The current problems with Man at arms

• I wanted to make a post about my current thoughts of Man at arms in the live game.
    Recently, I made the switch over to Vanguard and Knight from Man at arms. The reasoning behind that was because man at arms became much to easy for me to play. I didn’t feel it was much of a challenge and I had more fun playing other classes. But playing against Man at arms has been quite a challenge for most people and I wanted to give some input on why this might be a challenge and why the class may seem “imba” or in other words “imbalanced”.

Speed mixed with dodge and panic parry
    Currently, man at arms are the fastest class in the game in terms of general speed. Which I believe it should be being that man at arms are a very light class that relies on speed. The speed alone, makes man at arms difficult to deal with but adding dodge makes it that much easier for man at arms to dodge every attack thrown at them. I find it frustrating when I’m playing at man at arms, their back peddle can get out of range of most of my attacks. It feels that when playing man at arms, dodge isn’t necessary unless you “mess up”. A good man at arms can run around someone freely without using dodge, and the only time they need to really use it is if they fall for a feint, or misread the direction of a swing, giving them a get out of jail free card. On top of that, they are given a second emergency get out of jail free card in the form of panic parry. When a man at arms miss an attack, it doesn’t matter because they can panic parry and run away to gain their stamina back (chase mechanics doesn’t work too well if someone moves from side to side). The only way I feel I can beat man at arms is if I manage to pull off a feint to parry, matrix, side step, or the MaA messes up enough to the point that they run out of stamina or they get hit. It’s frustrating that I feel I have to rely on my opponent messing up in order for me to actually land a hit. Being the current meta for MaA (that i’ve seen) has currently been use horizontal slashes and move to the side of your opponent, it makes it very difficult to actually pull off decent side steps. Feint to parry isn’t very reliable because the feint window is so small. In my opinion, the best way at the moment to deal with Man at arms is to “matrix”. Which still isn’t very reliable being that that a good man at arms will just aim down at the feet when someone is matrixing and the panic parry can be easily used to counter this.

Current bugs
    In the recent patch, a bug was discovered that man at arms can dodge out of stun. This means if you stam a Man at arms out, they have the ability to dodge out of the 1.8s long stun time, making it an increased challenge.

This is just a few thoughts that I had about man at arms that are quite frustrating to not only me, but many people in both Europe and North America. I understand Man at arms is a very tricky and difficult thing to balance, but I hope my input can help the dev team in balancing Man at arms.

• I think the main MAA problem everyone should be worried about is you not posting the followup to that cosplay picture

• @Torrenz:

I think the main MAA problem everyone should be worried about is you not posting the followup to that cosplay picture

I’m sorry hun, I broke the zipper and was unable to wear it to pax.
    I mainly went in normal clothes because it was most comfortable and being on my feet for 8+ hours a day, I wanted to be comfortable…

ANYWAY If you have any questions about my personal experience at pax other than chivalry, message me privately so we can keep this thread on topic.

• Not sure if this is really a problem with the MaA itself or Vanguards and Knights simply can’t match them in 1vs1 situations. I vote for the latter with vanguards being able to deal with MaA’s better.

• I agree with you sydney

anyone that doesnt is dumb

• I think it’s a problem with all the other classes (other than archer) being useless.

I’d honestly rather see every class with dodge before MaA without dodge. But I guess if we’re following the trend of balance patches so far, I suppose removing stuff that can make the game more interesting is the way to go.

• Agreed with your assessment here. MAA simply have too many methods available to them to escape from obvious mistakes. It doesn’t help that dodge has no tell and is basically teleportation.

I would also add that the broadsword/norse stab animations are really poor in terms of telegraphing the effective range of the weapon.

• @SHH_:

I would also add that the broadsword/norse stab animations are really poor in terms of telegraphing the effective range of the weapon.

I thought I was the only one who thought this!

• @NabsterHax:

I think it’s a problem with all the other classes (other than archer) being useless.

I don’t understand how anyone can even possibly think vanguard’s support ability is even close to useless.

