[MISC]The Decision Making Process

• Hi.
    Before I get into this, I would like to say that everything that follows is my personal perspective and none of it has been fully accepted or confirmed. I am in no way saying that this is the exact workings of players’ minds when playing this game, it is merely speculation and opinion.

Every player who has ever played this game (or any game for that matter) has had a decision making process: the way they identify, access, and react to a situation in-game. This process differs between all players, but what I’ve come to realize is that in order to be successful in this game, certain steps have to to be taken. In this post I go over what I perceive the best thought process to be, and that the subjects broached upon, if carried out exceptionally, make up the best Chivalry players.
    The decision making process in Chivalry is composed of 3 main parts that are carried out in a direct order of importance. The three categories are Calculation, Assessment, and Strategy.

Calculation- This is the basic foundation of any Chivalry player’s thought process. This section is based on the player’s knowledge of the statistics of the game. This includes each class’s speed, health, modifiers, resistances, and weaknesses, as well as the range, damage, speed, tracers (the path of the damage dealing portion of the swing) of the weapons, and the speed of the different sections of the swing (windup, release, recovery). Having even a basic knowledge of these things on the battlefield can easily change the outcome of a fight. But knowing when and how to use these calculations is essential.

Assessment- After knowing the statistics of the game, this section is all about knowing when to and when to not use the calculations, as well as knowing your options and base tactics in a fight. A good player knows discretion, and can make decisions based on what options they have available to them at that moment. Knowing what options you have is extremely important, and is the core of all gameplay. At the beginning of a fight, there are tons of options to choose from. Players access the options they have and choose the ones most beneficial to their goal (more on that later). There are several factors in battle that affect how many options you have. Some of the more major ones are health (at low health the option of hit trading is gone), stamina (at low stamina, a parry is fatal; you cannot feint, jump, or combo parry), the weapon you are using (whether you can interrupt their attack or alternately hit trade for a kill), and the number of enemies you face (affects things like offensive ability, the expense of stamina, etc.). In a situation there is almost always at least one thing you can do to stay alive or gain back the offensive; the main trick is identifying and carrying them out. You should also be paying attention to the options your opponent(s) have available as well, equally or more so than your own. This allows better judgement to be made so that you can really develop an isometric picture of the situation, and allows you to better predict and defeat your opponents.*

Strategy- Now that we have covered calculations and the assessment, now comes the final piece: strategy. After identifying the options you have at your disposal for every situation, now is the time to make a strategy, or a goal in the encounter. Ultimately an enemy will fall one way or another; it’s up to you to decide from the start, taking into consideration the personal cost (i.e. ending the fight with no stamina or no health), how they will die. Here the player can decide what path they want to take based on the options available: they can burn down the enemy’s stamina, they can feint, they can drag, they can bypass. Most of the time the goal is not that simple, for example a knight fighting a MAA. The knight knows that the MAA can out maneuver him, so he plans from the start to try and lure him in, to drain down the MAA’s stamina and hit trade. Different strategies can apply to different situations, and players need to choose them accordingly. Someone planning on, say, dragging with the messer has to take in consideration that he might have to switch down to his secondary to fight a maa.

That is my two cents on how good players think through a situation, and any feedback, comments, or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

*Edit(s) courtesy of: NoVaLombardia.

• Honestly, I thought I would be keyboard warrioring all over this post. After I read it I realised its pretty much spot on. Even though in the heat of the moment none of this seems to go through your head, I think it does instinctively. I really don’t have much to add to this. I reckon this would be a good pseudo-tutorial if you made it more directional.

• Pretty spot on, though I would have to add a thing.

You only talk about what options are available to you. You should also be determining, assessing, and basing strategy around what options they have as well.

Knowing what options that are currently available to them and dwindling the range of options they have is a good way to start to mindgame your opponents. Based on those options that they would decide is most favorable is a great way to trick your opponents.

TL:DR – Note what options you have available, but pay attention closely to their options as well. It may be a good idea to pay more attention to what your opponents options are currently more so than your own.

• @NoVaLombardia:

Note what options you have available, but pay attention closely to their options as well. It may be a good idea to pay more attention to what your opponents options are currently more so than your own.

Ah, definitely something I overlooked, thanks. I will be sure to edit that in and include a footnote.

• @Footbeard:

I reckon this would be a good pseudo-tutorial if you made it more directional.

I completely agree, and that might be the direction I will take with in the future, but for now it’s just a jumbled mess-rant that only outlines the ideas. Think of it as sort of a “beta” post. I’ll be going through making small edits based on what others think about it, as well as if I can improve upon it later after “getting it down on paper” and just forgetting about it for a while.