Ridiculous wide ranged attacks

• Two things happened to me last night that really made me go ‘wtf’. Now, this is all opinions on my part, but I just wanted to throw these out there to see what everyone thinks and whether or not they agree with how I feel.

1. Overhead hitting behind me.
      During a game of TDM. I played a Knight with a grand mace. I performed an overhead attack to strike an enemy (which missed as he backed away). At the same, a friendly MaA brushed against my back as he tried to sprint past me. My overhead not only hit the MaA, it killed and decapitated him.

He was behind me, and I was sure I wasn’t lagging. (this was at midnight, and there were only 6 people.)

I’ve also done this with a Bardiche in beta patch 1. Although smaller weapons can’t do this, I seem to be able to hit people right behind me, as in direct contact right behind, with overheads on long reach weapons. I don’t know about you, but my overheads should not hit behind me. Ever. I think the hit detections need to be tweaked a bit.

1. Immense horizontal slash range on larger weapons.
      During another game of objectives, I was a vanguard with a Halberd. I swing a slash at an enemy in front of me (who avoids it by backing away). An enemy I didn’t even see was there on my right is decapitated by my slash. If my front view and crosshair was 12 o’clock then this enemy was running up to me at around 3 or 4, clear off my screen. As the slash finishes, an ally running up to me at 9 o’clock is hit and injured by my slash. He wasn’t on my screen either.

I hit two people that weren’t on my screen with one wide slash, and neither one was a target either. That’s just stupid.

Just to add, I have seen countless times where a vanguard’s sword slash decapitates multiple enemies and allies around him. Again, it doesn’t make a lot of sense. Multi-kills are fun, but not realistic at such an extreme.

While I understand that wide reach is the appeal of larger weapons, and being able to hit multiple opponents in a horizontal line is the appeal of the slash attack, I don’t think either should be so much so that slashes can hit enemies not on my screen. I think the effective area of slashes should be shortened to a line directly in front of you, not the entire weapon arc. I think this might limit the effectiveness of slashspamming in clustered fights, and prevent clumsy mistakes with larger weapons in close quarters.

Anyways, let me know what you think.

• Oh god no…

Don’t blame your lack of situational awareness on the weapons. I make a point of knowing whats around me if I’m going to be using slash attacks.

• @Blindga:

1. Immense horizontal slash range on larger weapons.

+1,it’s mainly the sword of the vanguard that i think has a too wide slash.

• @Sir:

Oh god no…

Don’t blame your lack of situational awareness on the weapons. I make a point of knowing whats around me if I’m going to be using slash attacks.

While situational awareness is nice, it should not be required to slash. I’m not firing a nuke, i’m trying to cut someone. I don’t need to know that some guy is going to run up to me three seconds from now to know it’s ok to do a simple slash.

• I think once big, slow weapons are more balanced for duel situations, they’re going to have to take a hit on multi-opponent situations. Full damage friendly fire would be a step in the right direction for competitive games, but it would add to the general frustration of slashfests in pub servers. Maybe decreasing the damage dealt with each person hit?

• personally it just seems silly to be able to cleave through multiple people. the force required to decapitate someone in one swing is pretty large by itself, let alone chopping multiple heads off with one blow. i feel either damage should severely drop after initial contact, or the swing should just stop. just my 2 cents though

• I don’t think the ability to hit multiple enemies with a single swing should ever be removed. It’s one of the things that makes Chivalry’s combat so smooth IMO.

• Yea if your swing would stop on the first opponent you’d have no chance fighting multiple opponents.

• @-Slash-:

Yea if your swing would stop on the first opponent you’d have no chance fighting multiple opponents.

well, i feel no one should be taking on 3+ guys to begin with so i suppose i am slightly biased in that sense.

i still think the damage should drop by a percentage based on how many targets you contact.

• Well, ok it’s a game :P

Gameplay>realism.

• @Cias:

@-Slash-:

Yea if your swing would stop on the first opponent you’d have no chance fighting multiple opponents.

well, i feel no one should be taking on 3+ guys to begin with so i suppose i am slightly biased in that sense.

i still think the damage should drop by a percentage based on how many targets you contact.

Aiming a gun is very different in a videogame than it is in real life as well, obviously. If you’re in a 3 on 1 gunfight, you’re probably not going to survive. But in a videogame a veteran player will have no problem dispatching all three of them with a few well placed headshots before they can even get a bead on him. It should be the same way in a melee combat game, or else the skill ceiling is just too low. Gameplay trumps realism all day every day.

But yeah - for the sake of balance, decrease in damage hitting multiple enemies would make sense. But not until problems with heavy weapons in duels and small skirmishes are sorted out. I think ideally all weapons should be as close to balanced as possible in both duel/skirmish and large clash situations - obviously there will always be advantages, faster weapons will generally be better in duels no matter how close you get the balance and larger ones generally better in clashes, but right now it feels like polar opposites. In small servers the Man-at-Arms is king, while in large servers he’s scarcely seen.