Stop complaining

• Hello friends, nice to meet you :)

I’ve been playing chivalry since January of this year, and it has filled what little free time I have with uncontrollable eye drenching laughter and pants-shittingly intense action. I have not had this much fun with a multiplayer fps style pc game since Halo 1 LAN parties across the dorms in junior college.

So… yeah, I’m a tad older than the average LMB’er, which may be why my patience is increasingly wearing thin with the community’s general attitude toward this game and the developers. I enjoy browsing the forums during my lunch break to see what interesting and creative ideas the community is bringing to the table (and I’ve seen some really cool ideas), but I have to first filter through pages upon pages of mindless complaining and bashing of TBS. What’s most off-putting is this attitude that you know how to do a better job than a group of people who do this every day to make a living. Sitting in front of a computer playing video games all day does not mean you know anything about running a company who makes them. If you happen to work in the industry and actually have something constructive to offer, then this does not apply to you.

Lately, most of the negativity is being directed at the expansion, and how it’s going to “destroy the original game”. Everyone is so dramatic. I recently read a post about how this one person just isn’t interested in chiv anymore specifically because of the expansion. I don’t understand how an expansion that hasn’t been released yet can kill your love for this game. TBS already said they will still be polishing vanilla chiv anyway. There are plenty of players to go round. You won’t see vanilla chiv servers wiped out. Stop worrying about things you can’t control, and especially things that haven’t happened yet. You’ll live longer.

When TBS announced they were adding customization, I nearly fell out of my chair. I just thought that was the coolest idea yet. Scroll down a bit, and the flood of complaining has already broken through the levy, especially regarding the DLC helms. Oh my, the nerve of a company actually asking for money in exchange for its product. “Why do you have to release them in a pack? There’s 1 cool helm with a bunch of shitty ones”. Well, they could give you none of them for free? They could charge more if they wanted? You could appreciate what’s offered to you instead of thinking you’re entitled?

Chivalry is a fun game. It’s not perfect, and it never will be. Developing for video games is a challenging endeavour, so just appreciate the hard work they are constantly putting in to Chiv.

• There is nothing wrong with constructive complaints. The loudest complainers are usually the people who love the game the most and want more.

Customization you love so much - I don’t get it, I can’t see my own customizations so why would I customize it. And while it is a little cool to see a variety of colors. it doesn’t add anything to my enjoyment.

Now if the colors truly did mean something e.g. you only get a color if you have attained some kind of difficult achievement. e.g. watch out for the yellow archer, his aim is damn good, then that would add a new element to the game that was noteworthy. Right now it is all rather random and meaningless.

As to people lacking enthusiasm due to the expansion, it makes total sense if you think about it. People are waiting for important things to get finished - like the SDK so when they announce that they have actually been working on a new game for Spike TV then yes I can understand why they would be upset.

• @gregcau:

There is nothing wrong with constructive complaints. The loudest complainers are usually the people who love the game the most and want more.
    He wasn’t referring to that kind of discussion.

Customization you love so much - I don’t get it, I can’t see my own customizations so why would I customize it. And while it is a little cool to see a variety of colors. it doesn’t add anything to my enjoyment.
    Play in 3rd Person. Customization actually gave me a reason to play in 3d person.

Now if the colors truly did mean something e.g. you only get a color if you have attained some kind of difficult achievement. e.g. watch out for the yellow archer, his aim is damn good, then that would add a new element to the game that was noteworthy. Right now it is all rather random and meaningless.
    Get to rank 50 and get the gold on the helmet to set you apart.

As to people lacking enthusiasm due to the expansion, it makes total sense if you think about it. People are waiting for important things to get finished - like the SDK so when they announce that they have actually been working on a new game for Spike TV then yes I can understand why they would be upset.
    This has been a long hard process that needs to be done correctly. As SlyGoat mentioned, the people working on the SDK are separate from the DW. So its getting done as quick as its going to get done.

• @ChuckingIt:

@gregcau:

Play in 3rd Person. Customization actually gave me a reason to play in 3d person.

never, I refuse to play that mode again

• Greg is trying to justify his own bitching, that’s all. I’m happy with Chivalry, flaws and all, and just as my interest finally starts to wain after playing since release, they announce this new expansion. In my opinion, it sounds fresh and fun and I don’t understand all the tampon traffic over what we’ve wanted anyway: new Chivalry content! TBS making bigger and bigger partnerships. The game we love is obviously succeeding, now everyone needs to sit back and enjoy what’s given to them instead of explaining why their personal wants REALLY SHOULD BE IMPLEMENTED ASAP FUCKIN SHIT !!TBS!! DER HERP DERP ur company is bad lul 8-)

• @Oy:

Greg is trying to justify his own bitching, that’s all. I’m happy with Chivalry, flaws and all,

I bitch about very little, just a few annoying things.

but I understand you are happy with nothing new to CMW, some kids are easy to please.

