Has anyone else lost interest in this game since expansion?

• Ever since they announced the hugely disappointing expansion for Chivalry, I just find my self rarely playing any more and not as interested in this game as much. I loved Chivalry to death, I played it so much and was so excited for its future. But with this announcement, I know Torn Banner is just too small and have let me down so many times in the past with their updates and patches that I feel like there’s very little hope to the original Chivalry now. There’s still so much fixing and work to be done in the old Chivalry that there’s no possible way for it to get done while they’re working on the expansion.

I’m not trying to cause dissent or anything on the forums in this game, I’m just expressing my opinion as a customer and a player of the game since closed beta. Hexen always said that he was worried about this game’s future too a long time ago because of patches and how they would change the game entirely. I didn’t want to believe it, thinking while patches can sometimes destroy games, it makes most games better and more fun. But I think he was right about Chivalry. This game is much different from the game I played last October and I just find my self enjoying it far less and with such little hope of it improving now.

What do you guys think? I’m playing other games that I used to play before Chivalry way more often now simply because I just don’t feel happy with Chivalry any more. I loved the original Chivalry so much but I just don’t have the excitement for it any more. I have no interest in the expansion whatsoever. I want medieval European knights, not Spartans or Samurai or anything else. I was really hoping that those sorts of things would be left to the community’s hands only through mods, while Torn Banner focused on improving the original Chivalry. :/

• IMO most of the major stuff that needs doing includes fixing gamecode, bugs etc., - since the deadliest warrior is almost certainly using the same backbone of the game, any bugfixes and optimisations made for this should be passed into chivalry too.

The area where we might be lacking would be new maps, but UDK is fairly mature so that when tornbanner get around to putting proper 3rd party maps support in, the community will probably produce enough to keep people happy for the foreseeable future.

• I’ll lose interest if they make it suck, but not before. And I’ll say right now I don’t know how they can make it not suck, but I’m hoping they’ll surprise.

• I want to play the new expansion when it comes out, but I’m probably going to not buy it until people I know vouch for it. Honestly I still love this game, even in this form (though I do agree it was better before they fixed/broke it through a series of unfortunate patches). I tend to stick with quicker round/fast paced games that I can turn off or on easily, given the kind of work I do. For example- I love Mortal Kombat, so don’t really take my taste in games too seriously.

I think, since I’m still enjoying Chivalry, that I’m just content starved and hoping for the best. Everyone I’ve shown the trailer to for CDW that doesn’t play CMW thinks the game looks entirely stupid, as I did. Once you get past the “Oh man, that’s a Samurai! Look something I haven’t done a billion times yet!” it loses 99% of the charm I think they’re going for. Tacking a TV show name into your game isn’t a very good way to be taken seriously, especially since the show is dead. I don’t imagine it will sell to anyone who isn’t already a Chivalry fan.

Mostly I’m worried that since they have some sort of partnership with Spike (I think…?) that the game is going to be much pricier than CMW was. If it’s going to retail at $60 I would seriously reconsider my excitement for it. I could do another $25 game though, even as buggy as it’s sure to be.

• @quigleyer:

<snip>

Mostly I’m worried that since they have some sort of partnership with Spike (I think…?) that the game is going to be much pricier than CMW was. If it’s going to retail at $60 I would seriously reconsider my excitement for it. I could do another $25 game though, even as buggy as it’s sure to be.</snip>

FYI:

CHIVALRY: DEADLIEST WARRIOR will be available this Fall for $14.99 on Steam and look out for the beta, coming soon.

• @MonkeyFiend:

@quigleyer:

<snip>

Mostly I’m worried that since they have some sort of partnership with Spike (I think…?) that the game is going to be much pricier than CMW was. If it’s going to retail at $60 I would seriously reconsider my excitement for it. I could do another $25 game though, even as buggy as it’s sure to be.</snip>

FYI:

CHIVALRY: DEADLIEST WARRIOR will be available this Fall for $14.99 on Steam and look out for the beta, coming soon.

Well sheeeeit. Yeah, I’ll get it, no reason not to at that price. Thanks for info MonkeyFiend.

Good call Torn Banner/Spike/whomever is responsible for that one.

• I’ll put it this way: There are two Chivalry-related forces acting on me at all times: the desire to play Chivalry as I remember it most fondly, and the desire to stop playing Chivalry as it actually often is.

When I’m not actually playing the game, I tend to think of only the good parts, and I want to log in and start hacking off limbs. But as I actually play, my irritation with lag, glitches, and just other weird characteristics of the game starts to wear me down until I log off. (Sometimes I log off because I have better things to do, but let’s face it, not as often as I probably should. ^__^)

For now, those two forces are more or less equal, but fluctuating enough that I still log in. If they ever reach an equilibrium, or if the latter totally eclipses the former, then I’ll stop. Until then, I’m playing.

