Chivalry: Deadliest Warrior

• There is no pleasing some people I guess, I’m happy to bow to your superior knowledge of gaming semantics and have corrected by previous post accordingly. Now you appear to of taken I dislike to “those words”, is there any end to your desire to correct my diction? Sadly your semantic fetishism hasn’t actually contributed a great deal to the debate.

You also appear to have mastered a greater understanding my thoughts, clearly gleaned but not actually reading my posts. So; seeing as your happy to express my thoughts as well as your own, I’ll leave you talking to yourself.

However, before you resort to further ad hominem; I’ll suggest that you consider the aphorism; a good time to keep your mouth shut is when you’re in deep water.

• You’re really knockin the guy cuz he has a good vocabulary?? Lol…

• Reginhard and Pilgore - either drop the argument now or take it to PMs, before this becomes several pages of two people’s personal squabble.

• @SlyGoat:

Reginhard and Pilgore - either drop the argument now or take it to PMs, before this becomes several pages of two people’s personal squabble.

I… just… bought popcorn… thanks for ruining it Goat. :(

• @SlyGoat:

Reginhard and Pilgore - either drop the argument now or take it to PMs, before this becomes several pages of two people’s personal squabble.

Great plan; I’d really like communities view of my criticism of TBS’s strategy, rather than reiterate it I’ll just cut and paste the relevant paragraphs from the previous post:-

_Whilst I fully appreciate how tempting it must have been to accept a deal from Spike TV to make a new version of Deadliest Warrior and allow Bushido Feudal Warfare to be produced by the community, I do see this as a poor business decision.

The Creative Assembly is a reasonably successful video game developer, who managed to unencumber themselves from the yoke of Electronic Arts Inc. by independently creating Shogun: Total War, the company’s breakthrough title. It’s possible to draw comparisons between Shogun: Total War and Chivalry Medieval Warfare as both titles were met with critical acclaim, won awards and set the benchmark in their genres.

Unfortunately this is where the comparison ends; following the success of Shogun: Total War, CA produced an expansion pack which maintained the essence of the game and followed that up with Medieval: Total War – same game different setting. The Creative Assembly didn’t produce an expansion pack that introduced a demonstrably unsuccessful concept and they didn’t allow Medieval: Total War to be produced by the community.

I am further miffed by TBS’s decision because a clearly successful business strategy exists and they have reversed risk exposure model. CA started low risk making games for EA and then moved into the unknown. TBS didn’t have the luxury of capital reserves and the continued backing from a larger organisation when they created Chivalry Medieval Warfare, they did it the hard way. With that pedigree I can’t understand why they are now taking, what I can only assume is, the guaranteed income route. At virtually the same phase in their business development; TBS are taking on partners when CA were dumping theirs._

• @SlyGoat:

It’s not anything personal to me, I just find it amazing how some people in this community will always find ways to complain. I shall find my devilishly primitive ignoramus and dastardly feces-collecting pulp of stultifying inanity way out (is that how you do it Reginhard?). This place is depressing.

• Well hot damn. I don’t really like how them chillren goin on an makin them new things, an not makin me holy watur sprankler super bawss again, as well as them otha thins that is kinda big deal. That being said, Samurai are badass, and I will end up buying it to support my favourite indie developer with a case of schizophrenia.

• @Pbrandon1:

I don’t understand the hate for this… They are being paid by Spike TV to make this game for a show called “Deadliest Warrior”.

FALSE. They aren’t making a new game, they are using once again their poor ten years old engine (already used for Medieval Warfare) they never managed to fix. That is the main problem ! =/ I don’t care about the foolishness of mixing time periods.

• I really don’t think that this expansion can or will beat the bushido guys, It’s easy to see. In terms of “Ultimate Feudal Samurai Warrior/Ninja Experience” This expansion just bring a new Samurai class an a katana to the mix (From what I’ve seen) BUT If you were carefull enough to follow Kieran’s and Sam Bushido: SHADOW OF THE SAMURAI http://www.indiedb.com/games/bushido-legend-of-the-samurai new Indiedb site you would already know about all of the stuff they are thinking and making.

