Random Lag while playing…

• Sometimes when I play, the game majorly lags and I get fps drop, or lag-spikes/frame-skipping. The funny thing is that it happens at RANDOMLY, as I said. It does NOT happen on certain maps, it can happen on any, where I previously played perfectly fine. And has nothing to do with player amount either, because it does, as previously said, happen randomly.
    Something else that is VERY important is the way the game saves your video settings. From what I’ve seen it doesn’t even say the right thing, true or false that is. So that might be a reason. It’s important to at least be able to change your settings correct so your computer will be able to handle it.
    I don’t even know if that’s the case, but it’s something people have noticed.

• Not sure if it’s the same… But especially on the last objective on hillside I get really strange lags. Ping and fps are both good but I warp like hell just if I had a ping of 600 or so. Didn’t happen before the last major patch.

• nope he said it happens on different maps.

Wondering if it’s something running locally on the machine that freezes it up. When the issues happen does your actual ping increase in the scoreboard as well as the drop in fps?

Could be something like Antivirus, antispyware or something like dropbox doing a sync

• My ping does NOT increase, and I don’t think it’s the antivirus or Dropbox, because this never happened in previous game version.

• @Kewlan:

My ping does NOT increase, and I don’t think it’s the antivirus or Dropbox, because this never happened in previous game version.

well if your ping isn’t increasing bu tthe fps is dropping, it has to be something on your machine that’s causing it.

The only thing I can suggest is to run a perfmon trace then play the game and see what’s happening with the system resources when the FPS drop occurs

• Are you sure your processor isn’t overheating?

• I really don’t think so, since Chivalry is the only thing I have up except Steam and Google Chrome. But maybe? How old can processors become? I’ve had mine for about 5 years, maybe? It has 3 cores with 3.4 GHz.

• @Kewlan:

I really don’t think so, since Chivalry is the only thing I have up except Steam and Google Chrome. But maybe? How old can processors become? I’ve had mine for about 5 years, maybe? It has 3 cores with 3.4 GHz.

A phenom X3 or similar?

Anyhoo another think worth trying : start the game, alt-tab out, start task manager and set the priority of UDK.exe to high. If there’s interference from other things munching CPU this should help (though you have to do it each time)

• Athlon II X3 actually.
    Alright, thanks for the tip. I’ll try that!

• @Kewlan:

Something else that is VERY important is the way the game saves your video settings. From what I’ve seen it doesn’t even say the right thing, true or false that is.

I’ve reported that bug, zero response.

You should indeed check your cpu temps when playing the game, use a tool like this one for example.

• Yeah, with a 5 year old processor experiencing random slowdowns, overheating would definitely be my guess here. My old CPU started overheating in Chivalry around when I planned to replace it. You can underclock + undervolt it as a temporary solution, but obviously you’ll get less processing power out of it that way.

Obviously messing around with clock speeds or voltage is always something you do at your own risk (though I’m not really aware of any risks associated with undervolting), don’t hold me responsible if your PC explodes or something. :P

• Just had a game on Citadel, second objective I began seeing some really weird lag. My FPS was dropping rather significantly, though I still ran ~60 according to stat fps. I asked the room if they were experiencing and sure enough they were, 5-6 yes, none answered no, but some did not answer. After the slave objective (before door objective) it then went away, I once again asked the room if it was better. 7 responses said yes. So they were seeing the same thing I was at the same time I was.

Was on an official East Coast TO server and all pings seemed fine, about an hour ago or less. Yes, I should know better than to play on those.

Honestly I don’t think it’s that guy’s computer either. I doubt it was 5-7 people’s computers at the same time for my ocasion either, it’s much more likely it was Chivalry.

Like the OP I’ve noticed this at no particular time or for any particular reason. I’ve noticed it on hillside, stoneshill, and citadel rather frequently, but at no particular time in those maps.

Processor is 9 month old Intel Core i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (whatever that means).
    Running a Nvidia Geforce 660 ti
    16 gigs of RAM
    some asrock-something-or-other motherboard.

All parts 9 months old and in perfect working condition. No other experiences like this except Chivalry. Honestly- feels and sounds like server lag of some kind, but I’m not expert.