Poll: Will you buy a deadliest warrior mashup?

• I would have gone in a different direction for an expansion but in any case if there is an expansion featuring a mix of warriors from different time periods and continents, lets say it costs $5-10 would you buy it?

jpynx151S_k

• I will buy it, but seriously: Not because I like the idea, I find the setting horrible.

But since Chivalry was, despite it’s flaws, a great game, I want to test this game myself too. I really don’t think though it’s going to be all that good…

• I can’t really tell yet if I’ll buy it. I never buy games for their setting so I don’t really care even though I prefer the original Chivalry (from what I can tell so far). But if the gameplay is good and there’s a stable (and hopefully competitive) community… why not.

• I’ll buy it because it’s something different.

The core of CMW is amazing but it’s becoming stale with playing on the same maps over and over. Of course the SDK patch and mods will liven it up, but I am always excited for more things released specifically by the devs.

Hell, if they’d release a patch that made all the current duel mode maps into FFA that’d liven things up for me, you can only play classic duels on Moor so much before your mind becomes numb.

• @NaTe:

I’ll buy it because it’s something different.

The core of CMW is amazing but it’s becoming stale with playing on the same maps over and over. Of course the SDK patch and mods will liven it up, but I am always excited for more things released specifically by the devs.

Hell, if they’d release a patch that made all the current duel mode maps into FFA that’d liven things up for me, you can only play classic duels on Moor so much before your mind becomes numb.

Pretty much this. As long as it plays the same as Chivalry: MW, and has a few TO maps, I’ll probably buy it just to be able to play new maps/weapons. The current ones on MW have become rather tiresome, I really do wish they’d add 2 or so new official TO maps just to at least keep interest.

I’ll probably wait for a sale too, depending on the price (going to guess £20).

• ABSOLUTELY not. I would never buy it. I find it a disgrace in every respect, I’d rather get a refund for Chivalry, since they’ve showed me they no longer deserve money at all. I have no desire whatsoever to encourage this kind of behavior.

• @SFJake:

ABSOLUTELY not. I would never buy it. I find it a disgrace in every respect, I’d rather get a refund for Chivalry, since they’ve showed me they no longer deserve money at all. I have no desire whatsoever to encourage this kind of behavior.

Out of curiosity what’s your reasoning behind this?

• I agree with SFJake. TBS doesn’t deserve our money anymore. We paid for a game they should have fix for a long time but they failed since MW is still full of bugs (more than ever) and instead of apologizing they make another game and ask us to pay again !

NOPE !!! >=/ But I may buy the game to try it if it’s more professional than Chivalry - MW (which should not be the case since they still use their crappy ten years old engine for Chivalry - DR instead of making a new one). They hold their future in their hands…

• crappy 10-yr old engine, lmao.

obviously you have never played unreal my friend, go look up how many servers are still around for unreal 99 dude, way more then this gamewill ever have at its peak and were talking sumthing from 1999 here.

unreal is one of the most moddable games there has ever been my friend, and one of the reasons its still alive and kicking today, mods!

• @gregcau:

I would have gone in a different direction for an expansion but in any case if there is an expansion featuring a mix of warriors from different time periods and continents, lets say it costs $5-10 would you buy it?

We’re talking about an expansion to an expansion here?

Eh, I’d have to see how I like DW to begin with. Though if they added falxmen, there’s no way I could resist immediately throwing money at my screen.

• i’ll probably wait until it comes out, check out the feedback from any of the chivalry players i respect and see what their thoughts on it are… maybe there will be a demo or “free weekends” so i can just test it out without buying it.

I’d make my decision after that, i’ll need more info than that announcement video and some screenshots, seeing some actual gameplay would help. I think judging it now is a bit premature.

• @clayton-bigsby:

i’ll probably wait until it comes out, check out the feedback from any of the chivalry players i respect and see what their thoughts on it are… maybe there will be a demo or “free weekends” so i can just test it out without buying it.

I’d make my decision after that, i’ll need more info than that announcement video and some screenshots, seeing some actual gameplay would help. I think judging it now is a bit premature.

Pretty much this. I’ll probably end up gettin it eventually.

• I don’t care about dropping money on this game, I bought the helmets and this game twice now one for me and a friend. 15 bucks for this doesn’t bother me at all to fork out that money, For the price of going to the cinema I can buy this game and get 100x the amount of hours of enjoyment out of it.

• @SFJake:

ABSOLUTELY not. I would never buy it. I find it a disgrace in every respect, I’d rather get a refund for Chivalry, since they’ve showed me they no longer deserve money at all. I have no desire whatsoever to encourage this kind of behavior.

Refund, are you serious? You probably played this game for months and after that you wnt a refund?
    And I thought I was hypercritical…

• @Junanagou:

I agree with SFJake. TBS doesn’t deserve our money anymore. We paid for a game they should have fix for a long time but they failed since MW is still full of bugs (more than ever) and instead of apologizing they make another game and ask us to pay again !

NOPE !!! >=/ But I may buy the game to try it if it’s more professional than Chivalry - MW (which should not be the case since they still use their crappy ten years old engine for Chivalry - DR instead of making a new one). They hold their future in their hands…

You realize that writing a new engine can take up to several years, right? For example, Valve worked on the Source Engine for almost 6 years and they already had something to base on and didn’t have to write it from scratch. Also, the UT3 engine is quite good and used by many games and the only downside it has, in my opinion, is the texture loading when quickly changing location (e.g. while spectacting someone switch to someone else who is not in the first one’s nearby area).

