Weird Interactions - Rule or Bug?

• Hey there folks,

I know this might sound pretty noobish and whatnot, but I kinda feel it’s necessary to discuss this.

I know there is a f*ckton of stuff I still didn’t master in this game, stuff that would greatly improve my gameplay and make me a better player, or not.

During my 90ish hours of gameplay I’ve seen people who are almost unkillable, really, they’re beasts in human characters and I think I realized what most of them do.

And therefore comes my question: Is this game supposed to be like The Duel?
    For those who don’t know, The Duel or GunZ was/is a good game thanks to it’s glitchy gameplay.

I’m not even sure if we’re allowed to talk about this kind of stuff, but here it goes.

I’ve seen stuff like people counter-attaking (after a parry for example) without triggering the standard animation, their sprites would just shake lightly, but the attack would land normally.
    I’ve seen people bowing in huge arcs, attacking backwards and upwards and still hitting throw a parry or shieldblock.

I’ll leave it at that, but there are a couple more of stuff that somewhat throws me on the ground when playing. I mean, I don’t think that such a “realistic” aim Chivalry tries to have would allow this kind of metaplay, or I might just be totally wrong and shutthef*ckup and learn to do these tricks… I say nay to that, for I don’t see much fun in those strategies…

Well… I dunno, really, feel free to say anything you find fitting.

Cheers.

• Before the mob gets you-

Real time swings are considered a feature of Chivalry. The ability to speed up, slow down, and otherwise alter your swing while playing is something the developers have dubbed as intended. While it might look a little funny it actually adds quite a bit of depth to the game, and once you get good at it high level duels can be a real blast. This is true also, I believe, of “trick swings”- such as lean back overheads, double-hit lean back overheads, 180 degree LMBs, etc. etc.

If you’re newer to this game (90 hours is pretty new to a lot of us) please realize that when you see a level 40-50 you’re looking at a guy with roughly 500-1000 gameplay hours (barring the rank glitch) and that these guys have practiced this game and these mechanics a lot over time.

Some of the things you’re describing- I can’t tell exactly what they are. Generally when people say “hitting through shields” they have either lowered their shield too early for a drag (delayed) swing and it hits them last minute, or it’s going around the shield and the player has a hard time seeing in first person view (you must aim your shield towards their weapon tip, just like a parry). There are, however, some supposed bugs where shields are passed through, etc.

“I’ve seen stuff like people counter-attaking (after a parry for example) without triggering the standard animation, their sprites would just shake lightly, but the attack would land normally.”

There are bugs where a feint looks to be performed, but a real swing happens- is that what you’re talking about? I don’t think you can do it parry/riposting, though. Any time you see the attacker and don’t see a swing and you’re hit it’s probably some sort of bug. I’m not sure what you mean by “shake lightly”.

• There are bugs where a feint looks to be performed, but a real swing happens

That must be it then, but is it easy to perform? I tend to face this trick many times.
    What I meant by “shaky” would be like:

The chracter doesn’t move, only the arms move lightly not showing from each direction the attack will come, and blam, you’re hit. As far as I noticed this happens only when it’s an overhead.

I’m not too sure myself about what I’m talking about, easily noticeble, but the player indulges animations that are not common.

The one you mentioned, the drag, would that be when you throw your aim upwards in order to delay the overhead strike? I heard about it, tried, but I seem to fail at it, and when I face it, the animation looks exactly like a normal overhead, resulting in a fail parry attempt. I dunno man, maybe I have to join a clan and learn some of these tactics.

• Well a clan membership is definitely not required :). I see plenty of sick guys outside of clans.

Just like anything skill based if you practice with it you’ll get it. PLease understand that 90 hours is not a lot in the eyes of some of the hardcore veterans on here, while it might actually be a lot to “normal” people.

