Seriously, the bubble, or whatever you call it, needs to GO

• So, here’s a story. You see an enemy headed your way. He starts his swing way out of range. Confident, you don’t bother to parry, knowing there’s no way he can reach you. Ready to punish him with a swift counter attack, you watch his weapon swing through the air in front of you… and bam, suddenly your head is gone. What happened? The bubble happened.

So yeah, after one too many happenings like the one above, I’m finally at the “go to the forums and rage about it” stage. How did ANYONE on the dev team EVER think this was a good idea? Of the many issues plaguing this game and preventing players from fully enjoying it, this one truly bugs me the most. It was implemented why, to prevent facehugging? Yeah, facehugging’s fine now, but… come the hell on, Chivalry was a game that prided itself on near precise hitboxes. Before the bubble was implemented, I could confidently tell when I was going to get hit and when I was certainly not. Now I no longer can.

I see numerous cases while spectating as well. Especially evident with one handed swords- I’ve witnessed dozens of stabs ending CLEARLY before they touched the target, yet the target receives damage nonetheless, as if there’s several inches of invisible sword attached to it. This is a major issue. Is there no way to work it out? Hell, I never thought facehugging was that much of an issue, but if it is, can’t it somehow be made that the bubble only reacts to players themselves, preventing them from getting too close, but not to the weapon tracers? I don’t know anything about video game making and if my suggestion is even possible, but SOMETHING should be done about it to preserve the gameplay.

Recently, I find myself instinctively parrying swings that are clearly out of range (or WOULD be before the bubble patch anyway), just as a safety measure. It shouldn’t be like that. Tell me I’m not the only one who’s extremely pissed by this?

• This happened before the bubble too. It’s when the other player strikes your shield or arms, which aren’t represented the same in first person as they are in third person. I am pretty sure striking the inactive shield (whether it be on your arm or on your back) STILL does headshot damage, by the way. Poor Javelineers.

• AMAZING! After all my posts about the bubble being the most retarded attempt at a fix, people are starting to convert to my way of thinking.

The bubble was increased to prevent the up close face hugging that MMA and others were using to kill while the victims had no idea which direction the attacks were coming from because they were too close.

You are right in some of the negative effects of an enlarged collusion bubble. Allow me to add to the list.
    1. Fist attacks miss so much, what is the point? The bubble is so large that only a few hits will actually register.
    2. Clearly there are more swing through without hit detection than prior to the patch.
    3. More parrys are also failing than pre-patch unless you count the swing throughs doing no damage.
    4. Bubble getting you stuck on more places in the map than ever before like the roofs of small houses, rocks, stuck in the air, corners of pretty much anything.
    5. Freeze bubble. This is where you are pressed against some thing, an object, a wall, what ever by one or more opponents where you cannot move. Yet, visually there is enough room for your player model to escape but the bubble keeps you in place and you cannot move.
    6. Jump bubble, Now if you jump over someone from an elevated position like from the top of a hill on Moore, many times you will now get stuck in the air and they overhead you and kill you because you cannot move.

The bubble needs to go away, PERIOD. It by no means has helped the game in anyway. Face Hugging was never a problem once you learned to keep your distance. Look down overheads are not really all that big of a problem either once you gain the experience to know how to deal with them. This is where skills in a supposedly skill based game comes from. While I will admit that some weapons look down overhead is too fast, the simple fix is to slow down the animations to the appropriate speeds and not some stupid collusion bubble increase.

Skills, tactics and experience will over come most of these issues, not radical game mechanic changes that do more to lower the skill level and dumb down the game. Please stop doing this.

• @Velociraptor:

So, here’s a story. You see an enemy headed your way. He starts his swing way out of range. Confident, you don’t bother to parry, knowing there’s no way he can reach you. Ready to punish him with a swift counter attack, you watch his weapon swing through the air in front of you… and bam, suddenly your head is gone. What happened? The bubble happened.

Recently, I find myself instinctively parrying swings that are clearly out of range (or WOULD be before the bubble patch anyway), just as a safety measure. It shouldn’t be like that. Tell me I’m not the only one who’s extremely pissed by this?

i made a post about this already….somewhere…But i don’t believe its related to the bubble because the bubble isnt tied into weapon collisions, to my knowledge, only player collisions.

I have noticed the frequency of this problem has increased greatly since the last patch.

• What the last dude said. It got nothing to do with bubble from what I know. It started to happen more after last patch. I do hate it too thought when you get hit out of reach, it happens all the time but don’t think bubble has anything to do with it.

• The “bubble” has nothing to do with your hitbox.

@Daiyuki:

This happened before the bubble too. It’s when the other player strikes your shield or arms, which aren’t represented the same in first person as they are in third person. I am pretty sure striking the inactive shield (whether it be on your arm or on your back) STILL does headshot damage, by the way. Poor Javelineers.

That was fixed some time ago.

• @SlyGoat:

The “bubble” has nothing to do with your hitbox.

@Daiyuki:

This happened before the bubble too. It’s when the other player strikes your shield or arms, which aren’t represented the same in first person as they are in third person. I am pretty sure striking the inactive shield (whether it be on your arm or on your back) STILL does headshot damage, by the way. Poor Javelineers.

But it has to do with everything else I mentioned. I saw in another post about priority fixes, one being getting stuck in the air while jumping. Hello… bubble. Getting stuck in more places in the maps, being pressing into an object and cannot move… the whole list in my above post…

• So your way of thinking is.

Swings going through parries happened same time as the bubble came in. Must be the bubble.

Even though swings went through parries before the bubble anyway.

Or is your way of thinking “I hate the bubble so I will blame it for everything”.

