Pole hammer vs Halberd utility

• Hi guys.

I had a quite long break, I stopped playing when the halberd was OP :) Steam was downloading a lot of data every now and then and I’m sure the weapon balance has been reworked several times when I was gone.

Now, I briefly compared some numbers here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ami8d_HZmYHsdDRzc1Byb3ItVWNXSFR1SURHN29TZnc#gid=120 and started to wonder what does the halberd have over the Pole hammer - apart of reach, which isn’t that much better anyway, tried both in game, switching back and forth.

Speed is more or less similar, depends on the attack. But pole hammer actually has a strong slash, unlike the halberd. Overhead and stab are again quite similar dmg wise.

I might have overlooked something but it seems to me that the pole hammer is overall a better choice over a halberd. If I’m wrong, please correct me.

• The halberd is far better against the lighter classes. Even abasing another vanqgurd with a stab overhead combo.

• Think of halberd like a Brandistock that can combo. It also stabs from the left side, and is a very good compliment to a spear because of that (since spears stab from the right).

Pole-arms are a good compliment to any weapon that stabs from the right side, tbh.

Pole-hammer is a knight counter, for the most part.

• Since the original halberd nerf it is and has been pretty useless. It is slow, doesn’t really 1 hit anything with any consistency and it takes 3-4 hits to take out a knight, 2 if your are really lucky. With the look down nerf it is even less effective. That is why only a few of the upper level guys play it, like myself. I am just a halberd loyalist. I kept playing it even in AOC when it was the absolute worst weapon in the game but because so few played it most didnt know how to defend against it. Hell even I struggle against another halberd because I rarely see one. It would be nice to see a very slight buff in the damage if they are going to keep the ALT swings as shitty as they are since the timing is all off with the 1 sec delay between button press and animation…. horrible way to fix the alt swings…

But with the bubble I find that pole hammer is even hard to land actual hits. but that is just me.

• I like using the halberd sometimes, mainly because of it’s reach. But I do often feel its damage seems low, probably about the same as a broadsword.

Back on topic though. I think it’s better to compare the Pole Hammer with weapons it’s more similar too than the Halberd. Sure the animations are similar and the speed is similar, but in practice they function quite differently, mainly because of the range.

Personally I find the Pole Hammer is more comparable to the Billhook or the Greatsword.

Pole Hammer has similar range as Billhook and many of your opening will be similar to Billhook. It doesn’t combo as fast and it does more damage to knights. In general the Billhook does better against the lighter classes and Pole hammer does better against knights, when I use them at least.

Its range is probably closer to the Claymore than the Greatsword, but I find it’s comparable to the Greatsword because often, once again in the opening, your going to start your attacks at about the same range with these two weapons. This is because the Pole Hammer happens to have just the right amount of reduced ranged and increased windup to be comparable to the Greatsword in this regard. Once again, similar to the Billhook, the Greatsword is going to do better against the lighter classes. Although overall, the Greatsword is a more versatile weapon.

Anyways, that’s my 2 cents. I know I don’t have as much experience as some other players, but I do mostly play vanguard. And I’ve used all their weapons. Just to give you an idea of where my opinion is coming from.

• Honestly out of my opinion, there is a fair balance between all the four Polearms, though as for Halberd Versus. Pole Hammer is going to be a quite interesting one.

Clearly the Halberd has a huge advantage when it comes to having higher max range on its attack than the Pole hammer. It is also known to be the weapon with most reach that is combo-able, often refered to as the “Combo-able” spear since the Halberd is very often used with a stab to overhead combination, yet the Pole hammer has the gold opportunity to two-hit to kill Knights and Archers to the head which makes it interesting, got a decent stab to back itself up with but its noticably very slow.

• I usually use greatsword, but lately Ive been gettin into thr halberd. It can actually be pretty unpredictible for people, in my experience, especially combined with my footwork. Ive been wrecking with it.

• still hits to early though.

• @dpunk:

But I do often feel its damage seems low, probably about the same as a broadsword.

Are you high?

• Pole hammer 2-shots van

• @Sir_Henric:

Pole hammer 2-shots van

And halberd doesn’t?

• @Jstorm:

@Sir_Henric:

Pole hammer 2-shots van

And halberd doesn’t?

Halberd doesn’t two shot LMB a vanguard. Unless ones a headshot. Anything with an LMB aganinst a vanguard will mean you won’t get a kill.

• @lemonater47:

@Jstorm:

@Sir_Henric:

Pole hammer 2-shots van

And halberd doesn’t?

Halberd doesn’t two shot LMB a vanguard. Unless ones a headshot. Anything with an LMB aganinst a vanguard will mean you won’t get a kill.

