My personal thoughts on game balance

• I haven’t played this game much lately. To be honest, I think the game is broken in it’s current state, and the recent major balancing patch is what really broke it. The reason I’m here is because I would really like to be able to enjoy this game once again, and here is what I think could really help better the game as a whole. Remember, this is what I personally believe would benefit the game and I may be wrong.

This is what really needs to happen:

1. Panic Parry. Just get it out of here. I am a strong believer that footwork and movement should be more important than a mechanical device such as panic parry. If you miss a swing, you should be open to a counter attack. As for combo feint to parry, I don’t care that much. It could make a return or just be removed as well.

2. Bug Fixes and overall polish. This game is far from finished. An expansion is one of the last thing the game needs when it can barely be called a full game on its own. Ghost and Phantom swings, desync, hitbox irregularities, inconsistencies in general. Everything that is downright unintended and really just should be fixed hands down.

3. Rebalancing of weapons. Currently, each class has about 2-5 weapons across the board that are viable options for them. Everything else is just outright worse, with maybe one strong attribute that would draw people in but in the end falls short.

Some more “experimental” mechanics that I would like to see implemented but since they are just so out there they may not be possible.

1. “Sweet Spots” in weapon swings. To deal a good amount of damage, you need to hit the enemy in the very apex of the swing, otherwise the hit will be nerfed. This would put a damper on lookdown overheads and crazy drags that hit you at the very end of the animation. It would only really work if recovery parry was removed or else there would really be no way to deal full damage.

2. Feints. Either a feinted attack has a unique animation that would allow for an easier recognition of the legitimacy of a swing or an attack following a feint will have a considerable damage reduction so that although you deal less you could feint to get past someone playing defensively.

3. Better Hitboxes for weapons. I kinda covered this in bug fixes but long weapons do not have a tradeoff. Really you should have to keep enemies far away in order to use the weapon effectively or else your bardiche has turned into a long, heavy stick. With the sweet spot system, if you stabbed someone point blank with a greatsword you would do less damage because you hit them in the very beginning of a swing. Blunt damage would be done by the hafts of weapons so that if someone got in your face you could still fend for yourself.

Anyways, that’s all I could come up with in my hazy half a sleep state. I’m going to go to bed now, let me know what you guys think about the proposed changes and I’ll try and get back to you as soon as I can.

• I like a lot of the ideas, and I completely agree with you that this expansion is ridiculous and they should just be focusing polishing the game right now. The only two things I disagree with you on are your opinions on feints and weapon dragging. Currently feints and weapon dragging (WD’ing) are the only two ways to get past a block or a parry, besides praying that the enemy simply misses their parry. WD’ing I believe is completely fair and a really cool mechanic that adds another deep layer of gameplay. Yeah they’re REALLY gay sometimes :? cough Maul cough Zweihander, but you can always counter with WD’ing of your own, footwork, or feints. I think reducing the damage based on where on the weapon you hit your enemy is a good idea on paper, but think about how much slower some fights would go. Knight’s health would give an even BIGGER advantage, and MaA could even survive some ridiculous hits.

Now about your idea on feints, I had the exact same idea a while ago but realized just how much it would nerf feints. The different animation would likely be extremely easy to read, and the reduced damage would also extend fights for too long. Plus feints are pretty easy to read on most weapons now, even the fastest ones like the daggers by listening for the grunt they make at the end of their windup. The ONLY weapons I think feints are unfair on right now are the Vanguard’s spears. I made a post about those in Balance and Game Mechanics if you want to check them out.

• Yeah, the some of the fixes I proposed only really work if panic parry is removed. If you could punish missed swings there would be no need for dragging and feints to land a hit since the enemy can’t parry. Feints can be read pretty easily on most weapons but some the animations are so wonk and the window is so large. I think a large problem with the game comes down to the bugs, like sometimes enemies will grunt and feint, which shouldn’t happen but it does.

• @Pringle:

Yeah, the some of the fixes I proposed only really work if panic parry is removed. If you could punish missed swings there would be no need for dragging and feints to land a hit since the enemy can’t parry. Feints can be read pretty easily on most weapons but some the animations are so wonk and the window is so large. I think a large problem with the game comes down to the bugs, like sometimes enemies will grunt and feint, which shouldn’t happen but it does.

This would mean that the real problem is the wonky animations and bugged grunts. Feints were already nerfed in the patch 2 months ago and are now fairly easy to read. You can either play aggressively (and nearly avoid having to read feints altogether) or crouch and lean back when you’re on defense giving you more time to read the swing.

• I’ve never had that bug where they grunt but feint. Guess I’m lucky :D . But yeah the animations are pretty wonky on some weapons.