A few concerns

• I finally got around to writting this up. Some thoughts in general on Chivalry, DW… thoughts / worries I have.

Anyways let’s start off light,

I’m curious what the crossover will be between players who own the expansion and those that do not. Referring to the new UI improvements we saw today and the changes to combat (faster movement speed being the critical change I’ve noted so far). I know the new maps and classes will be in the expansion only, but the more subtle changes can still cause a nightmare to a community if the crossover is limited. Also, will the exapsion be standalone or will you need base Chivalry to play it?

For example, if you get used to vanilla chivalry, buy the expansion and find out it has a significantly different feel, I’m not sure everyone would like that. Not in a game that depends on intricate and precise knowledge of the mechanics involved. On the other hand, changing mechanics for everyone when the expansion launches can also lead to issues as well. Not everyone might like them, and we’ve already had a wave of large changes that drove a fork in the community (at least those who’ve been around a while). Of course, it’s your game, expansion or not, to make changes to…

And now we transition to the bigger concern,

What is your vision for Chivalry in general? It’s been an incredible success by every measure of the word. Over 1,200,000 copies sold. Damn. I still remember a while back on the forums I was trying to guess how many copies had been sold. I think I had it pegged at less than 100k. I also remember reading that no one in TBS expected it to be anywhere near as successful as it was.

So, with such an incredible surge of success, not surprisingly it’s very easy to get carried away in the thrill of things without a clear picture of what you truly want to do next. And… it’s hard to appeal to everyone but easy to think you can.

To the meat of things, I think DW is an entertaining addition to the game, but it’s just another layer of icing. A curious diversion. It doesn’t affect the core of the cake, nor does it improve much on it. Minor tweaks and improvements certainly help; but I fear especially with the folks around here who are testing the expansion so far, that deep down it’s not quite what we were hoping for.

I don’t say this to offend, merely to inform on what I’m thinking. I’m trying to be honest.

I’ve been around since the start of Chivalry. This game is bloody awesome and there isn’t a single one even close to it yet. Yet it’s not really being looked at seriously. This is my gravest concern. New maps, significant changes to the flow of combat in general with the movement speed change and an influx of new classes… that’s light hearted fun but a nightmare to balance.

I appear to be rambling, so let me finish on this note:

I think DW is an interesting but casual addition to a game that I wish was moving in a more serious light. I won’t lie, I would still play it even if all character models were turned into carebears and arrows were rainbow colored hearts. You’ve got me under your spell. However, I know where I really wanted this game to go, I’ve had dreams (I’m a geek deal with it) of castle conquests, persistent battles on very large maps, expansions to current TO objectives, intense focus on polish, bug fixing and improved spectator mode. All of which are elements that are critical for the game to be taken and played on any sort of genuinely competitive level.

If this isn’t the idea you have for chivalry, that’s entirely your prerogative. I merely don’t want to entertain false hopes that this game will become something it cannot.

• Siege Mode. If you released that for Vanilla Chiv, while this whole DW thing was going on, you’d be loved forever by your fans. I remember Tibs hinting about it way back in a video. But if you dropped that while people are apprehensive about this expansion, then you would win people over by making them realize you are catering to everyone.

Or is Siege Mode going to be the staple for Chiv 2… Seems a bit early for that. But who knows.

• Developer

@The:

I know the new maps and classes will be in the expansion only, but the more subtle changes can still cause a nightmare to a community if the crossover is limited. Also, will the exapsion be standalone or will you need base Chivalry to play it?

It’s an expansion.

C:DW and C:MW do not coexist. They might coexist within the server browser if you own both, but they’re otherwise separate. We will likely allow mod teams to move scripts between the two games. We’re going to continue improving both games; applicable optimizations and bug fixes made to C:DW will move to C:MW and vice-versa. The base engine code is shared between the two; the scripts are not, but they’re similar enough that we can move most changes back-and-forth between them without much difficulty.

@The:

On the other hand, changing mechanics for everyone when the expansion launches can also lead to issues as well. Not everyone might like them, and we’ve already had a wave of large changes that drove a fork in the community (at least those who’ve been around a while). Of course, it’s your game, expansion or not, to make changes to…

I don’t know exactly what you’re driving at here, but:

• We have no plans for major mechanics changes in C:MW.
    • C:DW will feel different. We don’t have any interest in just making C:MW again, it already exists.

• Right, so they will be separate and significantly different. That’s good to know. Of course you want an expansion to be different, but I think if you go too far on that it may turn people off who’ve been playing since the start. Personally I’ve found it difficult to adapt to the combat in DW so far. The increased speed and faster weapons means less dragging and also more importance placed on accuracy. It’s still Chivalry at the core but after investing hundreds of hours into vanilla, it’s hard to change I suppose?

That was just the light question though, a concern sure but not the biggest one. I’d really love to know what you guys want for chivalry as a whole, that’s your primary focus, and do you ever want it to be taken as a serious competitive game?