Spear overhead tracer

• Has anyone noticed that the damage doesn’t start until the VERY end of the release? So the whole first part of your attack isn’t hitting anything, further creating time for you to get flinched/traded. It’s almost like what SHOULD be implemented on polearms and such, but it’s on the spear. Only really noticed when i turned on the tracers for it because i was wondering why i couldn’t drag my regular pokes, then i noticed it for the overhead poke.

Unfortunate that the slashes are still practically the only good flincher now. Overheads used to be my main flincher. This comes from a spear lover.

• A fair number of the pole arm stabs are broken in this way though. You go to stab and you see the weapon tip moving forward and through your target, but you score no hit and instead you get flinched by a carving knife. :?

• well now i know why, check it out, during the release you’ll see blue and green tracer till the last point where it will finally go red damaging tracer… sucks for spear because ya used to be able to drag the pokes very nicely… now even the dragged stabs just kind of go through your opponent, but they have no damaging tracer. Probably a good change for the brandistock although i don’t seem to have that issue there, maybe because of the 3 spikes on the end vs. the one… but the spears dragability on the pokes just isn’t what it used to be… which is quite a shame for a weapon that cannot combo, it needs something besides just doing a feint per attack.

• What would be great is if those blue tracers, or all tracers before the damaging tracers, still could make a collision and cause the attack to return to resting state rather then completing its swing.

This would give the wielder a visual queue that he has made a bad attack and would actually also save him the time of completing a fruitless attack.

Not only that but it would make the game play look MUCH BETTER as opposed to weapons phasing through targets because the dam,aging part of the weapon has missed.

TB could do a lot with this and potentially work in some kind of mechanic for shield collisions when shields aren’t in the block position, for example.

• Pole arms and knight pole weapon stabs are just crazy right now. Mainly talking about Knight’s Pole Axe. More than half the time, I never block stabs from that weapon because I don’t even see them coming.

• honestly I’m experiencing an almost entirely opposite issue with the overheads spontaneously hitting with little to no apparent windup. I’m not sure how this is happening but may be similar to other tracer issues where if the models are close the weapon is placed within the hit-box resulting in a seemingly instant hit. However it could well be that both apparently contradictory issues are in fact occurring depending on the situation.

• I can’t drag any weapon anymore. :?

• okay, i’m talking about SPEARS… SPEARS people, not polearms okay? polearms are COMPLETELY different than SPEARS.

event, the polearms are pretty crazy right now, and good poleaxe, i can’t block to save my life, i swear they go through parries. I know their timings, i aim correctly, it goes through my parries… same with bearded axe, which i’ve mentioned before.

But this is with the spear tracer… it goes forward for a release but doesn’t do damage until the very end, unlike most otther attacks with any other weapon. This would be a welcomed change to polearms, but spears… no.

• event, the polearms are pretty crazy right now, and good poleaxe, i can’t block to save my life, i swear they go through parries. I know their timings, i aim correctly, it goes through my parries… same with bearded axe, which i’ve mentioned before.

But this is with the spear tracer… it goes forward for a release but doesn’t do damage until the very end, unlike most otther attacks with any other weapon. This would be a welcomed change to polearms, but spears… no.

I disagree with everything here. No, those weapons don’t go through parries and no, that doesn’t happen to me with spears.

• Huh, this kind of explains this weird problem I’ve been having with spears where I’m blocking properly as the thing ‘releases’ and moves into me, but the damage seems to happen .3ms later or so after my block has ended.

It first I thought someone had managed to figure out how to Zweihander drag with a spear stab…

• The overhead stab on the spears is more dragable than the regular[wheel up] stab. But the regular stab does attack slightly to the right of your model, so you can sometimes get people off your screen on the right side early in the swing.

• when i say overhead stab, i mean the one that actually goes overhead… not the one that is on the typical overhead control. I’m talking about the one that the character lifts the spear up over his head, and pokes downward at his victim. That is what i mean by overhead, idk why people always associate overhead with the thrust… spears do not overhead on the normal overhead control.

and jstorm… maybe they don’t actually go THROUGH parries, i get that they don’t… i have like shit all hours in this game, maybe more than you. But you know what… the axe weapons and polearms are pretty broken right now. trying to act liek they aren’t… that’s just silly imo. I’ve played for 1675 hours now… and in all that time i know how to properly parry regular and dragged and moving overhead attacks… they don’t parry correctly. Latency or whatever perhaps… but my parries have not registered several times against simple to block overheads, and plenty of vanguard weapons and just weapons in general. If it’s latency that’s causing all this, well… then every damn server i go into is pretty fucking latent, and maybe that should be addressed so that every time i join a game, i don’t know if i should parry on time or a second early… timing is very important in this game, and if you can’t time anything properly according to animations… what the fuck!?

