Hit detection problems

• I believe fast weapons can go through blocks more easily. I’ve recently noticed that MaA and Archers (melee) often attack through my block.
    That’s all, but DON’T say “If I got a dollar for every thread about this, I’d be able to make an exact copy of the game but with the fixed bugs.”, that’s unoriginal. ._.

And also, when will they ever fix the bug where it crashes when you exit a server?

• You have to turn hard into their weapon to block. Even I forget this sometimes.

e.g. if he does a slash, turn about 60-70 degrees to your left and block. If he does an alt swing, turn 60-70 degrees to the right, WAIT (because alt swings are a tad slower and god damn I ALWAYS block them too early), then block.

Overheads and stabs are a bit more confusing since skilled players can jump to get them ‘over’ your block and you gotta be very fast to notice it, as well as poking you on your side, which can be hard to tell with the stab animations. Overheads are a bit diagonal (they, from your perspective, come from the top right and go towards the bottom left) and you have to block depending on where it is in the swing.

• Yeah I know, that works when the game itself works. But sometimes, the stabs literally go through my block, for example my shield. I saw the texture go through, and then it hit me.

• I confirm. Stabs do go through parries and shields.

• Stabs going through parry is due to either :

• Lag
    • Being too confident with shield
    • when the attack is started really close as the weapon is already inside your body and can’t be parried

And also a case that doesn’t happen very often but when 2 ennemies hit you almost exactly at the same time. Sometimes you don’t see a second ennemy coming from behind and when they both attack at the same time, the one from behind will flinch you making your parry down… and at the same time, the one in front will also hit you making you think he went trhough your parry.

• I will admit to seeing some crazy hit detections at greater distances than they should be. It looks like they are far enough away so I will not waste stam with a parry, only to be hit by suprise. My guess is that it is ping related since it is not all that common or happening at an alarming rate.

• i wish they would just give us the modding files back already lol, all the inconsitencies they claimed that editing them wrong can cause are all still there and just as rampant even without those files!

and some of the hits we get hit with are so far away its not even funny, they def do not have weapon force set up right, cause increase force also increases weapon range, which from my 8 months of modding and testing everyday i have figured out, not aware if any one else knows or has figured that out yet, but totaly makes sense.

editing the base damage in the force file will make weapons swing right through you though also, which is what we are seeing still torn banner even though you claim it was being caused by those files.

• @WARSAW:

i wish they would just give us the modding files back already lol, all the inconsitencies they claimed that editing them wrong can cause are all still there and just as rampant even without those files!

and some of the hits we get hit with are so far away its not even funny, they def do not have weapon force set up right, cause increase force also increases weapon range, which from my 8 months of modding and testing everyday i have figured out, not aware if any one else knows or has figured that out yet, but totaly makes sense.

editing the base damage in the force file will make weapons swing right through you though also, which is what we are seeing still torn banner even though you claim it was being caused by those files.

how did they remove them? Are they still not on the server? I know some of the patch files were changed but can you not go in and tweak them again. I know it is a pain in the ass because every patch I have to reconfig my client.

• @WARSAW:

i wish they would just give us the modding files back already lol, all the inconsitencies they claimed that editing them wrong can cause are all still there and just as rampant even without those files!

I have noticed this as well.

• It’s not only one handed. It’s more apparent when two handed goes through your block. Thats when you know that detection fails.

• no they are gone brotha!

the only reason i still have low grav and no team damage is because they are in the file where you change the server name and player count etc.

they said because they caused inconsitencies and did more harm then good for modding and that most of the stuff in them didnt work.

in any game if you edit any file wrong as an admin it doesnt work, thats the chance you take when modding as an admin.
    some people obviously tried to do what i did and messed their stuff up and people came on here and complained and they removed them, is what it sounds like, i dont know.

as for the other part i sure did a gnarly job making the most intense action you could find in this game
    “for those files doing more harm then good for modding and that most of the stuff in them not working”.

• WARSAW:

Those files couldn’t be altered in SDK mods. That’s why weapon values were moved to scripts. You edit them in essentially the same way, you just have to generate scripts afterwards - once the SDK goes live you’ll be able to have a modded server exactly as you did before with very little extra effort. If we didn’t do this you couldn’t have full scale mods that modified weapons.

And yes, servers not updating their WeaponAttachment configs when a patch rolls out and changes weapon damage values was also a problem because it caused weapons to swing through. So that was another reason it was removed, to simplify the process of updating servers; considering the vast majority of servers and players do not modify those files.

• I can already see an x10 mod where weapons have their best attribute multiplied by 10

• Not only what I already said, but when I stab, I sometimes hurt people BEHIND me. I don’t even see how?

• Never seen attacks going through parries. As for shields: They use the same hitbox for deflecting melee attacks as parries (at least if there is no bug altering this). This is smaller than their visual size. So if you missaim your block a tiny bit (can happen quite often because shields also block your vision) the attack will go right through your visual model and hit as it did not hit the actual parry hitbox. The other extreme can be seen with the Buckler when blocking low strikes: They clearly hit below the shield but the parry hitbox extends further down and thus they are deflected.

Similar things happen to stab attacks. There is no handle tracer and some weapons (like Javelins) have their damage tracer extending behind your model. So if you start a stab the weapon will be moved back. When the release begins and somebody is standing right behind you he will get the full damage from the wrong end of your weapon (which is also moving in the other direction at this moment). Its not unlike a turnaround lookup overhead attack.

• @SlyGoat:

And yes, servers not updating their WeaponAttachment configs when a patch rolls out and changes weapon damage values was also a problem because it caused weapons to swing through.

That’s interesting, I’ve been looking for why this is happening. I’d assume all of the servers are good and updated now (right?), and I even see swing-throughs on official servers. Is there another problem in there somewhere as well, because it’s still happneing.

• @SlyGoat:

And yes, servers not updating their WeaponAttachment configs when a patch rolls out and changes weapon damage values was also a problem because it caused weapons to swing through. So that was another reason it was removed, to simplify the process of updating servers; considering the vast majority of servers and players do not modify those files.

Wait, so now it was a config file that was removed that was causing weapon swing through? Hmmm so what is the excuse for all the current swing throughs? It’s ok, I’ll wait…… (hint hint: bubble)

• Those files couldn’t be altered in SDK mods. That’s why weapon values were moved to scripts. You edit them in essentially the same way, you just have to generate scripts afterwards - once the SDK goes live you’ll be able to have a modded server exactly as you did before with very little extra effort. If we didn’t do this you couldn’t have full scale mods that modified weapons.

Thanks Sly and Torn Banner that is sum very good news, but

what do you mean by generate?
    do we have to learn udk to do this?
    would people have to download this from the server, how would that work?

• My god, my blocks just keep failing and failing all the time. And I AM looking at their blade, I am looking up and to the right and so on. Do you know how irritating it is to be forced to not enjoy a game just because it doesn’t work? I’m sure most do, and it is not pleasant. Breaking the immersion too.
    Are TBS working on this? I wish they’d at least tell us SOMETHING so we don’t have to hope to god that it will one day happen. “And if they do”, I guess they are not doing anything about it since all they talk about is new content.

• Honestly I think 99% of the time my blocks work if I’m aiming them correctly. Aiming them correctly is another thing…

What time zone do you play in? I wouldn’t mind taking a crack at it and seeing if it’s not user-error. I understand that you’re trying to look at the tip of their weapon, but some of the weapon tips go much much further on swings than you would normally imagine.

If you’re ever interesting my steam name is Quigleyer (displays as ia. | Quigleyer)