Disappointing Game…

• I am an avid gamer and have just gotten into steam games. Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is one of the first games that I have picked up on steam. I have to say that I am thoroughly disappointed. There seem to be a ton of programming errors and flaws. The terrain seems to contain a multitude of un-rounded polygons, causing the player to get stuck on something like a blade of grass or side of a wall, there seems to be a lot of collision issues when it comes to combat and movement, and there seem to be a substantial amount of glitches that allow players to exploit. I truly wish that I wouldn’t have spent $25.00 USD on this game because it has been nothing but frustrating. If this is how Torn Banner Studios releases games out of beta testing, I think that it is safe to say that I will never buy, or recommend anything by these programmers and designers ever again.

• So… Why post about it here?

What in Lord Buddha’s name are you hoping to accomplish?

Instead of saying, “I dislike this game, because of reasons.” and not playing it anymore, you take the time to make an account on a forum sponsoring a game you supposedly dislike and then tell the hard-working devs that they can’t code, etc.

If you feel you’re out $25, then just get the most of your money. It is what you make of it.

Why post about it here?

• @Mike_Effing_Jones:

@Arsonist:

I am an avid gamer and have just gotten into steam games.

Full stop.

You’re full of shit.

Lol I saw that too.

/facepalm

• I’m curious to know what all these exploits are op is talking about. I’m not aware of hardly any that are gamebreaking.

• @?B:

I’m curious to know what all these exploits are op is talking about. I’m not aware of hardly any that are gamebreaking.

Feinting, mouse dragging, MAA dodge spamming, ‘dance’ style playing (known as run’n’gun in FPS games)

Am I missing any?

• @Event:

@?B aearsley91:

I’m curious to know what all these exploits are op is talking about. I’m not aware of hardly any that are gamebreaking.

Feinting, mouse dragging, MAA dodge spamming, ‘dance’ style playing (known as run’n’gun in FPS games)

Am I missing any?

Right…You do realize swing manipulation and feinting/dancing are intended mechanics, and as for MAA dodge spamming, they’ll just run out of stamina…

• @Mike_Effing_Jones:

@Arsonist:

I am an avid gamer and have just gotten into steam games.

Full stop.

You’re full of shit.

Coz you’re not able to play games without using steam? :hopel:

• Jesus a new guy comes into the forums as his first post with a problem and you all explode in his face like angry bee-filled landmines. Does no one remember what their first 10-20 hours of play were like?

Arsonist, Chivalry takes a very extensive degree of familiarity and ‘background knowledge’. It is a purely PvP game, so as a new player you face a very steep learning curve in fighting against people who may have sunk literally thousands of hours into the game squeezing every drop of advantage from the mechanics. Everyone kind of goes through this at the beginning (at least that I’ve met).

Yes there will be bugs, yes certain techniques will look broken. If you put some time into learning how, when and where to fight the game will make a lot more sense. I’ll be the first to admit Torn Banner is a long way from perfect, and yes the terrain in particular gets on my nerves at times. However its an even playing field for everyone, and once you learn how to navigate around some of the more annoying issues and pull your reflexes up to par, the game can be incredibly intense, fast paced and fun.

[Unless you’re an archer main like me and exist to ruin other people’s fun. You’ll get into that later.]

• people like to herd up against anyone with a negative opinion to get some kind of extra credit points with moderators or developers on the forum…

it’s okay to think differently man, have an opinion OP

• @Tree0ctopus:

@Event:

@?B aearsley91:

Am I missing any?

Right…You do realize swing manipulation and feinting/dancing are intended mechanics, and as for MAA dodge spamming, they’ll just run out of stamina…

Dancing isn’t really Intended. But its not hard to combat. Like with kiting you just stand still. And hey changed it so when you parry you stop their sprint.

An to everyone else about the OP having an opinion. Yes he’s allowed to have one. People are just sharing their opinions about his opinion.

• @clayton-bigsby:

people like to herd up against anyone with a negative opinion to get some kind of extra credit points with moderators or developers on the forum…

it’s okay to think differently man, have an opinion OP

But… But… But he needs to have the right opinion! :O

• pff… there is no right opinion on these here forms

• @Tree0ctopus:

@Event:

@?B aearsley91:

Am I missing any?

I think Event Horizon was kidding. Or at least I hope :/ As none of these are exploits.

• @Arsonist:

[…] There seem to be a ton of programming errors and flaws. The terrain seems to contain a multitude of un-rounded polygons, causing the player to get stuck on something like a blade of grass or side of a wall, there seems to be a lot of collision issues when it comes to combat and movement, and there seem to be a substantial amount of glitches that allow players to exploit. […]

All of this is true. If you really are an avid gamer with maybe a pinch of interest and knowledge of let’s say programming/game mechanics and start the game the very first time you will be disappointed. It feels clunky and like a mod full of hacks instead of proper coding.

