Colorblind friend having issues since customizaton – ideas?

• Good Evening!

A friend of mine who plays on my server and suffers from color blindness has been having very serious issues playing the game since the customization update. The game has really become unplayable for him and it’s a shame because he was truly enjoying it prior to the update.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help him out? I know customization cannot be turned off, but is there an option for him to display his teammate (not just Steam friends) names above the other players? If not, I really do hope Torn Banner takes this into consideration for the next major update.

Thank you for any suggestions you might have!

• There is already an overlay available to him. When you put your crosshair over another player it will turn red if it is an enemy. Tell your friend that it is unfortunate that he is having trouble with colors but explain to him there are many and more ways to identify players regardless of their colors.

It will take more practice for him but looking at the armors, helmets, listening to the voiceovers, where the enemy is positioned, if they are actively trying to kill him, and if they are actively not trying to kill him will be ample enough visual feedback to make up for his colorblindness. Having this disability sucks for him I’m sure and I can guarantee his problem has permeated into many aspects of video games in general before. He probably already possesses quite a bit of experience using his brain in other ways than color identification so the above mentioned aspects may come quite easily to him.

If he is playing with people on his Steam friends list then, whilst in game, they will show up with their name above their heads at all times. Tell him to play with as many of his friends as often and as possible as he can circumvent a lot of the other methods. Though, by doing so he may slow his progress in identifying people not based on their color.

• Just reduce some quality of the game. No ambiant light and stuff like that. So the outfit colors will be easy to detect. You won’t take a dark blue for a black etc.

• I to, suffer from colorblindness, and it sucked the first couple of weeks after the update, but you eventually gets used to it. Like the second dude said, you just ought to figure out who you’re facing, no big deal, but sometimes a friendly fire happens, nothing that a “sorry for that” won’t fix.

• I am colorblind as well. For the most part, you can generally tell just by the colors. However if not, I always take a glance at their helmet, which should tell you what team they are on. Unfortunately, the vanguard helmets are relatively similar, so that is the only one that might present problems.

• Wasn’t there an ingame command for colorblind people?

• @afiNity:

Wasn’t there an ingame command for colorblind people?

That command is for making an illusion of colorblindness (for testing purpose)

• @rumpelstiltskin:

@afiNity:

Wasn’t there an ingame command for colorblind people?

That command is for making an illusion of colorblindness (for testing purpose)

‘colorblindsim’ is the console command (in case people want to have a play :))

• The problem with a fix would be that everyone could use it and maybe could get an advantage from it (not sure how the colors would like for a colorblind-friendly mode).
    Best solution would be adding a command to disable customiation.

• @afiNity:

The problem with a fix would be that everyone could use it and maybe could get an advantage from it (not sure how the colors would like for a colorblind-friendly mode).
    Best solution would be adding a command to disable customiation.

+1

That’d also help with those having performance issues or those who aren’t colourblind who still can’t differentiate the new colour schemes (I have to admin in some shadowed areas, I’ve occasionally had difficulty with the dark blues/dark reds)

• Have you tried to actually change the contrast of your graphics card or monitor? I think even Windows has a high contrast option across the board.

• Why not just make ‘colour blind mode’ which overrides customisation and replaces mason characters with the thin diagonal stripes and gives argonites the fat quadrant pattern.
    easy fix.

• A thing that should almost always work is to get used to the shapes of different classes. Anyone who wears a helmet is distinguishable. Knights and Archers can be told by their outfits. Anyone who is blue or has white as a major color is Agatha. Anyone who has black (not dark blue) as a major color is Mason.

Everyone else who is red/green (here we got the problem) should be considered an enemy at first just like bloody or burned ones (for purposes of self defense). Aim at them an read their name if you have time to do so. Also body language will tell enemies - allies are more relaxed and usually do not bother much about you being there.

Also the guy yelling “FOR THE ORDAAAA!” is probably not an Agatha Knight (Mason voices are also deeper).

• I was playing recently and this rank 2 archer came in. He was shifting us all the time. Didn’t matter what colour we were. You were immune only if you were white and he was on agatha. All the other colours including good and brown he would shoot you.

After 4 games (and several votekicks against him) he eventually got used to hit . He wasn’t even shifting freindly helmet less vanguards. Some guy who hates archers came alaong and tried kicking him for being archer and his team damage that time was 17%. That’s below what you would expect for a normal newb archer.

What way they are facing and who is fighting who also helps. Also noticing the fact that no one else on your team is attacking the guy is a hint.

Now I’m red green colourblind. And I have no disadvantages. The only green is the trim colour. And when you see mostly blue white or good they are agatha. A bloody agathains I’d imagine would still look red colour blind or not.

All my colourblindness does is make the masons fucking ninjas on maps like moor and some parts of stoneshill and battlegrounds. Though in lucky to not be 100% red green. There’s is a small difference in colour. Just dark red on dark green look pretty much the same. I have to inspect them closely for some time.