If you fix it, they will come (open letter to TBS)

• (sorry for double post, I didn’t mean to post it in the deadliest warrior section)

Chivalry is an awesome game that I hold very dearly in the subcockles of my heart. I even think Chivalry could be a heavy hitter in E-Sports and am in the process of getting an FFA league together.

However, there are fundamental problems (in my opinion) that hamper the experience. When a person gets a game on sale, as is the case with most Chivalry buyers, it’s easier for them to get frustrated and move on to another game. So when you run into; a glitchy intro screen, server list problems, get into a game and have lag spikes and FPS drops, not to mention the glitches and getting kicked for standing still for 5 seconds and you only payed 8 dollars for the game… chances are you are just gonna go play something else.

The main thing frustrating people is not the lack of a certain weapon, or level, or color for their armor, or playing cards, or special helmets… Its the FPS drops, the server lag, the fact that microphones don’t work for the most part… except for seemingly the most annoying people in the world. Its the server list telling you a server is full and then you get in it and it’s empty or vice versa.

You guys basically built cool car, that looks good on the outside. But when people buy it they are finding engine problems. Instead of fixing the engine problems you are adding accessories and stickers to it and having sales.

_That is not going to create longevity for your company
    _

50% of new companies fail, and its because they try and do too much to look fancy and never end up offering a solid product. You are not a pro studio(no offense) stop trying to act like one. The most important thing is that you build your company on a reliable foundation, that foundation being a game that people can look at and say, “That is a well made game.” Doesn’t have to be fancy, but solid. At some point the whole independent/small studio thing has to stop being an excuse.

Re-focus your efforts into optimization and getting everything working the way it should. This game can elevate from cult classic to smash hit by just keeping it simple, and getting back to the basics.

• Also remember that most people have affordable computers in the 500-1000 range. Don’t let your $1500+ computers blind you to the way most people really see this game.

• After selling 1.2 million copies I imagine they’ve exhausted their sales base, or are close enough to it. A company will also fail if they can’t keep funds incoming- you have to remember that.

Couple that with how things have been going. It’s often said the most stable version of the game was release, and the bugs seem to grow as they change more and more. I’m not in any way aware of the actual situation with the expansion but Spike TV does have a video game studio, and I imagine they’re throwing in more money for the production of the game. Hopefully that’s two additional resources that can help the situation with Chivalry itself.

Yes, it’s possible the expansion will have all of the bugs the original has now, but there’s just as good a chance that working on a new product and building it up again can help shed some light on the original’s issues. If TB runs out of money by working too long on one product then Chivalry will NEVER be fixed.

• Oh god, THE FATE OF CHIVALRY WILL BE SEALED!!
    I wonder… since they’re an indie company, wont it be quite easy for the programmers to just look up the bugs whenever they want? I mean, I’m a junior programmer and whenever I encounter a bug, and can’t fix it I usually think about it all the time, until it clicks, and then I go and fix it. Wouldn’t it be the same? And I know! These huge bugs can’t be fixed so easily, but bugs like the setting not working correctly, and the game crashing when changing servers should be a lot easier…

• First of all Chivalry is not a very demanding game for 2013. If you’re having severe problems then it is time for an upgrade. Secondly bugfixing is an ongoing thing. A lot of people seem to forget that this isn’t a static game. They’re not working with the same build that was there since launch.

Some things carry over but whenever something is added it can create a plethora of new bugs. TBS has been adding new things to the game since launch and with those changes come new bugs. There are a few bugs that seem to have persisted far longer than it seems they should but I don’t think they’re ignoring them.

The server browser is the greatest example, it still has problems even though “fixes” are included with every patch, but I imagine they’re new bugs every time they fix the old ones. That’s just the reality of game development. You fix one thing and another breaks. You implement a new feature and an already established feature breaks. Rinse and repeat.

• @aerational:

Re-focus your efforts into optimization

My laptop with a non-fancy video card can play it just fine.

Get a job and a real computer.

• @gregcau:

@aerational:

Re-focus your efforts into optimization

My laptop with a non-fancy video card can play it just fine.

Get a job and a real computer.

This. Chivalry runs fine on semi-new laptops and anything that isn’t a netbook.

• ^this

I never played game that buggy before and love it so much. I really hope that they will try and polish it as far as they can so we can start playing more competitively.

• I agree with OP

• @Sidewinder:

First of all Chivalry is not a very demanding game for 2013. If you’re having severe problems then it is time for an upgrade.

I totally get this point, but look at it this way: a lot of people have sub-optimal computers, and for those people it’s a simple choice between $20 for a game + $1,000 for a new computer to play that game on, vs $20 for some other game that actually runs.

Some folks will upgrade, and some, like me, will just soldier on and put 250+ hours into the game on min settings while keeping to 5v5 or smaller rooms (hey, it’s a living) and still have a rocking good time. But I figure a good number of people will just buy a different game, and maybe it’s in TB’s best interest to minimize that number, if possible.

And more to the point, I think: Optimizing the game and fixing some bugs will help more than adding small new features.

• @stickytape:

@Sidewinder:

First of all Chivalry is not a very demanding game for 2013. If you’re having severe problems then it is time for an upgrade.

