Katana vs Greatsword

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVCaJdYZmCU

Don’t mind the different language in the video but honestly how are the Samurai’s swords supposed to parry, when they clearly can’t and were not designed to parry.

http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/9008 … angyp1.jpg

And this is by and large what 99% of Spartans looked like going to war come on now at least try and be historically authentic and or relevant and accurate!

• Because it’s a videogame….

• You may not have noticed it, but Chivalry is not a realistic game. This has already been covered on numerous topics. If it were realistic, you wouldn’t be able to parry mauls with daggers, knights would be nigh invulnerable to bowmen, neither knights, nor vanguards would ever be able to catch a man at arms or an archer on foot, you wouldn’t be able to use a spear or a halberd when the opponent is up close, I could go on and on.

As for the Spartans- they have noted 300 movie as one of the inspirations for this game, which was ridiculed over its historical inaccuracies. But give them credit- at least they gave the Spartans actual armor, instead of marching them to battle in underwear, like the movie did. Not that their bronze armor and weapons would do any good against steel or even iron. Again, this isn’t a game about realism.

• Clearly japanese samurai are far cooler than norseman with big swords so the katana should be blinding fast and do equal damage.

• Maybe it’s because you don’t parry with the cutting edge of the katana. Parrying is used to deflect blows so they miss you, not stop them dead in their tracks; that would be a waste of energy and bad for your sword.

And at any rate, it’s just a game… I think it would be pretty hard to block a greatsword with a hunting knife, but you sure can in chivalry =P. Not to mention, you can make heads explode with your fists! I don’t think this game will ever turn into a ‘melee simulator.’ It sure is fun though!

• @gregcau:

Clearly japanese samurai are far cooler than norseman with big swords so the katana should be blinding fast and do equal damage.

No one’s talking about norseman, they were dicussing Spartans. As for honorless Japanese private militants (what samurai really were) being cooler than Vikings, umm no. Go home.

• I love that video, only because I’m sick of anime and Samurai fanboyz thinking that the katana was the greatest weapon ever. The truth is as NakedSquirrel says you don’t parry with the edge.

In fact Spartan armour was bronze and wouldn’t hold up well against steel weapons. Even the spear and short sword could have been bronze depending on the period. However it’s a game so I presume they are ignoring such things and focussing on the training and skill of the warriors.

• @Dr:

In fact Spartan armour was bronze and wouldn’t hold up well against steel weapons. Even the spear and short sword could have been bronze depending on the period. However it’s a game so I presume they are ignoring such things and focussing on the training and skill of the warriors.

All of that would matter if one thing weren’t indisputable fact:

Spartans only wore their armor for show. Everyone knows Spartans skin would stop blades, and probably even gunfire. They can also catch an arrow mid flight, bite off the arrow head, and then spit it back out at their opponent at a speed X4 greater than any bow could shoot.

Honestly I’m a little worried about how they’re going to balance this game. I mean, everyone knows all asian warriors can jump into the air as if they had a wire on their back lifting them and shoot fireballs from their hands as well.

Gonna be tough!

• @quigleyer:

@Dr:

Spartans only wore their armor for show. Everyone knows Spartans skin would stop blades, and probably even gunfire. They can also catch an arrow mid flight, bite off the arrow head, and then spit it back out at their opponent at a speed X4 greater than any bow could shoot.

Honestly I’m a little worried about how they’re going to balance this game. I mean, everyone knows all asian warriors can jump into the air as if they had a wire on their back lifting them and shoot fireballs from their hands as well.

Gonna be tough!

My drink just went up my nose.

• @quigleyer:

@Dr:

Gonna be tough!

It’s a problem when one of the factions in question is overpowered, sure, but this is Deadliest Warrior - they’re all overpowered. Shouldn’t be too hard to balance. :P

• @Oy:

@gregcau:

Clearly japanese samurai are far cooler than norseman with big swords so the katana should be blinding fast and do equal damage.

