MAA and Archer = OP

• Title. I’ve put in at least 100 hours into this game, plenty enough to learn about the game. But I still get killed by MAA and Archers that get inside your face and then poke you and kill you. ty

• First: Don’t panic.
    Second: Get your parry timing and aim right.
    Third: Kill them.

And stop expecting that having played for some hours will keep you from getting killed. There is always a bigger fish. And sometimes he comes in the shape of a humble Archer with a knife.

• It’s the forward movement speed and onehanded weapons doing work, very easy for newer players to get overwhelmed. You can do better though. Before fighting an archer, look at him and learn what to expect.

If he’s just charging you and swinging wildly, do not be intimidated - poke at him while you’re out of range or sidestep and attack. Do not just walk backwards and try to parry. If you want to parry, walk towards him, otherwise you risk his tiny weapon missing at first and then comboing you during parry recovery. Greedy archers like that should be easy to kill.
    If he’s walking backwards and being defensive like most decent archers are, do not just swing at him and give him a free parry. He’ll likely respond with a riposte stab or overhead that’s very hard to block and then wail on you as you panic. Get up nice and close before you attack, consider switching to a fast secondary, bait his parry with a jump or combo or just feint the fucker if you have to. No shame in fighting dirty against archers if they let you get that close.

Look at his weapon too. If he’s holding a shortsword, expect stabs to your side. Same with the saber, though mind the extreme reach of the stab. Cudgel isn’t very popular anymore and will likely be overhead spam. Thrusting Dagger is the only dagger I’ve seen decent archers use and they all do it for the unique overhead animation’s speed and angling that makes it difficult to block while being the most damaging and longest-reaching attack of any dagger. Lots of these around lately so watch out for that riposte overhead.

Knowledge is power here. If you know all their methods to get in free hits, they won’t land all of them.

As for MAAs, I have no idea. They’re tougher, faster, more handsome archers with better weapons and a teleport. The odds will always be against you in 1vs1 against a skilled MAA, but you can improve your chances by learning their weapons and strategies like with archers. Also, just switch to your secondary because you have absolutely no hopes of landing two hits with anything slower than a claymore or bearded axe.

I may have gone a bit overboard with this post considering you didn’t even ask for advice. I just had to say something because I felt a tiny part of my soul resonating with yours. I want you to kill those archers, I really do.

• Oh, didn’t expect to get such helpful advice ;p To clarify, I’ve actually got a lot less than 100 hours, just wanted to avoid comments like “noob” or “get better” >.> I’m only rank 10, so I’m kinda a noob. I mainly play as a knight with a Messer or the Maul, both of which are a little slow. With the maul I hardly get a hit on either class since it’s pretty slow. I switch to my secondary sometimes, but that’s usually when I get a hit on them, and they’re still alive, which is usually the case.

• @WhereIsMyMeat?:

Oh, didn’t expect to get such helpful advice ;p To clarify, I’ve actually got a lot less than 100 hours, just wanted to avoid comments like “noob” or “get better” >.> I’m only rank 10, so I’m kinda a noob. I mainly play as a knight with a Messer or the Maul, both of which are a little slow. With the maul I hardly get a hit on either class since it’s pretty slow. I switch to my secondary sometimes, but that’s usually when I get a hit on them, and they’re still alive, which is usually the case.

I got 108 hours and I die to Archers and MAAs as much as the next guy. They can really be a pain.

• You can still hit them with messer and maul but you usually wont be able to hit a good maa with that. Lookdown overheads will kill a lot of them. I know that everyone hates them but when fighting maa or archer that is decent, I find it ok to use since they have such a huge advantage in 1 on 1. Other thing, pull out your one handed right away, get a broad sword or ns for that.

• If they’ve got a knife, leaning backwards and crouching usually helps. meanwhile doing so you can start an overhead and bam they’re dead. or atleast they’re caught off guard either damaged or in the need of blocking. If the MAA got a broadsword just run the other direction and type x+3. If he’s good or got a shield you better switch to your secondary otherwise keep your primary and get him when he makes a mistake, unless you’re certain that you’ll get him with your primary. Same thing against archers, if he’s higher level you should switch to your secondary to be able to keep up with him.

• Fighting Archers, footwork is key, utilising torso body movement is good as well.

@Xylvion:

If they’ve got a knife, leaning backwards and crouching usually helps.

This definitely. I utilise this as one of my key tactics against an Archer or MAA with the daggers, will usually always catch them out. A player with less than 100 hours should be focusing on other tactics though.

Against MAA, patience is key, keep the pressure on him, keep marching forwards, sprinting even. If he dodges back, don’t worry, keep at him.

Considering you have less than 100 hours, don’t throw around the word OP as you would largely have no idea what you’re talking about.
    Good MAA are extremely difficult in 1v1, even border-lining OP yes, but hopefully some changes will be made to the class soon, yet again.