DW is not very exciting only because there is no TO so its the usual run around and work on your K/D ratio which is not appealing to me.

• My opinion > your opinion.

• Critiquing criticisms en masse, what is the point of that? I’d be far more interested in your opinions if you expressed them in the relevant threads. If you feel there is any undue negativity directed towards the game or the studio I’d welcome your positive spin on the issues raised but just saying stop complaining; you couldn’t do any better, adds nothing to the debates.

• @lejosh:

Hello friends, nice to meet you :)

I’ve been playing chivalry since January of this year, and it has filled what little free time I have with uncontrollable eye drenching laughter and pants-shittingly intense action. I have not had this much fun with a multiplayer fps style pc game since Halo 1 LAN parties across the dorms in junior college.

So… yeah, I’m a tad older than the average LMB’er, which may be why my patience is increasingly wearing thin with the community’s general attitude toward this game and the developers. I enjoy browsing the forums during my lunch break to see what interesting and creative ideas the community is bringing to the table (and I’ve seen some really cool ideas), but I have to first filter through pages upon pages of mindless complaining and bashing of TBS. What’s most off-putting is this attitude that you know how to do a better job than a group of people who do this every day to make a living. Sitting in front of a computer playing video games all day does not mean you know anything about running a company who makes them. If you happen to work in the industry and actually have something constructive to offer, then this does not apply to you.

Lately, most of the negativity is being directed at the expansion, and how it’s going to “destroy the original game”. Everyone is so dramatic. I recently read a post about how this one person just isn’t interested in chiv anymore specifically because of the expansion. I don’t understand how an expansion that hasn’t been released yet can kill your love for this game. TBS already said they will still be polishing vanilla chiv anyway. There are plenty of players to go round. You won’t see vanilla chiv servers wiped out. Stop worrying about things you can’t control, and especially things that haven’t happened yet. You’ll live longer.

When TBS announced they were adding customization, I nearly fell out of my chair. I just thought that was the coolest idea yet. Scroll down a bit, and the flood of complaining has already broken through the levy, especially regarding the DLC helms. Oh my, the nerve of a company actually asking for money in exchange for its product. “Why do you have to release them in a pack? There’s 1 cool helm with a bunch of shitty ones”. Well, they could give you none of them for free? They could charge more if they wanted? You could appreciate what’s offered to you instead of thinking you’re entitled?

Chivalry is a fun game. It’s not perfect, and it never will be. Developing for video games is a challenging endeavour, so just appreciate the hard work they are constantly putting in to Chiv.

Honestly I think some of the gripes are valid, and you have a point at the same time.

The game’s scaled down Create A Wrestler feature (It’s similar to a rudimentary CAW from a certain Yuke’s series) Is actually pretty cool. I like the colors, logos, and things in it. I set up the colors to look closer to Masters Of The Universe factions being an old man who grew up with that IP.

But for instance, some have said it confuses them during team modes, so they’re getting kicked for accidentally taking down friends. You, and I would simply look at name color, but at the same time in a stressful game, I guess I could see how it would mess a few of them up.

Other gripes get murkier because of disagreement. Some hate the Vanguard’s 1 hit charge with the Claymore or pole arms. Others point out if it misses they’re essentially boned. Some hate the fact Archers exist because they can shoot arrows, but they’ll neglect the fact that they go down like flies the second say, a knight gets within swinging distance.

I think most of the complaints though boil down to one group of people: Griefers. I for one doubt most of the Team kills happen by accidental color confusion. I’m sure it happens sometimes, but the overwhelming majority is likely jerks who think it’s fun to make everyone angry.
    In DM/FFA you get the spawnkillers, deliberately making it so you can’t even start the game.
    IN TO you have jerks who would rather dick around playing grab ass instead of doing an objective.

In that regard there’s only so much TBS can do. Maybe making a server run update that eliminates Friendly Fire would end much of the TKs. Maybe make a mutator for FFA like UT/UT2k4/UT3 had where if one kills another within the first 15 seconds of their spawning into the map to play, instead of the spawning player dying, the Spawnkiller dies instead, giving a frag to the guy who just started, and a warning message on the screen “Hey don’t be a jerkbag. Let someone walk a few paces.” Which would of course be lifted entirely if the spawning player presses an attack. This worked on a lot of UT games pretty well.

