Want combo for javelin player

• I’ll take the bait, because I love an argument, especially when people do this. If he had something real to say, he wouldn’t have resorted to such base techniques.

Talking guitars – look up Peter Frampton man! :)

• :D
    I’ve got lots to say - but I don’t really need to say more than this:

Your suggestions to improve the javelin man were so ridiculous that I wasn’t sure if you were trolling or not - and I can see that I’m not the only one that thought that.

• That would be a bad idea.
    As someone said above, if vanguard spear can’t combo why should archer.
    I do kinda agree with archers being too good in melee but it depends on the archer. The noob ones that just run around spamming are usually very easy to beat unless you are in tight space and then you might lose. Good archer though is way harder. They will wait for you to attack and counter you in right time, I have to switch to fast secondary to beat those since I can’t land a hit on them with my two handed. I tried it myself by picking an archer with saber, it’s pretty easy to win even if you are outnumbered.
    The more hp would not work cause archers can one hit ko you from far, and you can’t even one hit ko them with more than half weapons in the game.

• i would like this too, would make them pretty powerful, but I already feel that they’re pretty damn powerful already.

Short spear users should definitely throw the damn things.

I really thought that when i first got the game that you were able to shield poke and then jav poke in a combo, but i was wrong… i would liek to try it though… it’d be a nice combo. The jav stabs are pretty hard to block, you have to turn really far to the left as is, probaby the same with the shield bash if it actually hit properly half the time.

• Sorry reading this makes puppies have abortions. Archers/Jav are way OP if you combine 1 hit range kills with spammy melee. Skilled archers can readily take on 3 v 1 and emerge victorious more often than not. This whole idea of making archers more powerful, if continued will slit the throats of the last few unicorns and make rainbows rain acid. Please stop now….

• in case you didn’t realise, the Javelin (any) throw has been massively nerfed by the last patch. it’s range is a third of what it was. virtually useless.

• @Deadpan:

in case you didn’t realise, the Javelin (any) throw has been massively nerfed by the last patch. it’s range is a third of what it was. virtually useless.

Hmm weird, I have been seeing more and more Jav players……
    They can still 1 hit at range and even 1 hit melee for heavy javs. So with the shield very hard to get around what am I missing? Ah maybe your lack of skills with it because there are plenty with skill that play it.

• I don’t understand what is so hard about killing archers. Keep moving, watch the battlefield, using obstacles to block their line of vision, and if they are shield users, use the alternate swings, combos, feints, and counter strikes. If an archer decides he is going to play sniper, I like to make sure to throw an axe through his face to send the message home. But they are not OP and do not need nerfs. The game needs buffs now to balance it.

But more than that, why CAN’T we have van spear combos too? And yeah, they should be able to fling a short spear and resort to their secondaries. All cool things to balance a jav combo. Also, the characters in general (with the exception of the knight) need an HP buff. Everything feels a little OP because you get cut down so quickly! A big problem with this game is good ideas are shot down in favor of nerfs for balance instead of thinking of groupings of buffs like this to make it more fun.

In other words, instead of arguing what is OP, what can we all come up with that adds to the game, expands on the classes, and keeps it balanced? One hit fodder is not fun, for example. Throw, stab, throw gets a little stale.

How about jav gets a combo, but a reduction in damage per throw and single stab (since we get a combo bonus now) and a couple of more javs to make it interesting?

• @the_brown_cloud:

the characters in general (with the exception of the knight) need an HP buff. Everything feels a little OP because you get cut down so quickly!

That’s one of the best things about this game!!!

The power and brutality of the weapons make it the game it is.
    Fast kills, quick respawn time - great stuff.
    Sick of playing games with weapons that feel like pea shooters.

• I personally don’t know of any good javelineers, but I do know a combo would be a nice start to the many problems javelins have.

• you mean the combo of throw close range javelin, miss, get decapitated isn’t enough for you? :P

• @the_brown_cloud:

I don’t understand what is so hard about killing archers. Keep moving, watch the battlefield, using obstacles to block their line of vision, and if they are shield users, use the alternate swings, combos, feints, and counter strikes. If an archer decides he is going to play sniper, I like to make sure to throw an axe through his face to send the message home. But they are not OP and do not need nerfs. The game needs buffs now to balance it.