I main the Messer, and I can fight every class with it. It’s actually not that slow if you accelerate attacks accordingly, and once you learn about mouse dragging, use that against your opponents and watch them fall into disarray!

• First point: gaming forum etiquette. Never create a post with ‘= OP’ in the title, you will be immediately identified as having no idea what you’re talking about. Ask for help, don’t just point fingers.

Moving on.

If you’re a knight or vanguard it can be a good idea to lean on an archer’s stamina, particularly if he’s burning through it for free by hopelessly comboing the air in front of you.
    You really have to watch for the fast interrupt stabs, particularly on javelins these days, but if you can get maybe 2 good swings into them they’ll probably be about ready to go into stun animation and receive a free beheading.

Otherwise abuse their short range and the bubble, keep backpedalling until you’re ready to parry then walk into their swing and block it so you can follow up. If they try and disengage you get the breathing space for a free windup.

MAA are more problematic, they’re the 1 v 1 class. The main thing you probably need to learn is turning into their swings and overheads - don’t just look at them and right click.

• The stabs for the MMA are overly fast. I’ve played at least 200 hours from the start of summer til’ now and I’ve noticed that the MAA tends to be the only class that is, atleast to me, overbearing.

I’m about Rank 35-ish, and I’ve played more on the Archaic Templars server, who had just admitted me into their own group, and in all my time playing Chivalry I’ve never felt so helpless facing, or afraid of facing the MAA.

I don’t know if they’re intentionally built more around dueling than group fights, or if I’m just terrible. Maybe this is my bias. Spent a large amount of time recently doing Free for all Duels, and the MAA seems to be the only class where I have major difficult fighting.

I think maybe it’s because the speed of their movement allows them to quickly run up your side, and the speed of their stabs make it extremely difficult to block, and most blocks have to be done BEFORE or, a millisecond after they’re stab begins, and then of course the block inhibits the movement of where you aim slightly.

Couple that with their dodge, that can immediately follow up with a strike afterwards, and It almost always works against knights or Vanguards, though the Dodge doesn’t really bother me. The only solution I’ve ended up using are Feints, to get them to dodge, and then follow up with a strike.
    I try never using Feints ever, but with MAA I feel like I have to.

The only other solution is to whip out a Short sword, or any other one-handed weapon. I don’t know why, and if someone can explain it to me, that be great, but I find blocking with a one-handed weapon is a lot easier to manage against MAA and archer.

If maybe I’m wrong, please offer me any tips on improving. I’m also new to the Forums but hell, I’ve been playing Chivalry all the way back when the Mod was all that was available. Hell I played in Age of Chivalry scrims as ghetto as it may sound, was real good but don’t think any of that experience transfers over, not that I know of.

• Most of the other players here have given good advice. I don’t have much to add, but if you are a knight/vanguard, don’t be afraid to play the hit trade game with archers/maa. Even if you yourself don’t manage to kill them, you can still get an assist.

• @Sneaky:

The stabs for the MMA are overly fast.

MAAs don’t swing faster than other classes that use the same weapon.

• maa is definitely out of balance with the rest of the classes, but archers are not.
    im a knight primarily, but have been archering recently, i find that the bows are unrealistically underpowered when compared to reality, but in a good spot in terms of game balance, where i get the most hate however, is from knights and vanguards that charge me thinking im helpless in melee because im an Archer, and underestimating me, then getting mad that this archer keeps beating them in melee.

to me this screams not that the class is OP,after all its main weapon arguably takes the most practice to be proficient, maa hasgot speed, can teleport more or less, carry some of the fastest weapons, and have a decent amount of stahm holding it all together. ,are the only class to have firepots, convinced someone at tbs is in,love with them with all the perks it has

• @NoVaLombardia:

@Sneaky:

The stabs for the MMA are overly fast.

MAAs don’t swing faster than other classes that use the same weapon.

They may not swing any faster, but their foot speed can give that impression and also bring the actual sword to you faster.

Back peddling MAA, going straight into forward sprint then stabbing at you can hit you pretty damn quickly, especially with the semi dodgy stabs of the Broad/Norse sword.

Anyway, to fight MAA, you have to turn your reflexes to maximum and give all your attention into fighting him.

• see archer or maa, pull out secondary

• @clayton-bigsby:

see archer or maa, pull out secondary

The sad truth.

• Vancopter while walking backwards. This works more than you think it would.

• @omg87:

@clayton-bigsby:

The sad truth.

actually, for the most part i don’t have any qualms about feinting archers or maa

• The only way to really kill a good archer consistently is with another archer, preferably with a crossbow.

There’s only so much you can do to close the gap, even with shields and serpentine, before you either get swamped by his buddies or you get shot and then stabbed like you’re in prison.

• @omg87:

@clayton-bigsby:

The sad truth.

How is that sad?