Revised Strike Hitboxes

• I feel Chivalries strikes lack a little bit too much realism leading to some issues that break immersion like the collision bubble (alternatively strikes that start inside your body), swift strikes dealing the same damage as powerful strikes and weapon handles being way to deadly. Yes, you can deal with all of them but the still influence the game to the negative. Instead of suggesting some small changes I decided to present a complete revised striking system based on some ideas already posted multiple times at various places.

The following suggestions are purposefully overdone and might not permit a practical implementation (be it because of performance, engine limitations, too much impact on balance or simply missing time). I would hope to see some of the ideas included in one way or the other (might be subject of a mod).

The collision bubble gets removed - player hitboxes match their model for all purposes (damage, collision etc…). The unparryable window after combo feints gets removed (kind of - see below). Both combo and panic parry stay in game (kind of - see below). Also mouse dragging against the direction of your strike is no longer possible (you can still drag in strike direction and vertically, including all combinations). Stabbing attacks got their windup increased (including the unfeintable window) but their release time reduced.

Weapon hitboxes:
    The damage hitbox of many weapons is split into two separate parts reflecting the part meant for hitting the enemy (blade, axe head etc.) and the rest of the weapon (handle etc.). Additionally the arms of the attacker get a hitbox themselves that reacts to obstacles and parries (to avoid unblockable strikes at very close distance). Each target is only affected by the first hitbox it encounters (so if you hit an enemy with your blade and then with your handle he will only receive damage from the blade and cannot parry the handle).

[attachment=0:2hp8mz8i]Different hitboxes on a Bardiche[/attachment:2hp8mz8i]

Blade/Head hitbox (red)
    This one is basically the damage hitbox we already got but at a reduced size. Weapons deal full damage of their assigned damage type here. The hitbox itself is inside the blade or head of the weapon and does not fully extend into the last tip. This way strikes won’t deal damage if they are only barely touch the enemy - the weapon has to get into the body in order to deal any damage. Only touching the armor is not sufficient.

Handle/Hilt hitbox (green)
    The second part of the damage hitbox. It works just as the blade/head hitbox the only difference being the reduced damage dealt by it. Hitting an enemy with this part of the weapon deals 40% of theattacks base damage in blunt damage.

Arms hitbox (blue)
    This hitbox covers the arms of the attacker. It does not deal any damage but if it hits an obstacle or parry the strike is interrupted (just like hitting an obstacle with your red/green hitbox). If hitting a parry it will count as obstacle for the attacker (he will lose stamina). The defender will not lose stamina but the parry will still end as if hit by an enemy strike.

Parries:
    Parrying stays unchanged - you still need to aim roughly at the tip of your enemies weapon (justified by lever mechanics). The only change is the interaction with the attackers arms mentioned above.

Shield Blocks:
    Shields hitboxes match their visual size but blocking attacks with the fringe costs additional stamina (of course blocking stamina costs are greatly reduced compared to live). Getting kicked while holding a shield up gets the defender dazed but negates the kicks damage.

Strikes

Windup
    Not many changes here. People in windup can get flinched cancelling their strikes by both attacks and kicks (not by getting hit by an arm hitbox as this does not deal any damage). You can feint during the first part (the 0.2s unfeintable window stays, 0.3s for stabs). Only difference: If your weapon hits (not only touches) an obstacle, a player model, a parry or a striking (=in release) weapon you will get flinched for a short period of time (~0.3s) cancelling the attack.

Early Release
    Weapons do not deal full damage when release starts. Instead they start at a certain percentage and strike damage increases during the first part of release. When parrying an attack during this phase the stamina cost will be reduced the same way (e.g. parrying a sword instantly after windup costs only 50% of the usual stamina). This depends on damage type:
    Cutting damage:

• starts at 50% of base damage
    • damage increases by 10% of base damage per 4% of the release time
    • maximum damage reached at 20% of the release time
      Chopping damage:
    • starts at 35% of base damage
    • damage increases by 10% (of base damage) per 4% release time
    • maximum damage at 26% release time
      Blunt damage:
    • starts at 20% of base damage
    • damage increases by 10% per 4% release time
    • maximum damage at 32% release time
      Spiked damage:
    • damage increases by 12.5% per per 4% release time
    • maximum damage at ~26% release time
      Piercing damage:
    • damage increases by 15% per per 4% release time
    • maximum damage at ~21% release time

Mid Release
    Thats the part of release the weapon is dealing its full damage. It works just like the release time on life but ends at 85% of the overall release time.

