Controlling anger?

• I saw a post on reddit on controlling your rage in Chivalry and I thought of bringing it to discussion in here as well.

For me how much I rage varies, but I don’t think there’s ever been a match where I haven’t raged over something, even if just a little bit. Most of the time I’d just Alt + F4 but there are times when I want to continue playing, and consumed by all my rage, I keep dying over and over – only angering me more and leading to hateful comments (e.g. “kill yourself”, “hope you die”, “fuck you”) and well… it does make me feel bad afterwards.

Earlier today I joined a classic duel server (keep in mind, this was my first game of the day) and didn’t do very well to begin with so I was already getting a little mad. When the map restarted, I got off to a nice start-- winning my first duel since I joined. But what happened then? I was mercilessly slaughtered by some random pink MAA. I tried to vote kick on him for FFAing me but everyone voted no. There were a few people on the server that had the same symbol in front of their names so I’m assuming he joined with a couple friends. He also won the previous game so no one must have suspected him.

Angered, I tried to hunt him down to “even out the situation” but I died every time and what really knocked me out of all my senses was when he turned around 180 degrees, crouched, looked up and killed me with an overhead. With his tiny axe. I’ve seen knights and other classes do this but a MAA? You can only imagine how mad I was, especially since he kept spamming laugh as he dismembered my corpse. So what do I do? I slammed my fists on my desk as hard as I could, sending my coffee cup in the air and spilling it all over my shirt. Somehow the impact almost knocked over my computer as well so my monitor kind of blacked out and came back after a while. Hope I didn’t break anything.

So. The question is, how would you recommend controlling anger? Or maybe just share what makes you rage the most in Chivalry.

• Hm. Can’t say I had such rage problems, even when I was a youngling and got constantly violated by face-hugging alt-swinging MAA and feintspamming vanguards. Over time I got better and then eventually that shit got nerfed anyway. Now even when I’m playing relatively poorly I’m pretty relaxed. Maybe you should drink less coffee.

• @dudeface:

Hm. Can’t say I had such rage problems, even when I was a youngling and got constantly violated by face-hugging alt-swinging MAA and feintspamming vanguards. Over time I got better and then eventually that shit got nerfed anyway. Now even when I’m playing relatively poorly I’m pretty relaxed. Maybe you should drink less coffee.

I wouldn’t say coffee is the rage factor here. I only drink one or two cups per day and that’s just fine. I don’t even drink everyday. However, with only 139 hours of the game played, I still see myself as a youngling– considering how much bullshittery I die to. I’m still fairly positive that I’ll keep getting better and better and maybe one day it’ll be me that creates this bullshittery that others die to.

• Hey, I remember you from playing on some of the SM 50 slots servers (which frankly are a wretched hive of scum and villainy :P)

Part of the problem is people trolling, looking to antagonise and get a rise out of people. We often see on our own servers these charming individuals (who generally stick within the rules we set) give abuse in a general manner to many people, then once they get a response from someone, tend to concentrate their abuse there.

From many years of adminning servers, I’d like to think I have a fairly thick skin. Typically speaking I seem to be on the receiving end of abuse every single day, but frankly I just don’t let it bother me. Thats the thing about the internet, it’s faceless and for the most part, has no consequences.

The sort of people who try to provoke people in game are also the sorts that would cower in real life if someone gave them the sort of comments/threats they themselves give in game, I suppose it’s an opportunity for them to ‘feel big and manly’

Once you accept that you can generally just take crappy comments and behaviour in your stride; simply with a bit of pity to those people since they obviously lead such pathetic existences that general trouble making and abuse is what gets them off or makes them feel big.

• @Jon:

However, with only 139 hours of the game played, I still see myself as a youngling– considering how much bullshittery I die to.

In my case the bullshittery stopped at around 300 hours :D

• My therapist says therapy helps. Im not so sure though. ;-)

• As I’ve said in a similar thread, I don’t really get angry, I get whiny. But for the same reasons, and I work around it all the same.

I think the best thing anyone can do is maintain perspective. Chivalry is a game, and it’s supposed to be fun. It’s also supposed to be just a small part of your day, and an even smaller part of your life - it isn’t worth getting worked up about. I try to play in short bursts (30 mins at a time), don’t let it interfere with the rest of my day, and avoid logging in when I’m already in a bad mood.

I also admire people who beat me decisively, and laugh off the guys who have to resort to trickery to win. Those guys are out there, and I’m okay with that; as long as I expect it, I’m not overly surprised or bothered when I come across one. (By trickery I mean pretending to be afk, baiting you into switching to fists and then drawing a weapon at the last second, etc, not feinting, dragging, or using other mechanics that are actually part of the game. I don’t really feint, but I don’t overly begrudge people who do.)

I don’t measure my worth in the game, and while I do care about my skill level, I don’t measure it by my rank, KDR, or duel stats. I make a point of seeking out players who are handily better than I am and accept that I’m going to be beaten more than I’m going to win, knowing that it’s the best way to learn and get better. For the same reasons, I try not to get too comfortable in rooms where I’m already dominating over lower-ranked players. I also don’t want to be that guy who makes someone else rage. I hate seeing someone rage quit because I killed them a few times too many; it doesn’t make me feel good at all.

I also try to keep in mind that my definition of fun is not someone else’s. I like to play the objective in TO, but recognize that some people like to just goof off; that’s fine.

