Careless archers need a stronger deterant



  • Its seems that most new players learn early on that running up behind a tight group of teammates and wildy LMB spamming with the bardiche or greatsword is somewhat annoying and not very helpful. Even when you have a teammate doing that you can usaully avoid it because it’s so clumsy and predictable. But i just dont get whats up with all these rank 40+ archers who still take shots that they know are just as likely, if not more likely, to hit a teammate. Shooting at 1v1s, shooting into fights involving more teammates than enemies, shooting down narrow corridors when a teammate is between them and their target, they just dont seem to learn. I’m guessing it’s because long-range kills feel somewhat disconnected compared to running up to someone and bashing their skull in. Either way it’s annoying.

    My suggestion would be an ammo reduction penalty, where they lose x ammount of ammo for each time they hit a teammate or a reflective damage system. This “shoot another arrow into the crowd and hope it hits an enemy this time” mentality has to go.



  • idk why this would only apply to archers, teammates swinging their weapons around is just as deadly.

    i like my suggestion from long ago and i would implement on my server if i could.

    After doing enough team damage, you will have all your weapons taken away and have to fight with your fists… once you get your percentage ratio of damage back up with the fists, you can have your weapon back.

    That or you get turned into a peasant until you die, once you respawn you can have your weapon back. There would have to be some notice that someone has become a filthy peasant.



  • @clayton-bigsby:

    idk why this would only apply to archers, teammates swinging their weapons around is just as deadly.

    i like my suggestion from long ago and i would implement on my server if i could.

    After doing enough team damage, you will have all your weapons taken away and have to fight with your fists… once you get your percentage ratio of damage back up with the fists, you can have your weapon back.

    That or you get turned into a peasant until you die, once you respawn you can have your weapon back. There would have to be some notice that someone has become a filthy peasant.

    The degrading weapon idea would add a lot to the game. The peasant thing would be funny. Both ideas are kickass good and if the SDK ever comes out (assuming anyone is still playing by then), I think it would make for an interesting and rewarding code project.

    Another good idea is the final blow system. I played a game where TO required you to kill any non-decap enemies with a final blow or friends could revive them. Now, that may or may not appeal to you guys, but you also could do this if you TK’d and I cannot tell you the amount of animosity this reduced on damn near every server I tried. We already can mutilate bodies on the ground, so a new attack isn’t necessary, just the function and the hand up.



  • @clayton-bigsby:

    That or you get turned into a peasant until you die, once you respawn you can have your weapon back. There would have to be some notice that someone has become a filthy peasant.

    “Sweet, if I kill enough team mates I get a peasant skin.” - Average dudebro Chivalry player.



  • Majority of the teamkills I see in the killfeed and I get killed by are careless knights and vanguards. Not archers.

    Rather than deter them make them better.



  • actually if we’re going to have deterrents, then I’d go with one for cata’s: if you kill more teammates than enemies, next time you enter a cata you should be on a cooldown timer :P

    Which would probably also stop people monopolising the cata (especially if they’re really bad with it :P)



  • In WotR, teamdamage doesn’t get applied to the teammate, it gets applied to the attacker. Overall, it’s my opinion that Chivalrry is a better game, but that part of WotR is quite funny sometimes and people don’t get pissed over TKs, because they don’t happen, only suicide.



  • Archers are selfish and extremely cocky people. They don’t care for teamwork as long as they can hide behind their teammates safely and fire into a cluster of enemies and teammates alike. Even if they don’t end up killing an ally, it’s more than likely they’ll at least injure a few. They don’t care.

    They’re under the impression that they are in fact “the best” because they have the least amount of deaths and in some cases even the most kills. And that’s only because their asses are constantly saved by their allies, which they’re rarely thankful for. And their kills are more than often killsteals, taking away the lives of enemies that have been already slashed to near death.

    If you’re an archer, try not to take too much offense to what I said. It’s just how I see them, though there can be exceptions. I’ve met a few pretty cool archers on the field.



  • It was stupid to put long-range snipers in a melee-based game with friendly fire in the first place. There’s nothing they can do to make it work properly in a game like this.



  • I shoot in those situations, but I usually only hit a teammate like once or twice each round while using a bow. I deal more teamdamage by overheading or stabbing oppnents than I do by shooting an arrow into a group of 5 teammates and 1 enemy, which is usually a 70% chance that I hit the opponent 20% chance that I don’t hit anything and 10% that I hit an enemy. Also as an archer I somehow get hit by teammates a shitload, because they want to “help” me in a 1v1 melee by overheading or slashing right through me. So the chances that a high level archer teammate hits you is less than that a high level knight/vanguard hits you with a swing of some sort.


Log in to reply