Re-balance parry tracer

• The suggestion is to increase the parry tracer further down the shaft of the weapons.

• this would not be an issue if the collusion bubble was returned to it’s previous size….

• @Retsnom:

this would not be an issue if the collusion bubble was returned to it’s previous size….

That would actually make the issue worse.

The bubble Makes it easier to parry not harder. It makes it so you don’t have I run as much to parry. It also made it so stabs don’t go through parrys at facehug range. Though that was the easy way out rather than adjusting the parry tracers on weapons.

What it does do wrong is make fist fights horrible and chasing people with short weapons a bitch. Also the jav shield bash is hard to do.

• @lemonater47:

@Retsnom:

this would not be an issue if the collusion bubble was returned to it’s previous size….

That would actually make the issue worse.

The bubble Makes it easier to parry not harder. It makes it so you don’t have I run as much to parry. It also made it so stabs don’t go through parrys at facehug range. Though that was the easy way out rather than adjusting the parry tracers on weapons.

What it does do wrong is make fist fights horrible and chasing people with short weapons a bitch. Also the jav shield bash is hard to do.

Well at least vanguards got kinda buffed in the patch with the bubble. Now they’re one of the only reliable classes that can chase down and hit people with their charge attacks and 10ft long twohanders.

• LOLS, Really Lemon? So let me get this straight… Pre bubble parrys actually works as advertised. Now with the bubble the parrys really dont work or need to work and thanks to the bubble making swings miss, those who could not actually parry correctly are saved by the swings missing… Yeah that makes sense…Dumbing down the game so noobs can get kills FTW!

Why can you not admit the bubble is the worst idea in the last patch to combat a non issue? Face hugging was never an issue from someone with experience, skills and knowing how to keep the right distance. Now with the bubble, what is the exact distance per weapon? lols yeah total and complete logic there… :hopel:

• @Retsnom:

LOLS, Really Lemon? So let me get this straight… Pre bubble parrys actually works as advertised. Now with the bubble the parrys really dont work or need to work and thanks to the bubble making swings miss, those who could not actually parry correctly are saved by the swings missing… Yeah that makes sense…Dumbing down the game so noobs can get kills FTW!

Why can you not admit the bubble is the worst idea in the last patch to combat a non issue? Face hugging was never an issue from someone with experience, skills and knowing how to keep the right distance. Now with the bubble, what is the exact distance per weapon? lols yeah total and complete logic there… :hopel:

It is a horrible idea. I’m just saying removing te bubble won’t make parrys any more reliable. Shit went through them before the bubble anyway.

Its a server side issue. It happens tons on official servers and practically never happens at all on the servers I play on nowadays.

It was made to stop stabs going right trough parrys 100% of the time at facehug range. Thy was the easy way out. What they should have done is adjust the tracers so that doesn’t happen.

I was thinking for stabs they could start the tracers at the hilt of the weapon. And when release starts the tracers move from the hilt to the tip in a tiny space of time meaning that the tracers will collide with the parry. Instead of the tracers starting behind the parrys.

That way they can remove the bubble. Or at least make it a lot smaller

• I don’t think anyone in TBS really cares about this stuff anymore and I’m quite certain nothing is ever going to change with regards to these basic flaws in the game, but how about this:

If a weapon is inside an enemy during its wind-up phase it is treated as if it hit the wall or another surface, would prevent all manner of cheesy glitches and exploits, face hugging included.

Yup, how about making it that you actually need to pick up momentum before you just place your sword inside an armored person.

• @Retsnom:

The way I see it, the collision bubble was implemented as a [incorrect]fix for this very problem. Of course, the suggestion would also fix many other issues.

• @lemonater47:

I was thinking for stabs they could start the tracers at the hilt of the weapon. And when release starts the tracers move from the hilt to the tip in a tiny space of time meaning that the tracers will collide with the parry. Instead of the tracers starting behind the parrys.

I didn’t mention my specific opinion in detail in the OP on how parry tracers should be adjusted because I thought it was outside the scope of the suggestion and should be something TBS ultimately decides, but my opinion is similar to lemonater’s.

If tracers did start at the hilt then stabbing through parries wouldn’t happen. And if that was the reason for the bubble, it could be removed and we wouldn’t be left with a system that feels like such a quick fix solution.

One of the other issues an increased parry tracer would help is increase how intuitive parrying is. It kind of goes back to one of the reason I really enjoyed chivalry right from my first time playing compared to similar games like WotR and M&B, chivalry has a high skill ceiling but is very intuitive compared to those other games. The current parry tracers however, are not intuitive, because you can place your parry near the center of a weapon, but the weapon will physically pass through yours and it’s tip will hit the model. You can also parry looking straight up, and an overhead attack if done right, can go through your weapon/shield and hit the back of the head.

I understand their must be some people that wouldn’t like a change like this, that’s fine and I’m sure we’ll hear their end. But please don’t start by comparing this to the CFTP nerf. The CFTP nerf consisted of 2 parts that both added to another problem: first, nerfing CFTP reduces the skill ceiling and makes the game less intuitive; second, adding panic parry also reduces the skill ceiling and makes the game less intuitive.
    Re-balancing parry tracers is different though, it will ultimately reduce the skill ceiling(I think), but it will make the game more intuitive, especially for new players. This in contrast to the CFTP nerf which made the game more confusing for new players, while at the same time reducing the skill ceiling for experienced players.

• Developer

This is already the case. All of the tracers are “parryable tracers”. The ones on the end just extend the tracers for parrying purposes only (this prevents your attack from gliding through your opponents blocking sword, even if your attack wasn’t going to land on his body).

• MOAR TRACERS.

Actually would that work?

• Thanks for responding to the thread Tibberius. The extended tracers for parrying purposes is a good mechanic and works well imo. But, I think you responded to the wrong thread…