A honor system, make and build your own samurai. Just take a look at their new post.

Progress on our Character Customisation feature is going really well, so we thought that its probably time to start providing some concrete details, as well as give the community a chance provide some input whilst we’re still at the early stages of development.

Character Customisation is something we always wanted to include, even when we were still developing Bushido as a mod on the UDK engine. Ever since we made the decision to develop Bushido as a stand-alone game, we’ve been busy designing a system that’ll provide players with both a historically accurate setting, as well a fun and innovative means of progressing their characters!

The core aims of our system are:

To provide players with the flexibility to customise their very own, unique
    Samurai avatar
    To create a game grounded in Japanese culture, but with a ‘cinematic’ take
    on Japanese history - allowing players to choose from thousands of possible combinations
    featuring armor styles from across history.
    To build an unlock system that focus’ on rewarding players in a more personalised way- not simply giving them overpowered weapons or perks.

Creating a unique avatar
    We’ve developed a system that’ll support thousands of possible armor combinations; allowing players to design a Samurai that’s totally unique- something they can really call their own. Although many of
    the features listed below are subject to change/improvements, we can say with some certainly that players will be able to:

Select from a range of different robe/hakama materials, patterns and colours
    Pick from a range of head/faces and hair styles
    Choose from hundreds of armor pieces for the head, torso, arms and legs
    Decide on a mon (emblem) which will represent which clan you fight for
    We’ve still got a lot of work to do, but would love to hear your comments at this early stage of development so we can check that we’re going in the right direction!

Grounding Bushido in history
    It’s never been our intention to turn Bushido into a historically accurate ‘Samurai Sim’. Instead, we’re leaning towards a kind of cinematic realism that you see in films like ‘Heavens Gate’ or ‘The Last Samurai’.

That’s why some of the weapons and armor that’ll feature in the game would not have traditionally been seen together on the battlefield (for example, the Tachi and Katana were designed and produced hundreds of years apart).

This’ll mean that players will start the game wearing a lot of mismatched armor- initially looking like a rabble of poorly armed peasants rather than an elite troop of Samurai. But this in itself is a design
    feature which emulates periods of Japanese history- as lower Samurai often had to borrow armor or scavenge what they could on the battlefield.

Only the elite and most renown Samurai could afford a full matching set- and this is something that we want players to work towards!

Unlockables - NOT for dominating newer players
    We’ve all played multiplayer games that feature unlockable content. Not all of them are guilty of rewarding players with overpowered weapons or perks, but there does seem to be a growing trend where players who are willing to either ‘play more’ or ‘pay more’ gain distinct advantages over more casual players.

That’s why we’re working on a brand new unlock system; one where the ‘rewards’ will focus on progressing and refining your own play-style. We’re still undecided about how we’ll implement some of these features, but the general idea is as follows:

Different weapons and variations can be unlocked as you progess throughout the game
    The player will have the option as to what type of weapons they unlock, be they pole arms, short swords or two handers
    Some weapons, like the Katana, will have a number of variations- each one possessing slightly different statistics as to allow player to developing their own fighting style. Armor will work in much the same way. Individual armor pieces can be unlocked independently- but players will be encouraged to work towards unlocking a full set!
    Unlocks through Experience and Honor
    Our progression system revolves around two distinct concepts- Honor, and Experience. Your current honor ranking will dictate what tier of unlockables you have access to. As you progress through the ranks, new weapons or variations of weapons you’ve already unlocked will become available to you- allowing you to further specialize and refine your combat style.

Our honor system works both ways, so if you have very low honor (dishonor) you’ll gain access to a unique set of weapons that wouldn’t be available to players at the opposite end of the spectrum (possibly Ninja weapons and armor).

You can then effectively ‘buy’ a weapon or armor piece using your experience points.

A final word
    You’ll have to bear in mind that these systems are still being developed and will be subject to change as development on the game continues. However, we hope that we’ve been able to give you a glimse of what Bushido will be able to offer on its release.