Late Release
    Over the last 15% of release the damage decreases gradually until it reaches 20% at the end (does not depend on damage type). Similar to early release parrying an attack during this phase costs reduced stamina.

Unparryable Window
    After each finished release (it does not matter if followed by a combo or recovery phase) there is a 0.3s long window where the player is unable to parry (be it combo parry, feint to parry or panic parry). Combo parries will trigger right after this period.

Combo Windup
    Starting a combo costs stamina and is impossible when hit during release. Also it uses a different timer (just like in live). Other than this combo windup works just like standard windup.

Recovery
    No changes to recovery aside from the unparryable window (no panic parry during the first 0.3s of recovery). People who read this line have my respect.

Riposte
    Riposting costs 5 stamina. Ripostes cannot be feinted and have a faster windup (just like in live). Other than this riposte windup works just like standard windup.

The idea behind this to create a more natural melee experience and further separating weapon types (especially swords and polearms but also axes and blunt weapons) while also putting more weight on the length of a weapon (long weapons are more handicapped at close quarters). This might also lead to a greater array of viable weapon choices.

• You do realise that you have made the game a fight to who runs out of stamina first.

If there was no stamina the only way to kill the enemy is to try and convince them to push F10.

• Ultimately seems far too complicated. Chivalry isn’t the kind of game I’d like to see this sort of thing in and the devs, I imagine, want to keep it simple so as not push away new players to the game.

• The thing that would make this a little too odd is the hit boxes. So a polearm user would need to always keep the right distance to do full dmg, that seem a little unfair when someone with sword has full dmg with less effort. I am a sword user myself so I am not defending polearms cause I use them.
    I do though agree that they need to make some changes, removing hitboxes from handless at least.

• Problem is having two different damage types on different places on a weapon could lead to double hits.

Though that’s really the only idea I agree with.

• I don’t like these suggestions. They make the mechanics of the game bloated and much more confusing.

They would also cause issue with latency, one of the two players wouldn’t notice damage that matches the animation in many circumstances.

Two different damage hitboxes has issues as well and is unrealistically represented. If someone is swinging a bardiche irl at someone at facehugging range and wants to slash them with the blade, they aren’t going to swing with their arms fully extended, holding the very end of the hilt. But in a videogame it’s okay if it’s represented like that in the animation.
    -If your going to add two damage boxes, then allow players the ability to adjust their hand placement on the weapon hilts and realistic control over how they swing their weapons. However, adding a system like this would just be clunky and unnecessarily complicated. My point is, don’t implement multiple damage hitboxes in the first place.

• @dpunk:

I don’t like these suggestions. They make the mechanics of the game bloated and much more confusing.

They would also cause issue with latency, one of the two players wouldn’t notice damage that matches the animation in many circumstances.

Two different damage hitboxes has issues as well and is unrealistically represented. If someone is swinging a bardiche irl at someone at facehugging range and wants to slash them with the blade, they aren’t going to swing with their arms fully extended, holding the very end of the hilt. But in a videogame it’s okay if it’s represented like that in the animation.
    -If your going to add two damage boxes, then allow players the ability to adjust their hand placement on the weapon hilts and realistic control over how they swing their weapons. However, adding a system like this would just be clunky and unnecessarily complicated. My point is, don’t implement multiple damage hitboxes in the first place.

I know of only one game that does that.

Overgrowth. Its still in alpha after 5 years of development and it had a prequels to it which techincally makes it 10 years of development.

And the combat is LMB mashing and it has passive parrying.