But outside of that it would require server mods. People who can observe every player, in every match watching for disruptive behavior. That falls out of the realm of TBS unless they own a particular server you’re playing on. I think though that if more servers could have that some of the heat would die down. Because then one server might care if people look at the sun or the grass constantly, while another might care more about the legitimacy of drags.

As far as the expansion goes, I’m pumped for it but some people have a point insofar as some other games’ expansions fragmented the base. Not all but some. You never know though until it comes out, and to be fair if there’s a Chivalry 2 the base could always split between two games anyway. I was one of the most hardcore fans of Unreal Tournament, and that happened with every iteration. On the other hand it could be like Battlefield, or CoD where every year every fan lines up with their $60 so that’s speculation.

• most of the people that are happy with the game don’t know the massive list of bugs in it, or haven’t played it very long so they still have that initial feeling we all had when we started playing. plus a lot of people didn’t experience the game prior to some of the later patches, so they have no understanding of what changed, they only have what is now… and they just think that’s how the game has already been.

most of the complaints are valid… and i actually agree that there’s no reason to really complain about the expansion… more power to Tbs on that one, they said they haven’t forgotten about chiv and are working on a patch now so complaining about splitting the community and all that bullshit… fuck it. If you’re too cheap to pay 15 bucks then you can be split and play the base game, those who want to play the new game will. It’s basically like any other game… I think of the expansion as an entirely separate game… if your buddy was playing skyrim instead of chivalry… is that splitting the community because not everyone can play skyrim? If you want to play skyrim buy skyrim. If you want to play deadliest warrior buy it… especially if you don’t want to be one of the ‘split’. Makes no sense to gripe over the expansion in that sense… just like if you didnt buy the expansions to battlefield 3… you couldn’t play them… that’s kind of the point.

The only valid response was that people thought or think that chivalry is forgotten about and it will never be fixed, but since they’re working on it now, i have better hopes that a lot of the bugs will get done… but they still gotta progress forward somehow. Game studios only get bigger by making more games… not continuing the same game for 5 years and blowing all their money on one game. If people could do that we’d all still be running windows 1.0. Microsoft works on 8 while 7 is out, continue to support 7 but work on 8… same deal.

As far as the helms go, that’s pretty legitimate ‘request’ not a ‘complaint’ that you can purchase the ones you like separately rather than have to buy a pack when you only want 1 of the 4… so i can see where some people are coming from on that one, as long as it was actually just a request and not a big ass burning complaint.

• As long as it’s complain about bugs it’s OK. But when it comes to balance, it’s a shitstorm.

• @gregcau:

Customization you love so much - I don’t get it, I can’t see my own customizations so why would I customize it.

The point is to decide how others see you. And of course seeing the others customizations which makes the game look more diverse. Thats why a “hide customizations” option (clientside) would be a very very bad thing.

Some complains are good to happen: I would rather like it if the forum would be flooded with complaints about bugs like the dodge out of stamina. Also constructive feedback actually helps in making the game better.

Others are bad. As in: destructive. People complain about features they just don’t like and want them to be removed or at least nerfed to uselessness so they won’t encounter them anymore. Tactics include trying to make the particular feature look too strong or “unfun”. Then we got the diversity haters. They want their game oversimplified and without much time to get into. Both types of complains are aimed at taking depth away from the game.

• Whenever you’re reading the forums for any game, please keep in mind that the people who are having a stomping good time are out playing the game - the ones who have a bone to pick are on the forums. Plus, even when things are going completely according to plan (which is never, in any game, ever), there is very little to actually talk about. Basically, the forums are typically a heavily skewed representation of the average, overall opinion of a game.

• Constructive complaints: Yes, keep them up, please!
    Flaming at something because you failed: Stop it, please!

I see people complaining about the greatsword being faster than a dagger when I kill them. WTF? Have they low fps or are they just angry at theirself but blame the game? IDK. I wish this kind of flaming would stop. I admit I’m doing it, too. I’m angry at myself for failing and start complaining. But at least I usually get to blame myself in the chat instead of the other guy or TBS. Usually… Sometimes I’m a d!ck, too!

