I will ask anyway on the off chance. Does this game intend to have 6 ‘factions’ as the different era warriors. I.e: A spartan faction and samurai faction, or will the warriors be classes of their own, and different warriors are on the same team?

This was in the most recent newsletter

Our latest big announcement is our expansion game, Chivalry: Deadliest Warrior! Six of the deadliest warriors from throughout the ages are chosen, so you can decide once and for all who is deadliest!

• @Scorp:

I am sorry to see you feeling this way at the moment Meow! TBS built the game I’ve seen you spend hours enjoying from the ground up and I personally strongly stand by the fact that only they can do the game the justice it deserves. It is there’s and this communities masterpiece only they should work on, they started it and they should finish it.

I can understand your overall frustration, you feel as though they are further spreading there resources thin as a team when areas already need full attention; yet i’m not so sure it will just be a case of 50/50% attention on each of the projects. This expansion is using the same foundation as chivalry, meaning they can effectively utilise there time as a whole to deal with on-going issues requiring support.

I respect the original game of chivalry. I used to be a TBS fangirl. The game was amazing, had a high skill ceiling and just needed a few tweaks here and there. But sadly it needs huge changes.
    I respect each individual member of TBS, but as a company they lost my respect. (don’t worry, I’m not going to try to poison you guys at pax). The game is probably amazing to most new players/casual players that played before patch. But as a player who played competitively both pre and post patch it’s a disappointment. I will sometimes play the live game and I’ll get sad because the game used to be sooo much better. I personally believe TBS will never truly understand why players who enjoyed pre-patch more than post patch think that way… I say this because well, none of them put the time and effort into the game that the competitive players did (the dev team that is). I honestly never realized how amazing CFTP and FTP were until I hit like 650 hours… The minute those mechanics became reactionary, I enjoyed the game so much more. I don’t believe the devs will ever enjoy those mechanics because they don’t have the experience others so.

Excuse my rant that probably doesn’t make much sense because I’m not fully on the ground at the moment (if you catch my drift).

Edit: Because a dev got upset that my post was “toxic” I’ll add this. BUT I REALLY HOPE THAT YOU GUYS MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICES AND DO WHAT’S BEST FOR THE GAME. I LOVE TBS!

• Great.

I hope to see ninjas vs tanks one of these fine days.

But, stop.

Was this update inspired by Deadliest Warrior Online ?

J2DCXFNQBMs

• @lemonater47:

Blocking attacks from behind isn’t a bug. Nor is it game breaking. I think its awesome.

It is a bug. When I stab someone in the back who is currently parrying another player’s attack whom he’s facing and he parries mine as well, this cannot be intended to happen.

• @Shellshock:

@lemonater47:

It is a bug. When I stab someone in the back who is currently parrying another player’s attack whom he’s facing and he parries mine as well, this cannot be intended to happen.

anyone else notice it happens a lot more post-patch?

• Am I the only one that isn’t too concerned with the state of the game currently. I mean there are some bugs admittedly but nothing I think has been too game-breaking. I’m more bummed out about the wasted potential…

It’s exactly like hearing about how Ben Affleck would be the new Batman in Man of Steel 2. I honestly don’t think he’s a bad actor and I don’t think he’ll do a terrible job, but there are way more, better possibilities,

Exactly how I feel with Chivalry.

• @Shellshock:

@lemonater47:

That is certainly a bug, but when done intentionally, it is awesome. For some reaon, when you parry an attack and another hits at the same time, you parry both attacks. Seems like a 360 wall of protection for that split second (literally) that your parry lasts, which is the source of the “counter-attack parry” bug as well; ie, you block and riposte so fast that the second attack is parried by your counterattack because the parry time is still active.

I seem to recall seeing in the patch notes that it was fixed, but it’s not like those are reliable and since you’re here telling me it’s a problem, I’m going to hazard a guess at the SOURCE of the problem still being present, though maybe they forced a parry to end as soon as you attack as a bandaid fix. TBS is all about bandaid fixes.

• The only bug that seems to really bother me, and this only happens occasionally, is getting stuck in certain areas of the map. It makes me feel like I’m playing Morrowind again.

I’ve played over 150 hours since I got the game in June, and I don’t see too many glitches or problems. Maybe this is just me. :P

This is just from my own experience, I’m probably wrong.

• Indeed I would buy this expansion, but only when bugs and glitches are gone from this one (or maybe if the expansion is at a 75% sale). I thrown enough money into this game, which I feel is like a silent grave :)

Despite the many hours I put in the game. Many of them have been full of frustration.