Customizations are not saved online

• I spent quite some time customizing each of my soldiers and finally reached a point where I was really satisfied with the result. Now, I had to change computers and re-format my old one. Having changed PC, I started up Chivalry and noticed that all my customizations made to each character are now gone. So please tell me, why is such a feature implemented without also providing servers that store this customization information?

To those saying “Why didn’t you make a backup of the settings?”:

Sorry for expecting things like that to be saved by a server…

• Cloud syncing as with many steam games like L4D, would be a good feature to have, it was never included in the original game since there was no point: there were originally no customisations.

However now that customisations have added it would be nice to see the settings syncing

As to your previous settings, if you have access to the old PC you can copy the /my documents/my games/chivalry folder and that should have your old ini’s and customisations. It’s also pretty small to copy.

• @MonkeyFiend:

Cloud syncing as with many steam games like L4D, would be a good feature to have, it was never included in the original game since there was no point: there were originally no customisations.

However now that customisations have added it would be nice to see the settings syncing

As to your previous settings, if you have access to the old PC you can copy the /my documents/my games/chivalry folder and that should have your old ini’s and customisations. It’s also pretty small to copy.

Thanks, hopefully I’ll be able to get them back but still… saving customizations in files located on a local drive isn’t really the way to go.

• i memorise them. i bet i can reproduce all my custom loudouts in seconds.

• @Deadpan:

i memorise them. i bet i can reproduce all my custom loudouts in seconds.

Me as well, there really aren’t that many options of each category. If you can remember what sigil you had you can probably re-make your guys in a matter of minutes.

Though I do agree Steam cloud sync could tighten it up more, I shudder to think about the repercussions of adding such a feature.

• If you can’t remember your colors you are not worthy of wearing them.

Saving customizations online would cost loads of loads of memory. I would rather spent the money on server quality and things that make more sense to be saved online. Saving customizations offline is the way to go - it also makes you able to change your appearance without needing an internet connection.

• @Evil:

If you can’t remember your colors you are not worthy of wearing them.

Saving customizations online would cost loads of loads of memory. I would rather spent the money on server quality and things that make more sense to be saved online. Saving customizations offline is the way to go - it also makes you able to change your appearance without needing an internet connection.

Actually, no. It’s not being able to remember them, but rather not feeling like doing them each time I re-format my disk. Also, this wouldn’t really cost a lot of memory; all customizations options are already included in the game’s files and only the .ini file containing the parameters which customizations are used by one player would’ve had to be saved.
    That ini file is no larger than 20KB and there are currently about 3k - 4k thousands playing CMW. 20 * 4000 = 80000KB and that are about 80MB for 4000 players. Today’s servers have up to 10TB disk space, if not even more. Also, they wouldn’t have to set up their own servers. Steam offers their own Cloud Service and renting 1MB space for each user wouldn’t really cost much.
    I’m not sure whether we’re talking about the same mechanism. Customization would still work offline and the only new thing that would occur when having a server save them would be a synchronization next time you launch C:MW with a internet connection. Many, if not even tons of games, work that way. Saving locally, then sending it to a server.