My review on deadliest warrior

• At the request of Lucas and other devs, I will happily write a review of Deadliest Warrior :D
    The game
    Release: late Autumn
    Cost: $14.99 (correct me if I’m wrong)
    Classes:
    -Samurai
    -Spartan
    -Chivalry Knight
    -???
    -???
    -???

My personal experience
    As some of you know, I spent my weekend at Pax prime 2013 during which I met some amazing people. During the 4 days I spent at pax, I spent a decent amount of time testing out and playing Deadliest Warrior along with getting plenty of my questions answered by Rasmus, Steve, Brady, Lucas, Andrew, Kimiko, and Tyler. As many of you know, I didn’t have high hopes for this expansion and I believe the timing wasn’t right. After spending hours playing Deadliest warrior, I was proven wrong. The trailer does not do the game justice and the game deserves a chance.

I really enjoyed the game being that it wasn’t just another chivalry game with more weapons and characters to play. It really did feel like a different game but it still had the same mechanics as chivalry. Even though it had the same mechanics as chivalry, all the weapons have different animations, making it more of a challenge to read feints and when to parry being that I don’t quite yet know the length of the windup/release of every weapon. I also enjoy the traps added into the levels that you can push your enemies (or teammates that hit me in my case) in. Other things I quite enjoyed was the lighting and effects on the levels. Being that they’re in Alpha, I believe it’s an amazing start. I also enjoyed the fact that everyone was running at the speed of Man at arms. That seemed to greatly affect my enjoyment when playing the game. It makes the game play faster and watching it more enjoyable.

Although I believe the game has a lot of positive aspects, it does have a few negative as well. One of them being the difference in weapon choices between the Samurai and the Spartan. The Samurai the choice between 9 primary weapons while the Spartan are given the choice between 3. What I also don’t enjoy is that every primary weapon for the Samurai is also a secondary. This means you can carry around a giant sword that contains similar properties as the messer, and you can have a bow in your off hand. I personally don’t enjoy this mechanic being that I think someone should choose between archer and the heavy hitter weapons. I’m still not a fan of the shorter feint window. It’s much too easy to read feints being that the windups of all weapons seem much slower so I feel it’s super easy to read decelerated swings and feints. Increasing the feint window would make it more challenging and rewarding to read feints (I stopped my bitching about feints, now you can too… Really, just learn how to read them). Along with the feint window, I’m still not a fan of the panic parry mechanic. If you’re going to take combo feint to parry and nurf feint to parry, I still wouldn’t want panic parry. But I already explained my case so we’ll see how much that helped.

Glitches, bugs, funny mechanics
    Being the game is in alpha at the moment, glitches, aspects and weird mechanics are acceptable and I won’t be a hard ass… Though I will write out a few that stuck with me the most to bring them to the dev’s attention so they can hopefully fix them (or start working on them) before beta comes out.
    -Crosshairs not lining up with arrows and javalins.
    -Combos seems to continue freely at times without attacks being queued up. (Idk if this was just me failing at the game, but DamnitPatrick and I both had the same feeling about this)
    -Parry from behind (I’m begging you to fix this).
    -Kill feed shows up as long sword for most/all weapons.
    -Unlimited javelins.
    Being that it’s in Alpha and I don’t have a super long list of glitches, is quite impressive if you ask me.

Alright, in conclusion I give Deadliest warrior an **8.5/10 **as an alpha.

If you have any other questions about the game feel free to come to me! Until then, tata my loves!~

• Unlimited javs probably means that ammo crates haven’t been added to the levels yet. It is alpha after all!

• YES Chivalry knight is a class! Also, I’m glad you were able to go to pax after all meow.

• Meow was obviously subverted and turned to the dark side.

Same thing that happens when reporters are embedded with the troops.

• @gregcau:

Meow was obviously subverted and turned to the dark side.

Same thing that happens when reporters are embedded with the troops.

I found a picture of Steve’s true form.

@parkrangerstan:

YES Chivalry knight is a class! Also, I’m glad you were able to go to pax after all meow.

I wasn’t able to test the chivalry knight at pax but I was told it was going to be pretty much the same as it is in the live game. I’m guessing the animations for some knight weapons might be changed, but I’m not 100% sure.

@ReMixx:

Unlimited javs probably means that ammo crates haven’t been added to the levels yet. It is alpha after all!

I believe it was just a silly little glitch. :D

• I guess it’s a pretty good sign to see someone do a complete 180 on their view of the game after playing it. Hopefully they’ll be able to meet their autumn release date so we have some new stuff to play soon.