I totally get this point, but look at it this way: a lot of people have sub-optimal computers, and for those people it’s a simple choice between $20 for a game + $1,000 for a new computer to play that game on, vs $20 for some other game that actually runs.

Some folks will upgrade, and some, like me, will just soldier on and put 250+ hours into the game on min settings while keeping to 5v5 or smaller rooms (hey, it’s a living) and still have a rocking good time. But I figure a good number of people will just buy a different game, and maybe it’s in TB’s best interest to minimize that number, if possible.

And more to the point, I think: Optimizing the game and fixing some bugs will help more than adding small new features.

Well, yeah, by any means, optimize the game as much as you can. Optimizing in itself can fix a lot of bugs along the way because a lot of behind-the-scenes bugs can hinder performance.

I’m just saying that if you have a netbook or 10 year old laptop, don’t expect the game to be playable lol

• +1
    I’m all for optimizing the game, but just think about it like this

GOLDEN HATS>Optimizing

• @Terminally:

GOLDEN HATS>Optimizing

I know right. I’d say:
    Bug Fixing > Optimization > Everything else

• Dear lord. Good things are resulting from what looked like garbage. I take everything bad I said about Deadliest back.

• If nothing else stable 64 players is excellent news. The two SM servers were supposed to be 64 slots but we could never get them running reasonably. If we can get stability then we’ll likely increase both of ours to 64 :D

• @Sidewinder:

First of all Chivalry is not a very demanding game for 2013. If you’re having severe problems then it is time for an upgrade. Secondly bugfixing is an ongoing thing. A lot of people seem to forget that this isn’t a static game. They’re not working with the same build that was there since launch.

Some things carry over but whenever something is added it can create a plethora of new bugs. TBS has been adding new things to the game since launch and with those changes come new bugs. There are a few bugs that seem to have persisted far longer than it seems they should but I don’t think they’re ignoring them.

The server browser is the greatest example, it still has problems even though “fixes” are included with every patch, but I imagine they’re new bugs every time they fix the old ones. That’s just the reality of game development. You fix one thing and another breaks. You implement a new feature and an already established feature breaks. Rinse and repeat.

I just built a new computer and I get 60 fps on all the highest settings. I played on a 500 dollar computer before that and got about 15 fps average on lowest settings and tweaking engine shit. Even now with 60 fps there are a lot of little glitches having to do with the look and feel of the game from server list to in game attack and block glitches that can really get to you at the right moment.

• Totally agree. It’s the small bugs that matter the most for me personally given that there are plenty of them. I mean some bugged stairs which are not 100% passable can be ignored. However, all the occasional anger from fails and probably shitty performace as backgroundmusic to a whole bug festival things really add up real quick.
    The game has such an awesome concept and you just want to keep playing it forever but after a few weeks I myself get too frustrated about all those little things which make the game look like a crumbling shack all over and I simply have to quit for a while. In fact, many people will just quit the game for good after a few weeks and move on without even bothering the forums and I think if there was a real competitor for chivarly the game would even lose it’s core community.
    It is even worse now that most people bought the game on sale together with a bunch of other games, hence they don’t really feel like they’d miss anything as they merely quit a bug infestated minigame and replace it with another not necessarily worse, but most likely less buggy one. Additionally TBS seems to show zero interest in fixing those bugs. I mean the bug compilation thread has been around since when? And how much % of this list was actually fixed? TBS says they fix bugs all the time with each and every patch but those bugs they fix came with the previous patch. TBS merely stops the pile from growing bigger but never even started skimming it.

About the performance issue: the game does run on the brink of unplayability if you match it’s min requirements which should not be the case (default - low settings). The crappy official servers don’t help it either. Sure you could just go and buy a new PC or you play games from 2009 to 2013 with better graphics AND better performance. I will eventually upgrade my system but I won’t do that for chivarly alone while everything else is still running great.
    Anyway the community helps alot with that and there are nice perfomance tweaks available that really helped me out so if you suffer bad performance it is eventually your own fault in most cases but it still hurts the game’s image.

I seriously hope this will change on the long run as this game is barely a year old but has a community compare-able to a 4 year old indie-game. Expansions, sequels what-ever it is they are working on are fine if they’re meant to bring in some cash for the overall development but I fear they’ll just be another layer of paint for the crumbling shack.

• @Escadin:

…but I fear they’ll just be another layer of paint for the crumbling shack.

Nice metaphor. That basically explains everything.

• OP started good. There are a few simply things that when fixed/balanced will make this a great game, especially for newcommers. This is because the game is ‘almost there’ already.

But, the points of problems the OP brings up are all wrong. None of those issues are gamebreaking enough to turn off a new player. I run chivalry on a 5 year old computer with 50 average fps.

• @MonkeyFiend:

If nothing else stable 64 players is excellent news. The two SM servers were supposed to be 64 slots but we could never get them running reasonably. If we can get stability then we’ll likely increase both of ours to 64 :D

@Sidewinder:

Dear lord. Good things are resulting from what looked like garbage. I take everything bad I said about Deadliest back.

And my post is missing. As well as a particular Slyquote.