• This shit is really misleading. I play the brandistock since release and still get confused when someone talks about “overheads”.
    I agree that something is weird with this attack, I hope it’s getting fixed…

• i know they changed the windup times, but that shouldn’t really affect the tracer i wouldn’t think. The windup def changed which i had to adjust to… because i’m used to being able to release sooner than you can now, the spear i don’t really think needed to be nerfed this way, perhaps the brandi but to be honest… making the windup longer just makes the weapons more deceiving. It’s like they hold the damn thing back FOREVER before it actually releases.

but anyway yeah, i think something is weird with the over the head poke tracer.

The thrust… well ya can’t drag them as well, but the tracer at least seems normal… must be a shorter release or something than originally, i don’t know.

• and jstorm… maybe they don’t actually go THROUGH parries, i get that they don’t… i have like shit all hours in this game, maybe more than you. But you know what… the axe weapons and polearms are pretty broken right now. trying to act liek they aren’t… that’s just silly imo. I’ve played for 1675 hours now… and in all that time i know how to properly parry regular and dragged and moving overhead attacks… they don’t parry correctly. Latency or whatever perhaps… but my parries have not registered several times against simple to block overheads, and plenty of vanguard weapons and just weapons in general. If it’s latency that’s causing all this, well… then every damn server i go into is pretty fucking latent, and maybe that should be addressed so that every time i join a game, i don’t know if i should parry on time or a second early… timing is very important in this game, and if you can’t time anything properly according to animations… what the fuck!?

No.

Also, hours mean nothing after about 500 imo.

• i learned plenty more after 500, i would agree that they mean nothing now. After about 100 hours in the game now you can be totally pro.

And i disagree with your “no”… and i counter with “yes”.

and… BOOMGOESTHEDYNAMITE!

so basically by your no you’re disagreeing with the FACT that latent servers cause a shit ton of missed parries? you’re disagreeing that you typically have to parry much earlier than the animations show / faster than you would if both parties had good ping on a stable server? And you’re saying that all animations correctly portray where and when to parry?

you’re nuts man.

• @clayton-bigsby:

i learned plenty more after 500, i would agree that they mean nothing now. After about 100 hours in the game now you can be totally pro.

And i disagree with your “no”… and i clunter with “yes”.

Everyone learns at different rates. Up to 250 hours I sucked then about that time it alllll hit me and here I am.

so basically by your no you’re disagreeing with the FACT that latent servers cause a shit ton of missed parries?

This happens, though, infrequently. For me at least.

you’re disagreeing that you typically have to parry much earlier than the animations show / faster than you would if both parties had good ping on a stable server? And you’re saying that all animations correctly portray where and when to parry?

For two handers, yes.

• do we really need 2 nova’s on the forums, storm?

so the bearded axe is a 2hander… i don’t think it portrays accurately where to parry half the time.

• @clayton-bigsby:

i know they changed the windup times, but that shouldn’t really affect the tracer i wouldn’t think. The windup def changed which i had to adjust to… because i’m used to being able to release sooner than you can now, the spear i don’t really think needed to be nerfed this way, perhaps the brandi but to be honest… making the windup longer just makes the weapons more deceiving. It’s like they hold the damn thing back FOREVER before it actually releases.

but anyway yeah, i think something is weird with the over the head poke tracer.

The thrust… well ya can’t drag them as well, but the tracer at least seems normal… must be a shorter release or something than originally, i don’t know.

Spear stabs were actually sped up. The thrusts weren’t touched except some slightly faster recoveries and a slightly longer windup for the Spear-spear.

I don’t know of any anomalies with tracers.

• well looking at the tracer for the overhead poke (mwheelup)

for me for most of the thrust i’d see blue and green tracers for the parryable area for the at least the first half of the strike or maybe even as much as 3/4 of the strike. The attack (red) tracer doesn’t show until the last half or 3/4 of the release. All other weapons start as soon as the release starts afaik… so this seems a bit odd. I’m wondering why during my release i get flinched or whatnot… and it seems that the tracer doesn’t start doing damage until the end.

This could be a bug, i’ve seen and reported on getting flinched during release… there could be a lot of times where the reason is that your attack doesn’t do damage throughout the release as it should. I’d have to test and observe this a bit more…

def seems odd to me because i love the spear, have used it a long time and still like to use it from time to time… and both the slash/overhead are good at flinching or hitting faster when you need to, but the overhead for some reason is not hitting when it should (to me, it seems)