• It’s nice to see a well written player review of the game. I have high hopes for the game, and seeing someone… I don’t want to say converted. It sounds nasty. Like the monks from Age of Empires. But still, seeing someone’s views challenged and changed, increases my hopes. Thanks Meow for the review, I’ll be sure to pass it on to others who wonder about the game.

Ma Chao’s morale has increased!

• @Ma:

I don’t want to say converted. It sounds nasty. Like the monks from Age of Empires.

Wolololo

• @Ma:

It’s nice to see a well written player review of the game. I have high hopes for the game, and seeing someone… I don’t want to say converted. It sounds nasty. Like the monks from Age of Empires. But still, seeing someone’s views challenged and changed, increases my hopes. Thanks Meow for the review, I’ll be sure to pass it on to others who wonder about the game.

Yeah, I’m shocked about being converted too. Steve explained and answered a lot of my questions about Torn Banner Studios and helped and helped me further understand where they’re going with their company.

Anyway, I find Deadliest Warrior much more enjoyable than Medieval Warfare mainly because everything was fast paced. I feel it’s a great middle-ground of new content, the game pre-patch, and the game post-patch.

• Nice to see positive reactions.

So who was the best player there?

• What I also don’t enjoy is that every primary weapon for the Samurai is also a secondary. This means you can carry around a giant sword that contains similar properties as the messer, and you can have a bow in your off hand.

……

• @bootyhorn:

What I also don’t enjoy is that every primary weapon for the Samurai is also a secondary. This means you can carry around a giant sword that contains similar properties as the messer, and you can have a bow in your off hand.

……

Don’t worry they are creating a DW balance council to address the balance issues for DW which will be released in time for christmas. bug fixes will come 3 months later in a large patch because the devs will be moving to a new studio after cashing in from the proceeds.

• @dudeface:

Nice to see positive reactions.

Not bragging or anything but 23-0 in a 7 minute 3v3 DTM

JUST SAYING

But I never got to play Knil in a fair setting xD
    It was a lot of fun though playing with/against the devs and other players and watching them play. I have a video of Steve playing that I should probably upload.

• @Meow:

@dudeface:

I love hot gamer girls

• @gregcau:

@Meow:

@dudeface:

I love hot gamer girls

You must really love Dubjay then.
    <3

• @Meow:

You must really love Dubjay then. <3

Oooh snap.

• @Meow:

@Ma:

It’s nice to see a well written player review of the game. I have high hopes for the game, and seeing someone… I don’t want to say converted. It sounds nasty. Like the monks from Age of Empires. But still, seeing someone’s views challenged and changed, increases my hopes. Thanks Meow for the review, I’ll be sure to pass it on to others who wonder about the game.

Yeah, I’m shocked about being converted too. Steve explained and answered a lot of my questions about Torn Banner Studios and helped and helped me further understand where they’re going with their company.

Anyway, I find Deadliest Warrior much more enjoyable than Medieval Warfare mainly because everything was fast paced. I feel it’s a great middle-ground of new content, the game pre-patch, and the game post-patch.

Not wishing to badger with questions though I do have one. I heard in TB’s albeit limited coverage, that each classes ‘fighting style’ is rather different, the example he gave was the Spartan’s shield being as much a weapon as a defensive tool in regards to combos. Anymore information/views concerning that?

• @Ma:

@Meow:

@Ma Chao the Splendid:

Not wishing to badger with questions though I do have one. I heard in TB’s albeit limited coverage, that each classes ‘fighting style’ is rather different, the example he gave was the Spartan’s shield being as much a weapon as a defensive tool in regards to combos. Anymore information/views concerning that?

I didn’t play much spartan, but the little I played, I was reminded of the flail. This is because the shield bast of the flail is just as important as the flail itself. When I played Spartan, the shield bash was very viable in combos and made everything a bit more fluid. I can easily see the shield bash being used quite often as a way to flinch enemies and do a bit of damage (well, I guess that’s what it was designed for besides to break shield blocks).

• Nice to hear, got my hopes up a lil more.

Though, I was probably gonna buy it anyway haha.

• @Meow:

Being the game is in alpha at the moment, glitches, aspects and weird mechanics are acceptable (…)

Chivalry-MW is not an Alpha and it’s as full of bugs as if it was one. Don’t think the final version of Chivalry-DW will be that different and/or fix and/or bug free. We know the greaaat TBS Team, now… We will be served another poo plate with no doubt…