But more than that, why CAN’T we have van spear combos too? And yeah, they should be able to fling a short spear and resort to their secondaries. All cool things to balance a jav combo. Also, the characters in general (with the exception of the knight) need an HP buff. Everything feels a little OP because you get cut down so quickly! A big problem with this game is good ideas are shot down in favor of nerfs for balance instead of thinking of groupings of buffs like this to make it more fun.

In other words, instead of arguing what is OP, what can we all come up with that adds to the game, expands on the classes, and keeps it balanced? One hit fodder is not fun, for example. Throw, stab, throw gets a little stale.

How about jav gets a combo, but a reduction in damage per throw and single stab (since we get a combo bonus now) and a couple of more javs to make it interesting?

Allow me to splain it to you Lucy….
    For starters archers have the greatest range… duah but they can 1 hit every class, depending on weapon choice at RANGE! The can 2 shot everyone at RANGE! Absolutely 3 shot every class at range. That in itself is a huge advantage over all other classes.

But you say that is hard to do… Bullshit, it is easy to do if you are skilled. I have several very skilled archers in Kila and know of many more that don’t even need to melee because they have mastered range kills. This is what archers were designed to do in game and in real life. BUT it takes skill, practice, and experience.

But here is what makes them OP, if skilled range isn’t enough, their melee. They have some of the fastest attacks and parrys. They can parry almost infinitely any and all heavy weapons taking no damage. They simply can spam a few, back away then spam more till you are dead. Many skilled archers have no problem melee 3v1 and end up victorious more often than any other class.

But Ret, they have the lowest armor… Yes but being able to parry forever and stab faster than any class, you are still pretty much dead, specially if they got an arrow in ya.

The sad reality is that archers are a powerhouse is melee. Most archers get 60% + of their kills from melee. This is unacceptable for a ranged class. They should be getting the majority of their kills from arching and skilled archers do this but in combination with their melee, end up in the top 3 or 5 in most servers.

The powerful archer melee actually dumbs down the actual arching skills because archers know that they have no fear of any class in melee.

That aside, going back to the original idea of combos for Javs and even spears is just silly once you get skills that kill. There are plenty of very good javs out there and they shield makes them very tough to battle. Now add in the instant throw to stab, both of which can be 1 hits, what more do you really need?

• I main heavy javelin. Before “the patch” fighting two-handers was something like this:

Stab > Hit > Block

Due to the slow nature of my weapon, I wouldn’t be able to stab twice in a row without risking getting my face mauled by an eager opponent. “The patch” made melee faster, now I can do this:

Stab > Hit > Stab > Hit

If I land one stab, I can almost assuredly attack again without fear of dying since I will be able to flinch my opponent in time. That counts as a combo in my book. This isn’t worth anything against one-handed weapons, though, you’ve got to come up with something else to fight them.

Javelins are stronger and more popular than they’ve ever been. I don’t know what the future of this game holds, but if we assume that it keeps on chugging then we’ll see increasingly more proficient javelineers. Remember that many of this game’s best players have had more time to acquaint themselves with their weapons that javelineers with their tweaked weapons. No disrespect intended, but javelins are drastically different from any other weapon in the game and require a bit of practice to do become proficient with them.

• @Retsnom:

@Deadpan:

in case you didn’t realise, the Javelin (any) throw has been massively nerfed by the last patch. it’s range is a third of what it was. virtually useless.