• @gregcau:

I would have gone in a different direction for an expansion but in any case if there is an expansion featuring a mix of warriors from different time periods and continents, lets say it costs $5-10 would you buy it?

Nope.

I bought Chivalry Medieval Warfare for Chivalry Medieval Warfare. None of this appeals to me at all. The base game still needs a boat load of TLC and they want to make an expansion? I’m sorry, Deadliest Warrior reeks of corporate agenda and dollar signs, and is certainly not the direction I wanted to see Torn Banner take in regards to their game.

• @HEXEN:

@gregcau:

Nope.

I bought Chivalry Medieval Warfare for Chivalry Medieval Warfare. None of this appeals to me at all. The base game still needs a boat load of TLC and they want to make an expansion? I’m sorry, Deadliest Warrior reeks of corporate agenda and dollar signs, and is certainly not the direction I wanted to see Torn Banner take in regards to their game.

So when a company comes up and says “hey we have an idea for a game and our own fan base and are happy to co-produce it”* TB should have said no? They’ve said they will continue to work on Chivalry so I don’t see what the problem is.

What kind of expansion would you have like to see? (a proper expansion not just maps and balance changes)

*Of course this is pure conjecture on my behalf, maybe TB approached them, who knows?

• @Dr:

So when a company comes up and says “hey we have an idea for a game and our own fan base and are happy to co-produce it”* TB should have said no? They’ve said they will continue to work on Chivalry so I don’t see what the problem is.

Ever heard of the phrase, “Bit off more than you can chew?”

And their latest “work” on Chivalry has been less than inspiring in my opinion. I can still crash the server browser in under 10 seconds by applying filters and hitting refresh a couple of times.

@Dr:

What kind of expansion would you have like to see? (a proper expansion not just maps and balance changes)

Chivalry Medieval Warfare doesn’t need an expansion, it needs help. Little to no competitive features, catering to a lower common denominator, ignoring bugs and problems, disregarding feedback by veteran players who were specifically asked to provide feedback by Torn Banner, no proper admin features, full mod integration remains elusive, terrain and clipping problems, map design flaws compounded by ludicrous mechanical changes (bubble), shield bash doesn’t work on hills, ghost strikes still happen, attack queue problems, static weapon problems… etc.

Have you ever read the loading screen regarding ducks? “A high risk high but high maneuver…” Excellent grammar there, never mind that ducks are pretty much pointless thanks to the previously mentioned mechanical changes. Certain values in the options still don’t work like the sensitivity slider bar, proper weapon balance remains elusive, sponsored tournaments are no where in sight, animation and telegraphed motion still need work, weapons being interrupted in release phase, shields still count for a players hitbox, stamina, shield bashes still drain stamina from the player being hit by them, perpetual javelin reload if hit while reloading, and on and on.

This game has been out for almost a year and there are still bugs that have been in the game since release. This doesn’t inspire confidence in any new expansion they develop, I’m sorry.

And just for shits and giggles, let’s do some math. On their own site they claim “More than 1.2 million copies sold!” I’ll be extremely generous and say each copy was sold for $3.00 (sales, discounts and the fee Unreal takes after $50,000 is reached in sales.)

1.2 million X $3.00 = $3,600,000.00

I don’t know about you, but I don’t consider that a small chunk of change. So, $3.5 million and a year into the games lifespan and we still have to put up with problems that were present at launch, not to mention the several new ones introduced through shoddy patch work?

I thought and wanted this game to be the next big e-sport. I thought with the right competitive features, solid determination and work from the developers and a dedicated competitive community (which we had), Chivalry Medieval Warfare would become a benchmark in how people interacted competitively online.

What we ended up with is a casual slasher with frivolous aesthetic features and expansions designed to sell copies through superficial content. If I’m being honest, it is so devastating to see something you cared so much about go in the complete opposite direction. I’d say about 80% of the people who are on my friends list who used to play Chivalry, no longer do. Our TeamSpeak is a ghost town, where before, you couldn’t find it empty if you tried. The competitive scene pretty much evaporated over night and the amount of consecutive players playing at any one time is near where it used to be before all these changes.

It’s so disappointing and so disheartening. It makes me sad, because I wanted this game to be more than what it currently is, to strive for something beyond mediocrity and a casual experience. In my opinion, this could have been just as big as Counter Strike, if not more so.

But alas, they went in a different direction. Oh well, enough of my bitching. Good luck to you, Torn Banner. May you get rich and fat, dining on suckling pigs over a roasted fire!

• Not buying it. Not buying hats either.
    It’s really, really sad that the best this game has ever been was the buggy mess that was 1.5.

• @HEXEN:
    All I can think of when people like you or Warsaw post… is why are you still here?

When I hate something with all of my heart like you guys do, I try to put distance from it.
    But you guys… you kind of bask in your own hatred.
    Do you even still play the game? I guess not. Every patch the game has gotten worse, according to you guys. So obviously it’s never going to get better for you. Why are you still here then?