Even if hey remove the bubble swings are gonna still go through parries.

• @SlyGoat:

@Daiyuki:

Are… are you sure? That was one of the first things I tested with the update, but you’ll have to pardon me for not being up-to-the-minute…

• The bubble wasn’t the best way of solving the problem. It came with its own drawbacks which make the game worse.

Fiddling with tracers is harder and more time consiming yes. But it gives better results.

• Agreed THIS BUBBLE BULLSHIT…… Makes ridiculous fighting…

Its gone from a hard game to a noobs game where accuracy and precision is no longer necessary.

Countless times where attacks would of never hit me neck minnute… HIT. Plz fix this Torn Banner

• Hmmmm, compelling argument there….

• I really don’t get the problem people have with the bubble. Hit detection is cause by latency, lag ect, not by the bubble. The bubble simply stop people getting too close and facehugging, something that’s not realistic. You can’t swing a weapon properly when your body is touching them. IMO the bubble has given combat better flow and made people rely on tactics other than face hugging to succeed. It has also given noobs a better chance, prepatch noobs didn’t have chance of blocking against someone who was facehugging.

• @wyrda78:

I really don’t get the problem people have with the bubble. Hit detection is cause by latency, lag ect, not by the bubble. The bubble simply stop people getting too close and facehugging, something that’s not realistic. You can’t swing a weapon properly when your body is touching them. IMO the bubble has given combat better flow and made people rely on tactics other than face hugging to succeed. It has also given noobs a better chance, prepatch noobs didn’t have chance of blocking against someone who was facehugging.

You see the mouse in your hand. You move it. You block everything.

• Well, to be honest, I’m not that well versed in this game’s mechanics to say for sure whether it’s the bubble or not, but what I do know for sure is that pre-bubble patch I would never EVER (perhaps extremely rarely, when facing laggy players) get hit by a swing that clearly did NOT touch me. Now I am, constantly, and while I can’t tell for sure what that is, I want it fixed. That may sound pretentious, but is it too much to ask of a company to not make a game worse over time? Because that seems to be the particular case here…

• There’s definitely an issue with missed swings/stabs connecting, particularly with the broadsword. Anyway, I think lemon has the right of it, putting the effort into more accurate tracers etc rather than problematic quick fixes like the bubble will always be preffered by the players, even if we have to wait longer.

• In the very first place, applying a fix to facehugging is stupid.

First of all, face hugging is not an exploit or a bug. There is NOTHING WRONG with a facehug. A facehug is merely a symptom of aggressive play. That’s why the guy is in your face. Because he’s being aggressive. You just gotta learn to deal with it. Those people complaining about it… just learn to play the game, aight?

• @SlyGoat:

It does prevent you from reaching it.

Backstabbing someone who is running away with a shorter weapon? Bubble doesn’t let you get close enough.
    Using footwork to get a dagger hit in? Bubble doesn’t let you get close enough.
    Using the gap between two enemies to get behind enemy lines? Bubble gets you stuck between them.

In contrast:
    Bardiche hilt hits instantly after windup? Bubble does nothing.
    Knight holds his Towershield into your face spamming feints with the Norse Sword? Bibble does nothing.
    Man at Arms spams side dodge to get out of your strikes and land a hit. Bubble does nothing.

The bubble failed. Badly. It did not fix anything and created some additional issues. It should not have gone live.
    @gregcau:

So the collision radius was not just reduced, but completely removed?

The very first comment on CU1 Patch 2 - it makes clear that the bubble did not pass the beta tests in this form. Let alone that there are myriads of (probably) better suggestions how to deal with excessive facehugging (designwise).

• @wyrda78:

I really don’t get the problem people have with the bubble. Hit detection is cause by latency, lag ect, not by the bubble. The bubble simply stop people getting too close and facehugging, something that’s not realistic. You can’t swing a weapon properly when your body is touching them. IMO the bubble has given combat better flow and made people rely on tactics other than face hugging to succeed. It has also given noobs a better chance, prepatch noobs didn’t have chance of blocking against someone who was facehugging.

Please re read my post above… because your ignorance is beyond acceptable. The bubble prevents you from hitting an opponets hitbox. But the worst problem with it is the effects it has from the map and other player’s bubbles.

To test this just have a few friends press up against you into a wall, you will clearly not even be able to move, yet prior to this you could duck and squeeze out. Now you get stuck.

Further test - Jump kick someone from a slightly higher elevation or jump down on someone and see how many time you get stuck in mid air not able to move…

You are completely and totally wrong about facehugging not being realist. In fact it is probably one of the most realistic things in the game. Trust me, I could get in your face and if you are not 300 lbs and shaped like a ball, my 6’,3" frame with long monkey arms can easily stab you in the back. I could take a dagger and spam slash your stomach wide open. Hell, go hug your mom with a kitchen knife in your hand and tell me how realistic face hugging is.

The problem is that noobs didn’t learn the skills and experience on how to deal with and defeat facehuggers. Skilled players had no problem with facehuggers. But enough noobs whined and bitched that the end result is a dramatic change in game mechanics in an attempt to nerf a valid tactic.

• i don’t know if it’s bubble or not, but i’ve had countless times where a swing should not hit or be in range or even leaning or ducking them and they hit. Bubble or not, something is causing that. If you’re like 3 in game feet out of range of a daggar, crouch lean backwards as they slash and everything connects… something is weird.

If you see an attack swing it’s entirety in front of you like a long sword and you’re clearly out of range but it hits you… something is weird.

It can’t always be latency… a lot of people this happen to and myself after checking (i usually always check) have excellent ping in the server… should be flawless.