Hmm weird, I have been seeing more and more Jav players……
    They can still 1 hit at range and even 1 hit melee for heavy javs. So with the shield very hard to get around what am I missing? Ah maybe your lack of skills with it because there are plenty with skill that play it.

what does that have to do with anything?

i have noticed an increase in Jav use too. but the range of the throw has been drastically reduced. it is virtually useless now. that has nothing to do with skill. there isn’t any skill you can use to increase range.

try it out yourself. pick javelins, the regular kind is what i use. face up, throw, see how far it lands. it used to land about 3 times as far. also it nose-dives now in a completely impossible manner, almost vertically down, even though you threw it up diagonally.

this means it can no longer be used to throw at people at any range. this makes them useless at any range but what is almost melee. the only use it has now is as an alternate form of attack during a fight, or when people are close to you, but you can’t get up where they are, like at a spawn point. and the only reason it’s useful really is because you can charge it up and hold it between wind-up and release, so you can immediately release when you want.
    essentially now it’s just a faster version of run forward stab, with a longer Recovery in which you can’t Parry.

i always said they were a melee class with a ranged option. now it’s just a melee class.

edit: i did find a new use for the jav throw, though. since it arcs down more, it’s more useful now to throw over the back of your allies. usefull in corridor scrambles.
    it just feels weird now. like it’s attached to me by a string.

• what patch? must have been a long time ago, cause i can’t remember any patch that changed anything about jav melee.

• Deadpan Serious wrote:

What?

Javs would be perfectly balanced if regular archers weren’t so goddamn powerful.

That’s my two cents.

• Ugh, just because you cannot make Jav kills from 3x more distance, aka half way across the map, doesn’t mean that it is still not a ranged class. You can make kills well out of the range of any pure melee class thus making it a ranged class. You can also do this repeatedly till you run out of ammo and you still have fast 1 hit potential melee. So what if it doesn’t have the range of a bow, it shouldn’t. The speed of this class to go from throw to stab is virtually instantaneous. Thus again combo is unnecessary. Javs are probably one of the best balanced classes.

• The problems I have with javs:

I’ve been using heavy javs when I mess around, recently, and I’ve noticed some things that are problematic.

A. Why is there recovery parry/block in melee but no recovery block in a jav throw recovery?

B. When you do get hit in throw recovery you get locked up and stand there like a retard, inevitably dying.

• @Retsnom:

Ugh, just because you cannot make Jav kills from 3x more distance, aka half way across the map, doesn’t mean that it is still not a ranged class. You can make kills well out of the range of any pure melee class thus making it a ranged class. You can also do this repeatedly till you run out of ammo and you still have fast 1 hit potential melee. So what if it doesn’t have the range of a bow, it shouldn’t. The speed of this class to go from throw to stab is virtually instantaneous. Thus again combo is unnecessary. Javs are probably one of the best balanced classes.

so a spear-armed Vanguard is also a ranged class?

the range of the Javelin before the nerf was a whole lot shorter than that of bowmen or crossbowmen. not just some, but nowhere in their league, not even half the range. but at least you could use it at something of a range, to throw them off the walls at some maps. especially after you killed the peasants, and are messing around with the battering ram, the Javs purpose there is to shoot the archers off the walls.

right now, shooting at archers is basically pointless. it used to be a challenge, now it’s just suicide. everyone is complaining about bowmen and crossbowmen, they announce a nerf, but the hardest nerf is done to javelins, which only helps the archers btw.

and Javelins certainly aren’t “the most balanced”. the whole expression is dodgy anyway, but Javelins are by far the most bugged class of all. if all the bugs in the game were fixed, the Javeliner would be a lot more powerful than it is now. so how can you say it’s the “most balanced”? i mean, it is forced to use the freakin’ buckler!

now, i’m not saying it’s a totally rubbish class. but such an extreme change to it’s main feat, and it isn’t even in the patch-notes, i mean come on!

the whole use and role of the Javeliner has totally changed now – with regular Javs, aar – in that it’s no longer a hybrid class. the range it used to have gave it something unique; now it’s just an up close attack, just like melee, but with a different mechanic.

sneaking stabs in is still the same, but otherwise i need to relearn the entire class now.

• everyone is complaining about bowmen and crossbowmen, they announce a nerf, but the hardest nerf is done to javelins, which only helps the archers btw.

When the hell were bows and xbows ever nerfed? They’ve only ever been buffed.

Also, I’d say javs are very balanced(-bugs). People know I don’t like including bugs when determining balance ;)