Archers should crouch to increase accuracy?

• just doesn’t make sense for me… why

• As someone who shoots bows for real, I can say its the most awkward way to fire a shot I can think of. God knows how awkward it would be with a longbow. :?

• I suppose this is true for crossbows, but not for bows IRL…

• Almost all Archers in armies, for long range shots would crouch and aim high for precision shots.

• That archer is actually a Chivalry concept art, see his leg is missing.

• @-Slash-:

That archer is actually a Chivalry concept art, see his leg is missing.

Lollery I sayeth !

• Actually, archers only of the Classical and in the Far East were known to kneel. This could only have been possible with a smaller bow. Chivalry looks to be set in a period similar to the Late Medieval Age. During this time, effective archers had to use war bows of massive strength, with an average draw weight of around 120#. It took years of training (hence why the English were the only ones to field large quantities of these archers, though the Scots, Welsh, Danes, and even some French were recorded as having some archers who were capable of shooting a war bow). The technique required to draw back the bow to full draw (to the ear) required the archer to lean into the bow, pushing the bow with his left arm while pulling the string back with his right. This would be impossible crouched, as they would need the full strength of their backs and legs as well as their shoulders and arms.

• yeha the medieval longbow used alot of back and core muscles so i think kneeling would make that harder

fun fact they found many medieval skeletons with warped spines caused by bows

• Agreed. Shooting a bow from a crouched position is most uncommon. I’m denying that it gives you more precision for you have to pull back the string using your muscles and shoot high to reach long distances. Medieval shooting techniques were about spamming rather than precision shots.

I don’t know about Xbows though. Could be that crouching helps since it’s technically comparable to a rifle.

• The game isn’t suppose to be a simulator. It’s a trade off, more accuracy, less mobility.

• @DirtyHoudini:

The game isn’t suppose to be a simulator. It’s a trade off, more accuracy, less mobility.

In that case it supports unrealistic behaviour. I was under the impression the game wants us to feel like we’re on a medieval battlefield… When I’m seeing crouched archers I’m reminded that it’s a video game.

• well the worst position to shoot a bow is while lying XD and for trolling i did it once …… hit first on third try.

archers that kneel are actually not more accurate they are just standing in the first line of their own company.

shouldnt give acc bonus just because this is skill game not wow.

• I’m reminded it’s a video game every time I hit “Play”

How annoying!

• Mkilbride, there’s a difference between arguing that features suit the game play and arguing that everything in the game is 100% realistic. Saying stuff like

Almost all Archers in armies, for long range shots would crouch and aim high for precision shots.

or that all Western sword fighting syles are about aggression and brute force is very odd if you don’t have anything to back those statements up with. Maybe you should try to remind yourself more often that it’s just a video game.

This game aims to give you the feel of being on a medieval battlefield from a Hollywood movie. So I agree with DirtyHoudini that it suits the game play by adding a trade-off option.

• Well said Kwal!

• Does crouching really make much of an accuracy difference? I don’t notice it.

• It makes your crosshairs tighter and seems to imply a great degree of accuracy, but the difference between crouching and standing is minimal if it exists at all. The only time I’ve actually noticed my projectiles veering at all is when sprinting and throwing axes/knives.

• The most famous military mode (for shooting guns at least) is exhaling just before you shoot. So maybe they could add the option to Exhale in order to improve accuracy and since holding your breathe and then exhaling to many times would have an impact on your stamina then that could be the competitive measure for game play?

Also if they coupled increasing tension over a few seconds then firing an arrow for longer or shorter distances could be improved with proper timing of an exhale (I’m referring to the common technique used in most games like in the Call Of Duty series and Red Orchestra, etc.)

• WotR tried to do that actually, and while it’s a neat idea, it’s very hard to notice there when you are holding your breath. Chivalry developers could probably do it better though.

• Do not add overly complicated actions to improve stuff by 5%… seriously, breath being taken into account ? I prefer crouching, as unrealistic as it may be, a hundred times over, and I do wish it stays in the game.