• @clayton-bigsby:

most of the people that are happy with the game don’t know the massive list of bugs in it, or haven’t played it very long so they still have that initial feeling we all had when we started playing. plus a lot of people didn’t experience the game prior to some of the later patches, so they have no understanding of what changed, they only have what is now… and they just think that’s how the game has already been.

most of the complaints are valid… and i actually agree that there’s no reason to really complain about the expansion… more power to Tbs on that one, they said they haven’t forgotten about chiv and are working on a patch now so complaining about splitting the community and all that bullshit… fuck it. If you’re too cheap to pay 15 bucks then you can be split and play the base game, those who want to play the new game will. It’s basically like any other game… I think of the expansion as an entirely separate game… if your buddy was playing skyrim instead of chivalry… is that splitting the community because not everyone can play skyrim? If you want to play skyrim buy skyrim. If you want to play deadliest warrior buy it… especially if you don’t want to be one of the ‘split’. Makes no sense to gripe over the expansion in that sense… just like if you didnt buy the expansions to battlefield 3… you couldn’t play them… that’s kind of the point.

The only valid response was that people thought or think that chivalry is forgotten about and it will never be fixed, but since they’re working on it now, i have better hopes that a lot of the bugs will get done… but they still gotta progress forward somehow. Game studios only get bigger by making more games… not continuing the same game for 5 years and blowing all their money on one game. If people could do that we’d all still be running windows 1.0. Microsoft works on 8 while 7 is out, continue to support 7 but work on 8… same deal.

As far as the helms go, that’s pretty legitimate ‘request’ not a ‘complaint’ that you can purchase the ones you like separately rather than have to buy a pack when you only want 1 of the 4… so i can see where some people are coming from on that one, as long as it was actually just a request and not a big ass burning complaint.

This^

I admit I’m doing it, too. I’m angry at myself for failing and start complaining. But at least I usually get to blame myself in the chat instead of the other guy or TBS. Usually… Sometimes I’m a d!ck, too!

same here, I don’t like to blame other people for what I have done, though I think I may bash myself a bit too much.

• @ChuckingIt:

Third-person mode is unplayable because of the crosshair bug.

Oops, I guess I’m complaining.

• The regular 3rd person is, not the “double tap P key” one. Try it. I was so happy to avoid that crosshair bug… Anyway, keep in mind people don’t really complain about the extension, they complain about the time spent on DW which is not spent to fix MW.

• 2000 people playing Chiv, 28000 playing Skyrim…Chiv sold 1.2 million copies in less than a year and Skyrim is what, like 3 years old now? Now I know the comparison is a stretch, but even as MP games go, c’mon, this is bad. It is getting around 1000 a day at the low point. Oblivion has 580 players atm and that s*** is old as can be. Obviously the complaints have quite a bit of validity, wouldn’t you say??

At this point, the game is so noob-friendly, I spend most of my time either training people or showing up to let them get some kills to rank up and to feel good about killing a lvl 48. It is either that or get disgusted at what has come to be in this game, a personal favorite title of mine.

The attitude of “it will get done when it gets done” goes right along with the OP’s original complaint. I am a programmer, I’m not published yet, but game design, modding, etc. is part of my day to day routine and while I understand TBS’s business pains at the same time, it’s statements like that which nail the coffin shut, even for a patient man. There are bugs on release and then there is rushing out your code. I don’t know what to say, get more testers and a wider array of test equipment. You have had forums full of people who cannot get up and running, find a browser, who are dissatisfied and have real gripes…excuses get old and reasoning gets older. Seeing a line like that…it comes off harsh.

Balance – every game in this genre houses forums that when taken together, read as if the devs are incompetent and the entire game is unbalanced. Unfortunately, TBS listened to their forum people, created a balance council, which both looked unprofessional and gave awful advice, and now the game actually is unbalanced and has become rather un-fun.

You have the game based on Unreal…Unreal is probably the greatest f****** game I have ever played (I just started a few days ago)…this could be that awesome, but you know, the SDK will get done when they are damn good and ready.

You have people asking for refunds getting “F*** Y**” as a response. The likelihood of them ever buying a TBS game is slim. Posts like this, the denial of issues, the endless douchebaggery of admins and players alike…as a vet player, THIS is what has gotten old. Of course people are complaining – the situation has degraded into utter nonsense and you know, TBS can only be held so much to blame. The community has played its role in this as well.

And no offense to OP, 12 posts in, for all I know you are one of the dev’s buddies trying to help their friend fight off angry mob of people, but these type of 'hooray, nothing wrong with the game" posts always struck me as a bit suspect and if I am thinking it, you know other customers are too, whether it is true or false.

• @Grogan:

@ChuckingIt:

Third-person mode is unplayable because of the crosshair bug.

Oops, I guess I’m complaining.

There’s a mod that fixes it.

So stop complaining.

• @lejosh:

Epsecially when you are working with such a small team on a combat system that has never really been done before.

Ever since I started playing this game, every game had massive amounts of complainers. It’s just the nature of gamers these days and it is very disappointing to witness it in such magnitude.