Facehugging solution

• Remove the stupid bubble. Instead, make weapon tracers for stabs start from the ‘back’ of the weapon and quickly move forward as the release goes through. This would mean that at facehug range, the parry tracer will catch the stab tracer in the front, instead of making you have to turn 90 or 180 to block it.

As for overhead tracers, I feel there isn’t much need to change them other than the obvious poles on pole weapons that should not count as a hit. Slash tracers don’t really need much to them either.

• I think you missunderstand what facehugging was all about pre patch. This was usually done by MAA or one handed weapons. Basically you would get in someones face so close that it was very hard to see which direction the spamming swings were coming from, thus making it hard to parry to the extreme left and right. Overheads and stabs were much easier to detect so they were never that much of a problem.

The problem is not in the mechanics or the tactic of facehugging as you can do this in real life. The problem is with players not willing to learn or gain the skills necessary to predict, defeat or counter this very valid tactic. So enough whining and complaining happened that the DEV solution was to increase the collusion bubble to allow noobs the ability to see where the swings were coming from which in turn created all the issues I have posted before in many threads.

You would rarely hear if a high leveled, skilled player bitching about face hugging because they knew of several ways of combating this, keeping your proper distance, anticipating and parring accordingly, kicks and feints among the basic ways of dealing with this non issue. All of those require time in the seat so to speak to learn and gain those skills. Once that was accomplished, facehugging was a non issue for the skilled.

Yes there is a minor issue with weapon animations starting inside a players model but either way the attack was valid if there was no anticipated parry. Again, this is where the experience and skills comes in to play.

Your idea is interesting but is problematic as usually pointy weapons will do damage no matter what the distance, up close and personal or at range.

I would rather have the bubble back to it’s original size and deal with far fewer side effects than all the current issues because of it.

• @Retsnom:

I think you missunderstand what facehugging was all about pre patch. This was usually done by MAA or one handed weapons. Basically you would get in someones face so close that it was very hard to see which direction the spamming swings were coming from, thus making it hard to parry to the extreme left and right. Overheads and stabs were much easier to detect so they were never that much of a problem.

The problem is not in the mechanics or the tactic of facehugging as you can do this in real life. The problem is with players not willing to learn or gain the skills necessary to predict, defeat or counter this very valid tactic. So enough whining and complaining happened that the DEV solution was to increase the collusion bubble to allow noobs the ability to see where the swings were coming from which in turn created all the issues I have posted before in many threads.

You would rarely hear if a high leveled, skilled player bitching about face hugging because they knew of several ways of combating this, keeping your proper distance, anticipating and parring accordingly, kicks and feints among the basic ways of dealing with this non issue. All of those require time in the seat so to speak to learn and gain those skills. Once that was accomplished, facehugging was a non issue for the skilled.

Yes there is a minor issue with weapon animations starting inside a players model but either way the attack was valid if there was no anticipated parry. Again, this is where the experience and skills comes in to play.

Your idea is interesting but is problematic as usually pointy weapons will do damage no matter what the distance, up close and personal or at range.

I would rather have the bubble back to it’s original size and deal with far fewer side effects than all the current issues because of it.

Well I thought stabs that started inside meant you had to block backwards, and my suggestion would at least fix that, but I agree with you. I never really had an issue with facehugging, even as a noob. I knew you had to aim parries and I simply didn’t have the skill or twitch reflex to turn 90 degrees to block them (by the way, MAA can still get up close and make you have to turn 70-80 just to block, so the bubble does fuck all).

TL;DR: Yep, the bubble is useless anyways. remove it.

• You stole my idea.

Retsnom is half right. You do just need more skill. But thats to block overheads and LMBs. All the skill in the world won’t help you against a stab that starts inside of you.

• @lemonater47:

You stole my idea.

Retsnom is half right. You do just need more skill. But thats to block overheads and LMBs. All the skill in the world won’t help you against a stab that starts inside of you.

You can start parry just before the release starts.

Retsnard failed to mention the instance where you could face hug, bend down looking at the floor, and slash blindly at peoples feet. The bubble stopped that nonsense.

• @giantyak:

@lemonater47:

You stole my idea.

But that’s a gamble to make, because then you’re SOL if the other guy feints.

• @giantyak:

@lemonater47:

You stole my idea.

Retsnard failed to mention the instance where you could face hug, bend down looking at the floor, and slash blindly at peoples feet. The bubble stopped that nonsense.