No one’s talking about norseman, they were dicussing Spartans. As for honorless Japanese private militants (what samurai really were) being cooler than Vikings, umm no. Go home.

I disagree, you go home lol. It’s all opinion…

• @Dr:

Watch the deadliest warrior episode. The Spartan chest plate proved capable of withstanding full on blows from a Naginata (A blade on a big ass stick), dented but did nothing. And the Spartan shield, also made of bronze (and wood, and leather) took on an onslaught of Kanab? strikes (A big ass club studded with iron/steel studs) and again, didn’t break. It dented, but withheld the force to an extent of it being little more than a bit uncomfortable for the Spartan’s arm.

They pretty much proved that where armour is concerned, the bronze aspect didn’t prove a huge hinderance. Admittedly, the Samurai’s armour resisted a strike from a Spartan spear, and even bent the spear tip.

• @quigleyer:

Sooooooo… basically like the current Man at Arms?

• @dudeface:

@quigleyer:

HAH! Well played.

• @dudeface:

@quigleyer:

Dammit. I shoulda thought of that.

• @NakedSquirrel:

Maybe it’s because you don’t parry with the cutting edge of the katana. Parrying is used to deflect blows so they miss you, not stop them dead in their tracks; that would be a waste of energy and bad for your sword.

Agreed. You should think of a katana block as adjusting the trajectory of the attack to minimise harm to the defender (and their blade). The impact is not absorbed. It is redirected with minimal use of the defender’s energy. With that in mind, it does not matter whether the attacker is wielding another katana, a greatsword or a grand piano – the katana block technique would remain the same and is sound.

@Ma:

@Dr z0b:

Watch the deadliest warrior episode. The Spartan chest plate proved capable of withstanding full on blows from a Naginata (A blade on a big ass stick), dented but did nothing. And the Spartan shield, also made of bronze (and wood, and leather) took on an onslaught of Kanab? strikes (A big ass club studded with iron/steel studs) and again, didn’t break. It dented, but withheld the force to an extent of it being little more than a bit uncomfortable for the Spartan’s arm.

They pretty much proved that where armour is concerned, the bronze aspect didn’t prove a huge hinderance. Admittedly, the Samurai’s armour resisted a strike from a Spartan spear, and even bent the spear tip.

Neither the show nor the game are trying to be historically accurate. The focus is on entertainment. And it works.

Samurai armour was made to offer some resistance to katana blows as well. The point is not how well the armour withstands the blows, but how skilled the attacker is at bypassing the armour and going for the weak points (for example, the armpit is exposed).

At the end of the day, it is not only about whether or not the armour can take the hit. It is also about how easy it is to bypass the armour altogether. But let’s not overcomplicate things. Obviously the game’s hit detection in its current form is not complex enough to address this issue. Or, to put it differently, it is not an issue as far as the game is concerned. And that’s fine with me. :)

• @Sir:

@Ma Chao the Splendid:

@Dr z0b:

Neither the show nor the game are trying to be historically accurate. The focus is on entertainment. And it works.

Samurai armour was made to offer some resistance to katana blows as well. The point is not how well the armour withstands the blows, but how skilled the attacker is at bypassing the armour and going for the weak points (for example, the armpit is exposed).

At the end of the day, it is not only about whether or not the armour can take the hit. It is also about how easy it is to bypass the armour altogether. But let’s not overcomplicate things. Obviously the game’s hit detection in its current form is not complex enough to address this issue. Or, to put it differently, it is not an issue as far as the game is concerned. And that’s fine with me. :)

Yeah I agree, was more spouting stuff for general thoughts on the armour and how it would play it, at least according to the show. A failed block will mean a hit and that’s the way it should be.

And yes, some parts of the show made me scream. When they compared a Knights broadsword to a pirates cutlass, and found them dead even, without testing the bloody cutlass against knight platemail, when they were soooo up for that for the pirates guns. Silly.