The good news is that because we’re still at this early stage, we’re still able to take feedback from the community! That said, please keep your feedback constructive- we read every single comment and would love to hear YOUR thoughts on this particular aspect of Bushido.

Thanks,
    Team Bushid

• Bushidooooo.

• @Pbrandon1:

2. Do you really think that the money they make from Chivalry will keep the lights open. Not a lot of people are buying this game like how they wanted. They need to keep doors open so you guys can receive more updates, not just be left with a buggy, unfixed game. I think making a new game that is FUNDED by a major network company is the right choice.

Well now hold on…Chivalry has sold over 1.2 million copies so far so let’s do some simple math.

Let’s cut down on complications and go for a minimum estimate of what TB could have made. If we assume Chivalry sold 1.2 million copies at 12$ each (which we know isn’t true but let’s just do it this way for now to keep things simple) then you end up with 14,400,000$. We know Valve takes a cut of roughly 1/3 so TB keeps 9,504,000$. That amount of money should keep a studio their size running for a loooong time, not to mention the money they are making from DLC helmets. Again my math is not intended to be perfect, Chivalry sold many many copies at full price and many many copies on sale under 12$.

PS. The 9-10 million dollar minimum could still vanish pretty quickly depending on how much TBS paid their founding staff after the game was successful. For all we know they got six figure bonuses nearing one million each. The only other major expense my rough calculation doesn’t take into account is the Unreal licensing cost. I have no idea how much money they owed Epic games for that.

Edit: From what I have read the Unreal license could have cost TB anywhere from 300k to 750k.

• I bought 2 copies of the game. :o :D :o

• i bought 6, 1 for me and random steam/irl friends. loved the game so much i wanted my buddies to have it. couldnt pass up the summer steam sale.

• Besides my earlier comment about the supposed groin shot to Bushido, I’m pretty intrigued by the idea. I’m a little disappointed by the choice to first start with the Samurai/Spartan angle for the trailer, but I’ll reserve full judgment on the game till we hear more about what other cultures will be present in the game.

But let me clarify my groin shot comment. I only said that because the footage of the map in the trailer with the samurai walking around the pagoda’s and such looked eerily similar to the screen shots the Bushido mod posted before going solo. The connection forced me to conclude that perhaps more then a little inspiration for this maps was taken from the mod.

Again, anyway, I’m reserving judgment until I hear what other cultures will be available. I think people are forgetting that these are only two of the races, and there will be more. Amazon’s maybe? Finally get a female model in game.

• @Vlad:

… BUT If you were carefull enough to follow Kieran’s and Sam Bushido: SHADOW OF THE SAMURAI http://www.indiedb.com/games/bushido-legend-of-the-samurai new Indiedb site you would already know about all of the stuff they are thinking and making.

I had no idea how advanced this is, actually I still don’t really know because I don’t have a firm take on the work involved. This looks to me like the game TBS should of done next, still I’m glad someone is producing it. Wonder what the Unity engine is like; it’s free to use, just hope free doesn’t equal bad.

• Decided to check up on the good ol’ chiv forums and found this thread. Though I stopped playing chiv since the big customization/balance patch a few months ago figure I’d comment.

Glad to see most community members have about the same reaction I have to this. TBS had a great concept for a game when they first made AOC and made a decent attempt at realizing it with CMW, but they really haven’t proven themselves a competent company nor have they really followed through with the completion of the game. As most have pointed out, that video doesn’t have quality content or nearly enough to justify their effort. Not to mention the idea is off. They ought to know their community better, but who really knows if they care anymore. Money is more real then some pissed off guys on the forum.

Speaking of money, do they even need to make more money? Apparently they sold over 1.2 million full-sale copies at $25.00 a piece. That’s 30 million dollars on a game developed by 3-4 people. I’m not totally sure what they did with the money, but say they hired 10 employees with varying salaries which we could average out to a fair 60,000 a year. Take 10 million from profits for this; if they used 1 million to buy an office, they could use the remaining 9 million to hire 10 employees for 15 years. So they have 20 million to divide amongst themselves so lets take 10 million, a hugely unrealistic portion of their profits, away for things like paying steam, other portals, and marketing/server maint/misc. That’s 10 million divided by 3 people which is a fuckload (read: 3.33 million) for 2-3 years of work. You could live pretty comfortably on that money or at least finish the original game that made you so much money.