• @SHH_:

Not only that but they’re way to fast (broad and norse stab is at the same speed, which is ridicolous) and two broadsword stabs can take down a vanguard. from what it feels like the broadsword might be the “longest” weapon in game, esepcially with the MAA speed and dodge. Also you have to make some ridicolous blocks from behind you to actually block it when the opponent is in your face. It also seems to be the only weapon that you can still superjump with so something has to be done about this weapon asap.
    Other than that the attack animations with shields are ridicolous:
    1 - the weapon is a lot faster using a shield.
    2 - the weapon has shorter reach with a shield.
    ^the speed makes up for the reach anyway. In any case, instead of working on totally new animations for totally new characters for a totally new expansion of “why now?” they should fix the animations of the current game so they work properly.
    ^most of this is annoying when knights use it as well, but as they’re not as fast their secondaries are actually shorter than the spears when they use it.

• Remove MAA.

• @NoVaLombardia:

@NabsterHax:

I think it’s a problem with all the other classes (other than archer) being useless.

I don’t understand how anyone can even possibly think vanguard’s support ability is even close to useless.

Thats because the Vanguard is not a support class at all, instead its probably the main carry class at the moment. So yeah, “support vanguard” is useless and not worth it.

However, since the skill level in American Chivalry is so low, people probably still see vanguard as support class over there and think Knights with grand mace is OP.

• However, since the skill level in American Chivalry is so low, people probably still see vanguard as support class over there.

Whaaaat

Europe relies on feints three times more than in america. I agree with you on vanguards being a main, though; nonetheless, archers are still super OP. Bigs and flotch are the only reason Vq looses to faucheur. We play 4 vanguards in 8v8.

• @Meow:

@SHH_:

I thought I was the only one who thought this!

Not at all. I swear, sometimes it feels like the broad/norse are basically the same length as my longsword…

Oh and in terms of MAA effectiveness, let us not forget firepots (the main choice for most MAA), which are almost 90% undodgeable and are basically free damage on potentially multiple opponents.

Edit: On a completely unrelated side note, I always thought firepots would be better suited for vanguards who are ostensibly supposed to “lead the charge and break defensive lines.” Conversely, given that MAA are supposed to flank opponents, I always thought they should have smoke pots instead.

• @Jstorm:

Europe relies on feints three times more than in america.

@SHH_:

let us not forget firepots which are almost 90% undodgeable.

Additionally, 90% of Europeans relies on feints and about 70% of maa in Europe abuse firepots. That’s a scientific fact.

• I’m also finding that the alt LMB attack on a MaA requires you to turn much further than the normal attack at the same range in order to properly parry it. Most MaA seem to recognize this, as the alt LMB seems to be linked to their actual LMB, or so I’m assuming with how often they do it :). I don’t have a problem blocking it most of the time, but I see it take down people who believe they can block it by blocking the “normal LMB way” on the opposite side.

I’m almost sure the huge range currently found on MaA has to do with the new lunges (hold sprint+attack). They can cover so much ground in so little time it’s like added range to their stabs.

• @CRUSHED:

@NoVaLombardia:

@NabsterHax:

Thats because the Vanguard is not a support class at all, instead its probably the main carry class at the moment. So yeah, “support vanguard” is useless and not worth it.

However, since the skill level in American Chivalry is so low, people probably still see vanguard as support class over there and think Knights with grand mace is OP.

Be nice…

• @quigleyer:

I’m almost sure the huge range currently found on MaA has to do with the new lunges (hold sprint+attack). They can cover so much ground in so little time it’s like added range to their stabs.

Wait, how is that new?
    @quigleyer:

I’m also finding that the alt LMB attack on a MaA requires you to turn much further than the normal attack at the same range in order to properly parry it. Most MaA seem to recognize this, as the alt LMB seems to be linked to their actual LMB, or so I’m assuming with how often they do it

Obviously, alt slash is superior and there is no reason to pick normal slash over it as your default.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

Wait, how is that new?

Well MAA got decently significant speed buffs last patch. I also believe they re-worked the stab animations for 1h as I remember distinctly thinking they were different the day the patch hit, though it could just be an artifact of the increased speed, I don’t think they mentioned anywhere in writing that they changed the animations (But Im pretty sure they did).

• Sprint speed or stab animation length were not changed at all.