UM…sorry giantdik no, the bubble didnt stop that, the look down attack speed was nerfed, aka slowed down so that it is much harder to do it. But it still happens with certain weapons like the bearded axe and few long swords. Thus the bubble has nothing to do with the look down overhead at all. If anything the bubble causes more overhead misses or swing throughs. So try again…

• @Retsnom:

@giantyak:

@lemonater47:

You stole my idea.

UM…sorry giantdik no, the bubble didnt stop that, the look down attack speed was nerfed, aka slowed down so that it is much harder to do it. But it still happens with certain weapons like the bearded axe and few long swords. Thus the bubble has nothing to do with the look down overhead at all. If anything the bubble causes more overhead misses or swing throughs. So try again…

No he means when people walk up to you ALREADY LOOKING DOWN and slash at your feet.

Wasn’t a common strategy. People really just started using it a bit more when they added the bubble. I had forgot about it. You had to crouch to block it. And that didn’t work 100%. Standing up you didn’t have a chance. Crouching is also rather clunky.

Lookdown overheads don’t have anything to do with the bubble. And he wasn’t talking about them.

• @lemonater47:

No he means when people walk up to you ALREADY LOOKING DOWN and slash at your feet.

Wasn’t a common strategy. People really just started using it a bit more when they added the bubble. I had forgot about it. You had to crouch to block it. And that didn’t work 100%. Standing up you didn’t have a chance. Crouching is also rather clunky.

Lookdown overheads don’t have anything to do with the bubble. And he wasn’t talking about them.

UM…. NO. This has been happening since that game was released when players playing in 3rd person figured out that it was a super easy kill to be looking down in 3rd person and overheading. This is nothing new and was/is a very common strategy for 3rd person players. There are plenty of old threads bitching about it, aka why the look down speed was nerfed partially because of this. You can always tell who is playing in 3rd person because this is SOP.

• I don’t play on many 3rd person servers. Not since oceanic servers were dominated by first person only servers back in January. And that’s a long time ago to remember clearly.

And you’d be surprised. People still use that stratagy even in the first person only servers. Though they would lookdown right before they wound up. It could also trick people into blocking early like a feint.

And they look down more than a third person player does.

• You can always argue players just need skill to work with a broken mechanic because a broken mechanic is still a mechanic. It isn’t reason alone not to fix it.

Now, the OP has a good suggestion, especially with stab. But I don’t think it would be enough to remove bubble. Still, stab suggestion is a good suggestion. As long as the tracer changes position on the weapon quickly[near instantly] enough, it shouldn’t cause any problems.

A more realistic approach would be to treat players like walls during windups. So if any part of a weapon hits a player during windup, the attack is canceled as if it hit a wall. But I’m sure this would just ruin the game, especially during cluster battles. And cause players to be able to effectively block and attack at the same time in many situations.

The thing is, the bubble isn’t too much of a problem. It really only comes into play in a few scenarios that actually matter as far as class and weapon balance are concerned.

• @dpunk:

You can always argue players just need skill to work with a broken mechanic because a broken mechanic is still a mechanic. It isn’t reason alone not to fix it.

Now, the OP has a good suggestion, especially with stab. But I don’t think it would be enough to remove bubble. Still, stab suggestion is a good suggestion. As long as the tracer changes position on the weapon quickly[near instantly] enough, it shouldn’t cause any problems.

A more realistic approach would be to treat players like walls during windups. So if any part of a weapon hits a player during windup, the attack is canceled as if it hit a wall. But I’m sure this would just ruin the game, especially during cluster battles. And cause players to be able to effectively block and attack at the same time in many situations.

The thing is, the bubble isn’t too much of a problem. It really only comes into play in a few scenarios that actually matter as far as class and weapon balance are concerned.

I think you need to read the bubble needs to GO NOW thread. The side effects of the bubble far out weigh any benefit of the bubble, as there are very few positives from it.

• @Retsnom:

@dpunk:

You can always argue players just need skill to work with a broken mechanic because a broken mechanic is still a mechanic. It isn’t reason alone not to fix it.

I think you need to read the bubble needs to GO NOW thread. The side effects of the bubble far out weigh any benefit of the bubble, as there are very few positives from it.

That’s a matter if opinion.

• The thing is, the bubble is really annoying and isn’t the solution. But they need to find a solution for the problems the bubble was intended before they remove it.

Retsnom, I’ve read that thread. I understand you hate the bubble, I don’t like it either. But I do think it fixed more important problems than it created. You list at least 6 points in that thread, but 2 of them have nothing to do with the bubble and the others are minor in terms of balance.