Hittrading with Van's charge-attack

• Am I the only one who thinks this is annoying? Of course you can just block the charge attack or try to dodge it. But I think it doesn’t make any sense that it can’t be interrupted. Especially the de-syncs and the animations make it even more weird. Sometimes I hit a running Vanguard while the charge attack animation is not even there and get one-hit killed right after that. But even without these bugs I think you should be able to punish the incorrect usage of the charge attack more. Atm every noob can charge attack in a group of people knowing that he can’t be stopped (as long he’s not getting one-hit killed).

• @afiNity:

Atm every noob can charge attack in a group of people knowing that he can’t be stopped.

So true. In fact, when people lose too much, they pick a Vanguard with Zweï and start charge-attacking everything knowing they will die but after having killed enough guys to have a good ratio. And at the end of the fight, guess who’s on top of the scoreboard ?! Damn, this kind of practising should call out to devs !!!

• I’m always able to LMB him as soon as the charge becomes apparent, strafe around to his backside mid-charge, and stab him in the back of the head before he knows what’s going on. The footwork to get to his backside is of course difficult (and a pain in the ass because it’s easy to mess up) since you have to make sure both your hits connect and his doesn’t. When done correctly though it’s so smooth it’s almost like it’s intended.

• The ending lag went from 1-2 seconds to almost nothing, making charge attacks nigh-impossible to punish and (if not parried) letting vanguards attack again almost immediately to get another hit in faster than a combo would. The distance being closed with the leap is pretty crazy too which makes it difficult to get around it or out of range. Using the new charge attack is always a no-brainer at least with swords.

Maybe it’s worth pointing out that 9 out of 10 charge attacks I die to are from stupid teammates. Charge attack into friendlies was already the scrub vanguard trademark ability and it’s racking up so much teamdamage nowadays I just wish it would be nerfed back to shit.

• It is kind of a pain, most of the time you’ll be forced to block it, which will drain nearly 1/3 of your stamina. Then, due to the flinch and knockback of blocking a charge attack, the vanguard can attack immediately afterwards with a 2nd regular attack that will also have to be blocked. So at the end of the assault you’re left with half of your stamina.

I still don’t really like the new system of low stamina but really fast regen. It used to be good for dealing with people who play too defensively, where they would just run out of stamina. But since the stamina cost of blocking/parrying had been reduced (except for the buckler, for whatever reason). This is even harder to do. It leads to this scenario where, if you miss the tiny window during the stun/flinch caused by running out of stamina because you didn’t attack immediately as it starts or your opponents teammate holds your attention for just a second, all your effort will have gone to waste.

This is why a lot of players will drag swings, jump around, use the hit-and-run tactic of sprinting away, starting your windup while you do so, then turn around using the other two tactics, or even both. You can blow all your stamina because there’s no real reason to conserve it with how quickly it regenerates unless you’re in a group fight, but that’s a whole other story.

• Yesterday on a duel server some guy kept charge attacking me and kicking me right after that. It was fucking annoying because in a duel there is not much I can do except for blocking or trying to charge attack him before he can charge attack me. If I try to hit him with a regular attack before he attacks me I’m dead (cause I get hit anyway) and if I block him I’m stunned and pretty much dead as well.

Also it’s a joke how long and in which range the charge attack with swords deals damage.

• Man you guys would bitch about the sun being too bright if your heads weren’t so far up your asses

• @Mike_Effing_Jones:

Man you guys would bitch about the sun being too bright if your heads weren’t so far up your asses

This

No need to nerf the charge attack. it’s already nearing uselessness.

• @Event:

@Mike_Effing_Jones:

Man you guys would bitch about the sun being too bright if your heads weren’t so far up your asses

This

No need to nerf the charge attack. it’s already nearing uselessness.

Not sure which game you play

• someone suggested more of an overhead charge attack for swords (which is the only annoying charge attacks) which I think seems like a rather good idea. I don’t like the fact that the tip can hit your toe and take 70% of your hp.

• @Mike_Effing_Jones:

'Guys, just noticed how bright the sun is. I think it needs to go.

• @Mike_Effing_Jones:

'Guys, just noticed how bright the sun is. I think it needs to go.

• @afiNity:

Yesterday on a duel server some guy kept charge attacking me and kicking me right after that. It was fucking annoying because in a duel there is not much I can do except for blocking or trying to charge attack him before he can charge attack me. If I try to hit him with a regular attack before he attacks me I’m dead (cause I get hit anyway) and if I block him I’m stunned and pretty much dead as well.

Also it’s a joke how long and in which range the charge attack with swords deals damage.

Why couldn’t you just block the charge attack and either avoid the kick by sprinting to one side or just, you know, take the 5 damage and then hit him?

• Interesting you bring this topic up. I almost exclusively stab a vanguard that is charging me instead of parrying the attack (I only do this if we both know we’re going to engage starting from a distance; if it’s spontaneous I’ll parry it). People wonder why I do this, but it works for some reason. I side step the vanguard’s attack and stab, no hit trade(usually), and he’s now one hit away before the fight has really started. It sounds like a risky tactic, but it works probably 80% of the time. When it fails however, people ask why I just didn’t parry it :D They don’t see the other 4/5 times that it works. I guess the success of this tactic is really owed to the fact that I understand once the jump initiates, the vanguard cannot change direction, he goes the direction he aimed the jump. Because of this, it’s pretty easy to side step. Worst case scenario, I hit trade, which is the perk of being a knight.

• @Daiyuki:

@afiNity:

Yesterday on a duel server some guy kept charge attacking me and kicking me right after that. It was fucking annoying because in a duel there is not much I can do except for blocking or trying to charge attack him before he can charge attack me. If I try to hit him with a regular attack before he attacks me I’m dead (cause I get hit anyway) and if I block him I’m stunned and pretty much dead as well.

Why couldn’t you just block the charge attack and either avoid the kick by sprinting to one side or just, you know, take the 5 damage and then hit him?

Of course I can block him but how would I avoid the kick when I’m already stunned from the block?

My problem is that my only option is to block him and get stunned. I can try to get out of range but the range of the sword-charge is too big in 9/10 of the cases so I get hit anyway.

• I’ve always felt that the charge is indicative of the massive initial attack vanguard class. It does have it uses for example as a softener against a shield wall, but regardless of this, if the attack wasn’t there/nerfed/interruptable then the class would become more like a squishy knight.

I think the uninterruptable nature also means it forces people to be aware of their surroundings a bit more - to either block or get out of the way or put an object between them if they can see the attack coming (And to be fair it’s a pretty obvious attack).

• Wow; I didn’t realise the vanguard’s charge attack is uninterruptible. A side step to the left with a simultaneous alt swing normally connects, followed by overhead/stab combo generally results in a dead vanguard 50% of the time.

Wonder what I’m doing wrong/right?

• There really is more important balance issue than charge attack. I rarely even see any good vanguards use it.

• Doesn’t really interrupt them per se, but the throwing axe is a great counter to a charging van if you have the opportunity, provided they’ve taken a bit of damage they generally drop dead on impact.

Would be nice to see the charge work both ways though, ie hitting them mid-charge doing more damage than usual, or something along those lines.

• I sincerly have to agree a bit with afinity. The largest problem with the charge attack is the glitchy animation and sometimes 10 meters jump (a bit over the top). I sincerly despise when I hit someone right when they begin their charge, thats before they even jump, during this time the animation is gone just gone. This is a problem because I can’t see a charge incoming so I attack again and bam I’m hit by a chargeattack, but where from? from the dude just standing there? must be there’s no one else around.