Spartan shield question

• i heard from someone who played dw on pax that you currently cant use the spartan onehanders without shield, will this be changed in future? i hope so :?

• Spartan with his shield is kind of iconic. One without a shield would look a bit awkward in my opinion. But we’ll see!

• @Jon:

Spartan with his shield is kind of iconic. One without a shield would look a bit awkward in my opinion. But we’ll see!

Plus there is something cool about counterbalancing a character that cannot equip shields with one that cannot unequip them. :D

• Yeah totally cool and it makes sense. Not.

Anyway this was a question for the devs, lol. hopefully they see it

• @CRUSHED:

Yeah totally cool and it makes sense. Not.

It does make sense. In melee combat, you don’t really want to have nothing in your off-hand. You want to hold something. Either you grip a weapon with two hands, or you hold a shield, or you have a parry weapon like a dagger or a buckler. Medieval fights I’ve seen with a sword and nothing in the other hand, the combatant do look rather awkward. Unless it’s rapier fighting style, with your arm behind your back, but that’s a different time period.

• @SavageBeatings:

@CRUSHED:

Yeah totally cool and it makes sense. Not.

It does make sense. In melee combat, you don’t really want to have nothing in your off-hand. You want to hold something. Either you grip a weapon with two hands, or you hold a shield, or you have a parry weapon like a dagger or a buckler. Medieval fights I’ve seen with a sword and nothing in the other hand, the combatant do look rather awkward. Unless it’s rapier fighting style, with your arm behind your back, but that’s a different time period.

Exactly. These warriors were called “Hoplites” and were named after their shield the Hoplon. The Greeks considered the shield the most important part of a warriors arsenal.

Hopefully shields won’t suck in CDW like they currently do in CMW.

• bringing realism into chivalry, and especially deadliest warrior

its a game

i know that shields were important for the spartans so calm your tits guys

however shields are pretty bad in this game and are kinda babymode, which is why im asking

• I’m really conflicted on whether or not making the spartan’s shields removable. If you let people take the shields off, Spartan just turns into a Spear vanguard, thus losing the idea of a different class. But shields aren’t popular with higher level players (I know of very few people who use shields in the current game). So we need to find a way to make shields viable.

How I personally would attempt at changing the Spartan
    Buffing the Spartan’s shield from the live shield will help with the popularity of it. But you have to be careful with this, if you give a long spear user a really good shield, it could be incredibly unbalanced. I possibility would be making the shield have more variety of uses. I was thinking the only thing you can do with the spear is stab/overhead/throw it. This means that you can’t use slash or alt slash.

The slash and alt slash would be given to the shield as a primary attack. If you slashed, the Spartan would swing his shield into the enemy in a horizontal motion. While if you shield bash, the shield would go straight on into the enemy, disabling their block, pretty much exactly how it is in the current live game.

If I remember correctly from History class, the Spartans used their shield just as much as they used their main weapon, so taking an attack away from the main weapon and giving it a shield would be a very interesting aspect of the game.

Balancing the damage output would probably only work if the shield slash attacks would be fast, do little damage, and have a flinch time a little slower than an 1 handed weapon but faster than a 2 handed weapon. If the spartans have a fast shield bash that does a decent flinch time, the spear attacks need to be slower compared to the shield.

Note: This analysis would only be balanced if Spartans could not take off their shield. This is just an idea that could be a very interesting aspect to the Spartans.

Edit: A certain goat informed me that Spartans are built similarly to this currently, but when I tested it out at PAX, the keybinds were fucked to the point that lmb was stab, and there was no shield bash for me. But there are still differences I need to discuss with him :D

• @CRUSHED:

bringing realism into chivalry, and especially deadliest warrior

its a game

however shields are pretty bad in this game and are kinda babymode, which is why im asking

I think the shield is the most iconic thing about Spartans, seems pretty dumb to just let them take them off because you think “it’s babymode”.

I agree shields suck but the obvious answer is to make them not suck, rather than just drop them.

• @CRUSHED:

its a game

I think the shield is the most iconic thing about Spartans, seems pretty dumb to just let them take them off because you think “it’s babymode”.

I agree shields suck but the obvious answer is to make them not suck, rather than just drop them.

• just gotta feint to kick, give’em a taste of their own medicine

• @Dr:

@CRUSHED:

its a game

thats why i asked if you CAN drop the shield, so everyone can play the way they want.

Also shields will always suck for players like me, i just dislike the fact that it takes vision from the screen, no matter how good it is. Also shouldnt be able to drop shield with main weapon anyway, just asking for the secondarys here.

• I guess you’ll have to play any other class that doesn’t use a shield instead.

• considering the main weakness of a spear vanguards were projectiles… having a shield while having immense range is pretty fucking great.

Lowers projectile threat, and at spear range is not that practical to get around a block, so feints would be more expected. Shields reduce feint threats as well.

I haven’t seen much of any other classes coming up, but this alone gives a lot of potential to spartans.