Wrong camera angle when spectating

• As I wrote: Wrong camera angle when spectating. By that I mean that it show everything upside down or horizontally wrong etc. I still move right when I press D and so on.

• Mine’s always on its side when it bugs out, which leads me to believe it has to do with the first person camera when you die (like it’s the same angle my vision lands at when I fall and die).

Happens a lot to me, maybe once a day, twice a day.

• It happens to me 95% of the time…

• @Kewlan:

It happens to me 95% of the time…

Good god.

Curiously does it happen when you spectate without dying?

• No, never.
    I do think it’s because I have all ragdoll bodies set to disappear after 1 second, and before the camera exits the bodies on it’s own, it disappears and the camera get’s stuck.

• @Kewlan:

No, never.
    I do think it’s because I have all ragdoll bodies set to disappear after 1 second, and before the camera exits the bodies on it’s own, it disappears and the camera get’s stuck.

Aha, I also have my ragdoll set very low, though not immediately after death. My bodies usually stay for a good 4-5 seconds after death, but that’s probably low enough time to have it disappear and have my spectate mode get messed up too.

I’ll see if I can get it to happen even more often by setting the ragdoll even lower tomorrow.

• Haha alright, I’ll try to increase it and see if my PC can handle it, and if it changes anything.

• Yeah, because the camera follows your corpse on death, setting ragdolls to disappear immediately (or after a very short delay) will cause weird camera motions. But are you saying it’s persisting long after death for you, beyond the point where the camera should be locked to your corpse? I haven’t experienced that, definitely a little strange. Fixing the issue with the camera and corpses should hopefully alleviate this problem as well, but any more information you can provide would be good.

• The camera is only weird right after I died, and when I spectate until I respawn or rejoin a server.
    Was that the information you were looking for, Mr.Goat?

• @Kewlan:

The camera is only weird right after I died, and when I spectate until I respawn or rejoin a server.

Right, so it’s the entire time you’re dead and not just the first, like, 5 seconds (the time when it would normally make the camera follow your corpse as it falls).

• @SlyGoat:

@Kewlan:

The camera is only weird right after I died, and when I spectate until I respawn or rejoin a server.

Right, so it’s the entire time you’re dead and not just the first, like, 5 seconds (the time when it would normally make the camera follow your corpse as it falls).

It’s like this:

You die and see yourself fall through your characters eyes. Then when you go to spectate your camera is tilted in the same way as your characters head was when you died (so usually about roughly 90 degrees sideways). Navigating still works to some extent but you can’t look up or down (which would be left or right to your camera’s view). It stays until I respawn or until the map changes. Honestly mostly happens to me on duels after someone else wins 10 rounds and I die the last round, it’s when I do the most spectating after death.

It happens to me, but not nearly as often as the OP said it happened to him.

• Ok confirmed.

When you die with low ragdoll and begin spectating from there your camera stays at the angle your character lands when he dies. You can still move in the normal way while this occurs (though camera controls are not relative to the way your camera is facing, so up=right etc.), and clicking to spectate other guys does not re-orient the camera. Camera will go back to normal when you re-spawn.

Looks like attached image.

It does not happen when you have a higher ragdoll (I set mine to 66 to test).

OP: to avoid this happening it appears that when you die if you quickly click LMB to enter spectate mode your camera will be normal. It’s only after waiting until your death animation is over and spectating from there that this occurs.

This is why I only usually see it at the end of duel rounds as well- when you click on spectate from the duel menu everything is normal. Only during the last set of rounds would you enter spectate mode from the same way that you view other game modes.

I was able to recreate this 3 times just now, so it’s consistent for me at least.

• Alright, awesome. Well, not awesome because it’s a bug, but awesome to know exactly what’s wrong. Should be an easy fix.

• Thanks quigleyer for explaining! It’s exactly like that.