Who in their right mind would ever consider LMBs with pole-arms above a 0.1% usage?

Horizontals are mainly used as AOE and against side-dodging MAA, otherwise stabs and overheads only on almost every weapon.

Halberd is also capable of 2-shotting a knight.

• @lemonater47:

@Jstorm:

@Sir_Henric:

Pole hammer 2-shots van

And halberd doesn’t?

LMB is so 2011.

Ok, thanks guys, some very good opinions here. I did some more testing and came to the conclusion that the pole hammer is more newb friendly but the halberd is deadlier in the hands of more experienced player. Halberd is my weapon of choice.

It seems that numbers aren’t everything in this game, there is a lot of soft stats. For instance, I noticed that a lot of people have problem with reading halberd’s attacks somehow. A little bit of footwork, jumping, sudden turning etc and you can trick ppl without feints.

Also, halberd’s stab has a really impressive range and since 70% of the players will charge at you trying to score a hit no matter what (no changes since I was gone ^^) nothing counters them better than a well placed stab :)

• The halberd stab is really hard to read, as it doesn’t look like an attack unless you’re to the side of the person performing it (or if you’re a bit further away). It’s the same for most polearms though and feints with tehir stabs or spearstabs are close to unreadable. The damage on the weapon is great and it’s longer and faster than the polehammer. The polehammer feels more like an anti knight weapon meanwhile the halberd is some all around kill everything because I can weapon.

• @Xylvion:

The halberd stab is really hard to read, as it doesn’t look like an attack unless you’re to the side of the person performing it (or if you’re a bit further away). It’s the same for most polearms though and feints with tehir stabs or spearstabs are close to unreadable. The damage on the weapon is great and it’s longer and faster than the polehammer. The polehammer feels more like an anti knight weapon meanwhile the halberd is some all around kill everything because I can weapon.

The thing is people trying to read feints off of animations. All though this is possible, against stabs you want to be timing the feints rather than reading the animation because it’s so subtle. Once ypu get weapon timings down and engraved in your head after lots of practice, reading stab feints will be less of an issue for ya.

• @Jstorm:

The thing is people trying to read feints off of animations. All though this is possible, against stabs you want to be timing the feints rather than reading the animation because it’s so subtle. Once ypu get weapon timings down and engraved in your head after lots of practice, reading stab feints will be less of an issue for ya.

Unless you mean broadsword and norse sword (or even most MaA primaries) as well I tend to agree. But if you tell me you can read a broadsword stab versus a broadsword stab feint I will require proof :).

But I do realize the conversation was about two specifics weapons, I just wanted to say that. Kind of like a disclaimer.

Parrying off the timing alone will get you killed though. Parrying late doesn’t always work, you DO kind of need to pay attention to the animation, and often-times it’s difficult when you can’t see the tip of the weapon (as is the case with polearms at close range).

Also the polehammer overhead feint looks very similar to the polehammer overhead. It looks like he’s slamming the weapon down when you do the feint late enough- looks like he’s attacking, and gets me 60-80% of the time. One of the best feints in the game, if you ask me (next to any MaA weapon)

• @quigleyer:

@Jstorm:

Unless you mean broadsword and norse sword (or even most MaA primaries) as well I tend to agree. But if you tell me you can read a broadsword stab versus a broadsword stab feint I will require proof :).

But I do realize the conversation was about two specifics weapons, I just wanted to say that. Kind of like a disclaimer.

Parrying off the timing alone will get you killed though. Parrying late doesn’t always work, you DO kind of need to pay attention to the animation, and often-times it’s difficult when you can’t see the tip of the weapon (as is the case with polearms at close range).

Also the polehammer overhead feint looks very similar to the polehammer overhead. It looks like he’s slamming the weapon down when you do the feint late enough- looks like he’s attacking, and gets me 60-80% of the time. One of the best feints in the game, if you ask me (next to any MaA weapon)

MaA and archer weapons are really tough but doable, the super short releases are what make it so difficult.

Of coarse you do have to watch the animations but if you know his windup and what it looks like as well as release you know when he’ll swing at you and when you should parry exactly thus making feints easier to read.

• @Jstorm:

I usually got no problems against feints, unless it’s polearms/spears though. But yeah as you said, I probably have to practice a bit more (;

• @Xylvion:

The halberd stab is really hard to read, as it doesn’t look like an attack unless you’re to the side of the person performing it (or if you’re a bit further away). It’s the same for most polearms though and feints with tehir stabs or spearstabs are close to unreadable.

This. Polearms have mucked up animations that do damage while it still appears to be in windup half the time and feinting is so hard to deal with thrust wise.