Yesterday I had a guy perform a normal swing, followed by a delayed drag swing, followed by an accelerated look-down overhead swing. While the first two aren’t easily read, the third swing was very easy to see coming as his shoulders came forward. The other two swings were him trying to get my guard down with a normal swing, and then go around my parry with a delayed drag hoping I would parry early. Try not to parry too early when you see a swing coming (also good feint defense). The accelerated overhead was him trying to take advantage of me parrying late in defense of his drags, but it’s readable as long as it’s not a bardiche or bearded axe.

Honestly a good portion of this game is mental, as you have to try and calculate what your opponent is doing. You can better guess at his strategies the more you play and learn about these things.

I’m not actually sure how easy it is to desync a feint animation. Honestly everyone who has done it to me has done it on accident (I tend to ask if they saw it too). Most people say it’s a normal swing, so you’re likely just seeing a game bug in it’s most frustrating form, rather than a guy intentionally cheating.

• f10 for the counter attack. alt+f4 does the backwards and upwards attack.

riposte should be in the totorial btw, and reverse overhead probably shouldn’t hit reversed.

• @Deadpan:

f10 for the counter attack. alt+f4 does the backwards and upwards attack.

riposte should be in the totorial btw, and reverse overhead probably shouldn’t hit reversed.

Har Har

• I remember when i began playing chivalry one of the first servers i joined was Io duel server, where King killed me with a jumping round house kick, followed by some other wierd stuff. A lot of this stuff, like back overhead, turning around 3 times whiles jumping and stabbing, matrix overhead, whore bending etc is almost useless, all it gives you is a very slight advantage that works out in very specific conditions. Eg. back overhead only will work if the enemy is motionless, waiting to block, because its range is so short, you cant drag it to follow enemy cuz you look the other way, and you get a very small adv of release times compared to acceled downlooking overhead. Yet if it get blocked, you end in a very compromising position :D. Same with other wicked attacks. What they give you if you master it is mainly confusing the opponent if he is not used to them, which makes them fail to concentrate on telling your feints and punishing your mistakes, while doing more of their own, but if you ignore all this circus the fight will be still decided on blocking ability and being calm (smoke weed ftw :D). Considering fast counter attacks, they all begin with animation different to normal attacks (kinda skipping frames) so you can tell it if you concentrate (have to be calm not to panic block his siezures), also keep moving cuz fast attacks cant be dragged on moving target + he usually cant see you well. Keeping preasure with your own quick strikes + making opportunistic attacks help making your enemy think twice before turning his back on you.
    Overall try to get into mentallity that when the starts twisting his body and turning around, running, spinning and what not - hes a circus clown, let him do his show while keeping distance, then block and feint him him or attack if you are sure of your range. Dont be like ammagad his gonna round house kick me while bending his demon body i have to stand and spam block cuz hes neo from matrix. The fucking dude is dude is looking into ground or in the sky or on the mountain behind him, surely you can abuse that ))

• This guy ^… I nearly lost it.
    I see what you’re saying and, after playing some more, I noticed one of these guys only plays on 3rd person view servers (probably makes it easier to him to perform his tricks). I think I can agree with 90% of what you said, the main part of this trick is to throw the opponent out of concentration.

Even though it works for them, I think keeping calm and moving is the key to counter it. I’ll have that in mind.

• @Frostgore:

This guy ^… I nearly lost it.
    I see what you’re saying and, after playing some more, I noticed one of these guys only plays on 3rd person view servers (probably makes it easier to him to perform his tricks). I think I can agree with 90% of what you said, the main part of this trick is to throw the opponent out of concentration.

Even though it works for them, I think keeping calm and moving is the key to counter it. I’ll have that in mind.

Also, as some starting out advice, LEARN TO PARRY WELL. Go into a FFA match, run around and just parry attacks. See how long you can stay alive. Try to parry as late as you can (it will risk getting hit a couple times in the beginning, but you’ll learn the weapon timings). It doesn’t really matter what moves your enemy makes, as long as you know ho to parry it.