• I just honestly dont understand, why Deadliest Warrior? The show is dead and over, and has been. Would make sense if a new season was comin out or sonething, but who really cares about DW at this point, its not even on anymore lol?

• Nah I do feel the same way. Maybe they’ll use the money they will make with this expansion to work on the core game… maybe that was their plan all along. If not- I’m out :<

• There is so much entitlement in this thread you could cut it with a butter knife.

• I don’t have nearly as many hours as most of you do in Chiv, so I’m still happy with the current content load. I do see some of the flaws you guys talk about, but I find it overall to still be lots of fun. Even better with friends. Even if the expansion is absolutely horrid, I’ll still have the vanilla experience to enjoy.

• idk I go back and after several servers pretending to be full I get into one and its battlegrounds and 7/8 objectives complete and its impossible to figure out what is left.

so back to watching Masterchef.

• I lost interest (and patients) shortly after the customization update. To me the game doesn’t feel right anymore. :?

• I’m Very good at ignoring things and adapting. So I still have sever hundred more hours to go till it gets boring. If that happens.

I think they did deadliest warrior as it gives them an excuse to amd a whole bunch of wanted soldiers into the game.

Modellers, map makers and animators can’t do much to fix bugs. So you might as well pay them to do something. The code is pretty much all there from normal chiv.

• If you guys are losing interest, you could check out the mods section and see some of the upcoming and released mods and maps. Admittedly it’s pretty hard to get a game on these things at the moment because there’s so few players with the beta downloaded, but the more players the merrier.

• If thinking is getting in the way of your Chivalry sessions, you weren’t playing Chivalry properly.

Chivalry is a demarcated time where you stop thinking and start mashing faces as a replacement.

I get that if this was a World of Warcraft expansion, where the content they put out is something you would have to commit dozens of hours to regardless of quality, you would be concerned about things like creative direction.

Being a round by round game however, you’re not forced to go through content to progress further. You pick and choose what levels and game modes you want to play. If you don’t like them, you traditionally vote with your feet, or play a more preferable mod, or take a break.

Summary: if you enjoyed face mashing in the first place, all the reasons to continue to enjoy face mashing are still there.

• @Digital:

If thinking is getting in the way of your Chivalry sessions, you weren’t playing Chivalry properly.

Chivalry is a demarcated time where you stop thinking and start mashing faces as a replacement.

I get that if this was a World of Warcraft expansion, where the content they put out is something you would have to commit dozens of hours to regardless of quality, you would be concerned about things like creative direction.

Being a round by round game however, you’re not forced to go through content to progress further. You pick and choose what levels and game modes you want to play. If you don’t like them, you traditionally vote with your feet, or play a more preferable mod, or take a break.

Summary: if you enjoyed face mashing in the first place, all the reasons to continue to enjoy face mashing are still there.

No, actually, the removal of combo feint to parry and archer and MaA buffs and knight nerfs and all this stuff in the recent patches made the game take way more thinking and less mashing, thus become a lot more slow paced, boring, strategic, and less skill based IMO. One of the main fun killers in Chivalry to me. It’s less about reaction and more about thinking.

• @NabsterHax:

If you guys are losing interest, you could check out the mods section and see some of the upcoming and released mods and maps. Admittedly it’s pretty hard to get a game on these things at the moment because there’s so few players with the beta downloaded, but the more players the merrier.

Was the SDK ever finished? So that you don’t have to run a custom installer to play a map?

• @gregcau:

@NabsterHax:

If you guys are losing interest, you could check out the mods section and see some of the upcoming and released mods and maps. Admittedly it’s pretty hard to get a game on these things at the moment because there’s so few players with the beta downloaded, but the more players the merrier.

Was the SDK ever finished? So that you don’t have to run a custom installer to play a map?

SDK is still in progress. You still need the beta to play custom content at the moment, but installing is as simple as dragging and dropping a folder.

• @SOC:

@Digital:

If thinking is getting in the way of your Chivalry sessions, you weren’t playing Chivalry properly.

No, actually, the removal of combo feint to parry and archer and MaA buffs and knight nerfs and all this stuff in the recent patches made the game take way more thinking and less mashing, thus become a lot more slow paced, boring, strategic, and less skill based IMO. One of the main fun killers in Chivalry to me. It’s less about reaction and more about thinking.

Knight was hardly nerfed. Archer is pretty much back to where it started and Nobody played MAA beforehand. Vanguard has been indirectly nerfed as well.

When I found out out to combo feint parry I found it cheap and too easy. It could make you in icible in any 1v1 situation and you could be highly agressive at all times. And when you went up against someone else who used it fights took a really long time. Till each others stamina ran out usually.

The class buffs and nerfs have nothing to do with reaction. You just really want combo feint parry back. Learn to duck and have fun with that. Target switch. Or make up other fun things to do. Like riding the boats on hillside.