If you’re one of those guys who say “You cannot feel a difference between 30 and 60 frames per second because the human can only see 30 fps”, you will probably like the game from the start.

Yes I love the game, put fucking 400 hrs in it but I am still disappointed with it.

• @fvonb:

@Arsonist:

[…] There seem to be a ton of programming errors and flaws. The terrain seems to contain a multitude of un-rounded polygons, causing the player to get stuck on something like a blade of grass or side of a wall, there seems to be a lot of collision issues when it comes to combat and movement, and there seem to be a substantial amount of glitches that allow players to exploit. […]

All of this is true. If you really are an avid gamer with maybe a pinch of interest and knowledge of let’s say programming/game mechanics and start the game the very first time you will be disappointed. It feels clunky and like a mod full of hacks instead of proper coding.

If you’re one of those guys who say “You cannot feel a difference between 30 and 60 frames per second because the human can only see 30 fps”, you will probably like the game from the start.

Yes I love the game, put fucking 400 hrs in it but I am still disappointed with it.

The unreal engine is a bitch to use and make games with. Its actually tempermental.

If you want to see clunky go play any other multiplayer medieval game on the market. That’s clunky.

Regarding FPS and idiots saying you can’t see the difference between 30-60 becuase you eyes are locked at 30. Your right that is bullshit. But your eyes don’t see at a frame rate but at the same time they do. The average person in a normal situation sees at a frame rate 40-50 normally. So the difference between 30 and 60 is very noticeable. Now the difference between 60 and 90 is far less noticeable. But your brain manages to pick up a slight difference between the two frame rates. An interesting thing I found is when you shake your hand fast in front of you fast you see all your fingers blur into one. But if you record it was a camera that records at 400FPS then play the video on a 400Hz monitor you see next to no motion blur and you can make out each individual finger.

• @Sniperyeti:

Jesus a new guy comes into the forums as his first post with a problem and you all explode in his face like angry bee-filled landmines. Does no one remember what their first 10-20 hours of play were like?

Actually, a lot of the old guard around here will not have had the same experience in their first 10-20 hours that today’s new players will. A lot of these guys have been around since Day 1, or close enough to it, when people were still figuring out the game and developing techniques. There were no Rank 50s to come in and spaz out and go 50-0, there were mostly just other newbies. Even when I joined in, I think like October or something, I seldom saw a rank 30+; most people were in the teens or early 20s. I almost never saw dancing or back-turned overheads or any of that stuff.

I imagine it’s a hell of a lot more frustrating to join now than it was back then. As I’ve said in other threads, I think a lot of the high-level moves look strange and often counter-intuitive. Instant look-down overheads, back-turned overheads, super slow-mo dragged swings that somehow still deal full damage. There are ways to deal with all of it (well, instant overheads…), but none of it is covered in the little tutorial and new players aren’t going to see any of it coming. I don’t blame people for thinking they’re bugs and/or exploits, though I suppose I prefer that they ask first, rather than assuming they aren’t features.

And there are weird little bugs, like getting stuck on a wall on a rock, being unable to fit your model through a space that you swear you should be able to fit through, phantom/ghost swings, flying vanguard charges, etc. You get used to it after a while, but at first blush it probably doesn’t look good.

EDIT: Also, angry bee-filled landmines are OP.

• @lemonater47:

The unreal engine is a bitch to use and make games with. Its actually tempermental.

If you want to see clunky go play any other multiplayer medieval game on the market. That’s clunky.

Well, honestly I don’t care if the engine is a bitch to use or if any other games are worse (or better). I want this game to live up to its potential because I paid for it. This could be achieved by proper patching and not just releasing hack after hack. Redo some stuff from scratch when they are plainly broken. Do pair programming. Have a public bug tracker with a voting system (like Arma 3).

• Lol ?B aearsley91 seems to be the only one who caught my blatant sarcasm. GG everyone!

• And there are weird little bugs, like getting stuck on a wall on a rock, being unable to fit your model through a space that you swear you should be able to fit through, phantom/ghost swings, flying vanguard charges, etc. You get used to it after a while, but at first blush it probably doesn’t look good.

any one that thinks these thing are ok and tolerable should get kicked in the face multiple times.
    what you just discribed is fucking horrible and unacceptable a year after the game has been out my friend and you are an idiot if you think otherwise.

about the op
    hes yet another dissapointed and screwed over customer getting trolled by all of you yet again, all you have to do is look at any forum topics on here to realize he is right, this game has more bugs then a god dam jungle and you all know its true, so dont even act like this game is flawless, yeah its a great concept but tb’s execution is piss poor at best as far as fixing the bugs and making it better for everyone.

look at their stickies in each section of the forums, it tells you what is more important to them then our satisfaction, stealing more of your hard earned money while they fix nothing and just make it worse with nerf after nerf after ridicolous nerf.

dont be a fool and think any diff.