Swordsmen are out of balance

• With swords you guys are overdone. Great damage, too fast and long. Any child who understood what it takes chiternyh class and mowing down the right and left. Almost everyone who has a higher rank of 40, playing for them. Servers filled with swordsmen, that is, there is no diversity, loss of interest in the game.
    Balance, or rename the game - “Masters of the sword” …

• What?

• chiternyh class OP

• He is wrong in like everything. There are faster and longer weapons than swords that also do more dmg.

• Warriors Mortal Strike healing reduction from 50% to 20%.

That is probably why you are seeing so many swordsmen now.

• polearms are badass, the maul, maa broadsword, i also like waraxe… spear weapons are very good, the knights poleaxe… there are plenty of people that aren’t using swords. People just use claymore in pubs, that thing is uber fast… i think too fast but it’s w/e.

• @NoVaLombardia:

Warriors Mortal Strike healing reduction from 50% to 20%.

That is probably why you are seeing so many swordsmen now.

They’re still nerfing mortal strike, even after all these years? Christ.

• Swords are just multipurpose weapons. Mostly.

• Personally this issue i’m finding with swords is two fold:
    -swords (2h) drag-ability is a bit over the top for some swords especially the claymore. I understand swords are meant to be good at this but its a bit over the top when you can completely evade a swing only to have your opponent drag the weapon backwards against its initial path (all in the same release phase) into you.
    -Riposte is a bit of a problem with swords at the moment as its not balanced properly against stamina (more of a problem with swords then other weapons as swords are much faster than many other weapons and are more dragable)

This is limiting the number of viable loadouts to a very few. If you take more exotic loadouts and come up against a decent swordsman with a claymore or broadsword its like pushing diarrhoea up hill.

• I like swords for their stabs, especially on MAA and Knight. Alternatively, the messer has great slashes and overheads. It’s just a nice, well-rounded set of weapons, but it doesn’t mean they’re OP.

• Why doesn’t everyone just use fists? Weapons are OP, stop exploiting by using weapons.

• What kind of server are you on?
    I see players with a huge variety of weapon load-outs, every time I join, I and many many high ranked players will random our load-outs all the time too.

• @Sciffer:

He is wrong in like everything. There are faster and longer weapons than swords that also do more dmg.

Example please. As far as I can see swords are always either faster or longer than other weapons that deal similar amounts of damage.

Swords are a good combination of reach and speed. On the other side their damage is not great but mediocre at best. Stabs are okay but their base damage is not the greatest when compared to other stabbing weapons (that are also longer most of the time). Slashes and overheads simply lack the armor penetration of most other weapons (making them deal great damage against Archers but underwhelming against Vanguards and Knights).

Having good reach and speed swords are powerful and usual choices for dueling (because speed matters more than reach here the Norse Sword is very popular). So on a duel server with a lot of people using a win-optimized setup you will see a lot of Swordsmen (there are other powerful duel setups). But using a sword in duels is not too easy as you do need some more hits to kill most of the time. It also depends on playstyle and opponent. The relatively low damage is a big downside for sure.

But: Being a good duel choice does not mean swords are too strong.

I agree with backward swinging being stupid: You almost stop your blade mid air and it still deals full damage thereafter (hey - we are not using Lightsabers here!). Delayed swings by themselves are fine (just a longer swing before it connects). Fun fact: Accelerated swings are the go-to in real life Longsword fencing (which is about 2 to 4 times faster than Chivalrys Claymore). Still relative to the other weapons (Longsword, Broadsword, Poleaxe, …) the Claymore (a big twohanded sword) is too fast and not damaging enough (breaks immersion which leads to people calling it op).

The Broadsword might be to powerful in its balance (like the Longsword was before) - but I am not sure about this. The Messers slash (twohanded) was overbuffed - no need to use the overhead right now. Other than this swords are okay in my perception (I am fine with the Zweihänder being “awesome but impractical” because it still has its spot).

• I use a wide varity of weapons, my old favourite was the shortsword, but it’s to slow and to short now. I have to say that I might use the swords most, but that’s because I play archer quite a lot and the shortsword is still the best choice for me. But as MAA I play with morning star. As Vanguard I either use the spears or the swords. I don’t usually play knight, but when I do it’s usually with maul or grandmace, sometimes I might use SoW or messer as well. The swords are kinda good all around weapons, although they’re weaker against knights. the thing is that they got really quite nice damage on all 3 attack types, unlike most other weapons who specialize in 2 types of attacks. You can easily counter a sword with a spear for example, you just have to keep the distance, or go really aggressive.

• @NaTe:

Why doesn’t everyone just use fists? Weapons are OP, stop exploiting by using weapons.

Fist op.

Kick them to death. Quick F taps.

• @NaTe:

Why doesn’t everyone just use fists? Weapons are OP, stop exploiting by using weapons.

That’s funny, because last patch fists were actually nerfed inadvertently with the addition of the bubble.

• @Evil:

The Broadsword might be to powerful in its balance (like the Longsword was before) - but I am not sure about this.

Don’t you fucking dare.

• @omg87:

@Evil:

The Broadsword might be to powerful in its balance (like the Longsword was before) - but I am not sure about this.

Don’t you fucking dare.

Don’t lie. The broadsword stab has insane reach(literally), hits fast and 4 shots knights and 3 shots vanguards. Also it has a quick(.4) OH on top of all that reach. I think OH windup and combo nerf will be sufficient. Same with a greatsword.

@Xylvion:

I use a wide varity of weapons, my old favourite was the shortsword, but it’s to slow and to short now

They didn’t do anything to the shortsword.

• Technically, the stated reason for the longsword nerf was that it was too popular. So if we are going by that logic, then broadsword and shortsword both deserve nerfs as well.

But really, if they fixed the stab animation for 1h weapons, I think the broadsword would be more manageable. The only real problem is that the stab animation is incredibly deceiving and that sometimes it seems as though the riposte basically starts within your body. Same thing for the shortsword.

• Too popular usually indicates some imbalance as many players tend to choose weapons they have more success with. Sometimes that not the case and the weapon is just liked by many (similar to the Knight Templar outfit) or its only popular in a particular niche (like the Norse Sword in duel mode). However, if there is a general go-to choice and everything else is niche it might need a tiny nerf.

The Longsword felt balanced because it did not excel in anything. But it was too good overall overshadowing the other choices in most situations while having no significant drawbacks. Not the roflstabyouaredead weapon like the old Helberd but a little bit too strong. Now it still combines good reach and speed at the cost of some damage against heavy classes. I didn’t understand the reason behind the nerf until I played quite some time with the “new” Longsword/SoW.

The Shortsword got nerfed relatively to the other choices. Saber and Thrusting Dagger are now on its level and our beloved bubble makes it harder to use it effectively. The Hunting Knife is also quite nice because it is the fastest weapon ingame and got a surprisingly good reach. Cudgel and Broad Dagger are the losers lacking in speed and damage repectively.