The real solution for teamkilling

• Okay, I’ve posted this already a couple of times in similar threads but since most of these threads disappear into thin air I decided to write it down a final time.

This system is used in Movie Battles II and is pretty simple but works really nicely:

• When you hit your mates you get “TK-Points” based on the amount of damage you did.
      For example you hit your mate and do 30 damage you get 30 TK-Points.
    • When you kill your mate you get 100 TK-Points, however your victim can “forgive you” or “punish you” (by writing !forgive or !punish into the chat). Forgiving removes the TK-Points, punishish doubles them (pretty much).
    • When you reach a certain amount of TK-Points you get killed/kicked/banned.

This system is used in Movie Battles II since ages and always worked fine.

• B3 bot has an implementation of the punish/forgive system (although use of B3 seems to cause crashes at the moment)

However I’m not a great fan of punish/forgive simply because people invariably punish, even if it was their own fault for charging into the middle of a battle.

Also any damage based system probably won’t go down too well with anyone that uses the ballista :P

I personally would love to see some sort of mirrored damage so that the person doing the damage gets punished straight away and for extreme or repeated attacks ends up killing themselves.

• Don’t focus too much on the forgive/punish-thing. This system would also work without that.

• Again, viewtopic.php?f=51&t=16305

This is almost the same system used by Movie Battles, except that it allows for further customization by server admins.
    You can have different values for each game mode, aswell as a few extra options (such as ignore team damage from Kings).

• Total team damage dealt is WORSE than percentage.

I was playing on a RO2 server and was second on the scoreboard as a flamethrower but got kicked as I reached the maximum team damage limit. Becuase if fire touches anyone they will die so you always deal the full 100 damage to them. And the enemy commander got kicked as his arty strike killed some team mates.

Games vary in length a lot. And many times in chiv its not your fault.

• Well for that reason there was a timer in MB2 so TK-points wouldn’t stay all the time. After some time they would disappear.
    Just saying, MB2 is not that much different from Chivalry (melee + ranged combat, objectives etc) and it always worked fine over all these years. And I’m pretty sure it would work just as fine in Chivalry.

• This was implemented on some AOC servers and it totally sucked because it doesn’t take into consideration of potential catapult kills and stupid teammates running into impact zones, not talking or helping range in a player on a catapult. They can be very viable in game but a TK system like this makes us cat guys hate it.

• @Retsnom:

This was implemented on some AOC servers and it totally sucked because it doesn’t take into consideration of potential catapult kills and stupid teammates running into impact zones, not talking or helping range in a player on a catapult. They can be very viable in game but a TK system like this makes us cat guys hate it.

Not really. It depends on the implementation.
    In the case of my mod the admin can fully customize those values based on the game mode.
    For instance, LTS should give more punishment than TO.
    A player typing !f/!forgive will also not give any extra points to the TKer.
    The damage to TK points converter multiplier can also be customized by the admin, aswell as the quantity of points one will receive for auto and manual punishes and the maximum number of TK points before Kickban.

This system has been in-testing for a while now, but people in here just prefers to ignore everything I’ve said and bitch instead of helping test those features.

• @Retsnom:

This was implemented on some AOC servers and it totally sucked because it doesn’t take into consideration of potential catapult kills and stupid teammates running into impact zones, not talking or helping range in a player on a catapult. They can be very viable in game but a TK system like this makes us cat guys hate it.

At the moment this game doesn’t count catapult or ballista kills as team damage. You can kill as many team mates as you want and it won’t count.

Which is for the best as if it did count that’s anywhere between 200-600 team damage like that.

And most of my team damage is becuase of people who think that see Rambo and try and steal kills of do other stupid things getting in the way. And most team damage is accidental anyway.

People who do it on purpose get kicked with the current system.

All the OPs suggestion will do is increase the amount of legitimate players being kicked massively while hardly having any more of an affect on actual teamkillers.

That is what happens. Its been tested. Counter strike, RO2, nuclear dawn you name it. Its a flawed system. And in those games accidental team damage happens far less than in chivalry. As you have more precise weapons.

• There’s a server here on the East Coast (I’m assuming, it has incredibly low ping for me) called The Art of War Gaming.

In that server when you team kill someone that person must type !fp into the chat to forgive the kill, just like you were saying. 3 unforgiven kills results in someone being immediately booted from the game.

When you attack a teammate or kill them it tells you to stop doing it in bright yellow letters in the chat, and brings about attention to the fact that someone is in fact attacking their teammates. This is very helpful when you get TKed by a guy, because if you see his name in the chat as hitting a bunch of people a lot then you can just not forgive him and the server will work it out.

The only downside to this server is that people join and not everyone understands how it works, so a lot of forgivable team kills go punished and people are sometimes booted when there’s a high influx of people who aren’t aware of how the server works. But I’d say 80% of the time it’s my favorite server. If this were common practice in all servers this problem would completely go away, though.

I also tend to find more mature, less trolly individuals on there. I’m wondering how this would really work on a massive scale since 75% of the player base seems to be made up of immature, more trolly individuals.

The guy who coded it is on the server playing a lot… I mean I’m sure he’d help the developers figure out how to make it work. As it is right now this server runs really well and everything seems to be coded in a solid manner. No silly bugs or anything around that I can tell, and I try and get on there a lot now.

• i played on a server that had that. i hated it, because it just clutters up the chatbox, and really who has the time to read all of that shit and decide what to forgive and what not? in fact, 99% of the time i get hit by an ally i don’t know who did it.

adding a FF counter to the stats would be a so much better AND easier solution. just make sure you give both % and total FF damage, or total FF and total legit damage.

• I don’t think we should focus so much on teamkilling. It’s not really that big of a deal and it’s guaranteed to happen in Chivalry.