There’s some screwed up shit going on behind the scenes for sure. Not even gonna get into the fact that they totally ripped off the bushido mod which would indeed directly take away from this DLC (or w/e you want to call it).

Annnnnd I’m gone again. poof (I’ll probably be back when the modding framework goes live :O)

• @RavenDice:

Besides my earlier comment about the supposed groin shot to Bushido, I’m pretty intrigued by the idea. I’m a little disappointed by the choice to first start with the Samurai/Spartan angle for the trailer, but I’ll reserve full judgment on the game till we hear more about what other cultures will be present in the game.

But let me clarify my groin shot comment. I only said that because the footage of the map in the trailer with the samurai walking around the pagoda’s and such looked eerily similar to the screen shots the Bushido mod posted before going solo. The connection forced me to conclude that perhaps more then a little inspiration for this maps was taken from the mod.

Again, anyway, I’m reserving judgment until I hear what other cultures will be available. I think people are forgetting that these are only two of the races, and there will be more. Amazon’s maybe? Finally get a female model in game.

There weren’t any amazons in Deadliest Warrior if I remember correctly…and did you really just call them “races” lol?!

• Hi guys. Normally I just lurk these forums, since I feel that taking part in standard multiplayer game balance drama is not worth the time. Also, mod support is coming, so any woes I might have will be fixed by the community anyway.

This time I decided to register and post, because I completely don’t understand the negativity here.

1. Yes, we all wait for a proper expansion, this is not it, the way I see it, it’s an officially blessed mod and there’s nothing wrong with that.
    2. It’s completely optional. You will still be able to play without samurai or ninjas or whatever. You don’t have to buy it if you don’t like the idea.
    3. You say the team should fix bugs instead of releasing this. As far as I understand, TB is NOT making this expansion (at least not in full capacity), 345 Games is, TB is only overseeing the project and collecting money from Spike. How is this bad if it’s going to be optional anyway? And this way TB will get more money to spend on the main game.

I swear, people on the Internet are so negative sometimes, everything’s bad, let’s not discuss it, let’s just hate it.

• @Slight:

Speaking of money, do they even need to make more money? Apparently they sold over 1.2 million full-sale copies at $25.00 a piece.

I would wager that the majority of their sales came when their game was on sale for 50-66% off. It’s ahrd to say how many of their sales came from full price and how many came from the Steam sales. I would say a decent assumption could be made that about 40% of their sales were from full priced and 60% were 50-66% off. You also have to figure in cut that Valve takes (roughly 1/3 or less from what I’ve heard) and the price of the Unreal Engine license (anywhere from 300k-750k). See my post a few posts above.

• @aidenn:

Hi guys. Normally I just lurk these forums, since I feel that taking part in standard multiplayer game balance drama is not worth the time. Also, mod support is coming, so any woes I might have will be fixed by the community anyway.

This time I decided to register and post, because I completely don’t understand the negativity here.

1. Yes, we all wait for a proper expansion, this is not it, the way I see it, it’s an officially blessed mod and there’s nothing wrong with that.
    2. It’s completely optional. You will still be able to play without samurai or ninjas or whatever. You don’t have to buy it if you don’t like the idea.
    3. You say the team should fix bugs instead of releasing this. As far as I understand, TB is NOT making this expansion (at least not in full capacity), 345 Games is, TB is only overseeing the project and collecting money from Spike. How is this bad if it’s going to be optional anyway? And this way TB will get more money to spend on the main game.

I swear, people on the Internet are so negative sometimes, everything’s bad, let’s not discuss it, let’s just hate it.

:D :D
    I know a lot of people feel this way, even just looking at the Chivalry facebook page there’s a lot more people saying positive things where as here everything just seems negative.