If what I’m doing isn’t working, I’ll switch things up. I’ll change classes, weapons, or I’ll even change rooms to play a different game mode. There’s no sense beating your head against a wall.

When in doubt, I log off and do something else. Usually I feel better in about 5 minutes, tops. Also, I find I improve more between play sessions, rather than during - I think my brain just needs the downtime to process what I’ve learned and incorporate it into my next game. When I return to Chivalry, things I learned during the last session always feel a lot more clear, more obvious, and it’s easier to make use of them.

• I have anger management issues as well :D I am not one of those who start writing shit in the chat or something, I play with a friend who is rather calm and collected in our voice chat but whines a lot in the global text chat. I’m the opposite. But I don’t rage as much anymore, I guess because I have a new and somewhat powerful gaming rig now. But one time I got so angry I actually busted my knuckle! I kind of knocked a glass with my hand, wanted to make it go flying but it exploded on impact instead and got a deep cut. That might also be a reason why I am calmer now x)

I got no advice other than to buy a punching bag and keep it near your computer, so each time you get killed and want to strangle puppies, you get up and punch the bag until you’ve respawned again. Hehe. Also, don’t play when hungry and/or sleepy. Anything can get me in a bad mood when hungry/sleepy.

• If you get angry playing Chivalry, why the fuck are you playing it? Games are for having fun. Not for raging at.

• Stickytape: When I play Chivalry, I usually play for a couple hours straight. Truthfully speaking, it becomes a pretty big part of my day. I don’t want to be the guy that makes someone else rage either and sometimes I intentionally lose to people with a lot of deaths, especially if I’m doing particularly good in that match. Maybe if they’re just starting out they’ll feel better about killing someone who’s more experienced.

SavageBeatings: I have yet to upgrade my computer as well. I need to get more CPU for sure. This computer was built in 2011 and the only upgrade I’ve made since then was upgrading to 64-bit W7 and adding more RAM. Graphics card and other stuff are still a bit outdated and some servers with a lot of players lag a lot. My monitor is fairly ancient as well. A punching bag sounds like something I could actually use… for real. Otherwise I might end up breaking something important someday, like my monitor or keybaord etc.

DDR: It is fun? That’s why I keep playing it. If it wasn’t fun, I wouldn’t. A game like that would be Dark Souls– it’s rage-inducing, difficult and definitely not fun (for me anyways). I bought it, played for an hour or two and haven’t touched it since then. Swordfighting is fun and I absolutely love anything that’s medieval-themed but any game can get on someone’s nerves sometimes. Especially a game with other players that you compete against.

• @DDR:

If you get angry playing Chivalry, why the fuck are you playing it? Games are for having fun. Not for raging at.

I don’t get mad at the game. I get mad at people who piss me off in the game. Just like I get mad at people who piss me off in real life, or people who piss me off on internet forums. It’s the same thing, just that you do it via a game instead of face-to-face.

Also, don’t you ever get mad at stuff in real life? I like to draw, drawing is fun, but sometimes I just shout “fuck it” and throw the paper in the bin because it’s not going my way. I am not punching my desk, though, for me to do that, the drawing would have to get up from the bin and be like “Look at me! Look at what you’ve done! I look horrible! Is this the best you can do? You’re a failed artist, just like Hitler! Haha, you can’t catch me! I hate you, everyone hates you! You’re adopted!”

Which would also be a very scary situation if a drawing could do that.

@Jon:

Otherwise I might end up breaking something important someday, like my monitor or keybaord etc.

Or your hand ;)

• I really need some tips for this as well. I do have one thing that I might do when I got a really sucky round though, I just pick up some vanguard weapon and go yolo against a group of enemies, not even blocking. Sometimes I actually manage to take down most of them and then I’m back to normal. But lately I’m getting a lot of swing throughs and I have no clue as to why it happens, I hit where I’m supposed to and it just doesn’t register. Been happening the last 2 days or so. <––this is pissing me off a lot. I don’t know how to control that anger properly though.

• @Jon:

I was mercilessly slaughtered by some random pink MAA. I tried to vote kick on him for FFAing me but everyone voted no. There were a few people on the server that had the same symbol in front of their names so I’m assuming he joined with a couple friends. He also won the previous game so no one must have suspected him.

His name was Pakhomoff wasn’t it? :D

• you guys are crazy. i don’t think i’ve ever raged at a video game. i usually say “wtf!” whenever i get constantly raped in game, but i realize that im only 140 hours into it and im sure if i played more i could do some of the raping, but, meh, it’s ok. i get over it and calm down the next time i log in.

"But one time I got so angry I actually busted my knuckle! I kind of knocked a glass with my hand, wanted to make it go flying but it exploded on impact instead and got a deep cut. That might also be a reason why I am calmer now x) " this made me laugh so much because when i was young i was working on my then piece of crap used car that i could afford and i couldnt get a hose to fit properly, my dad comes over and said something that just pissed me off, and i spun and hit the cedar privay fence with a well placed straight punch. my fist went through the picket, but i was pulling splinters from my bloodied knuckles for about an hour, trying not to look at my dad who just shook his head and “tsk tsk tsk’d”

• @fvonb:

His name was Pakhomoff wasn’t it? :D

Could’ve been. I can’t say for sure. I was so consumed by my rage that I didn’t really pay any attention to names. :P

Is he some sort of “known pink MAA”?

• If I ever get angry playing chiv, it’s almost always the case I haven’t used any tobacco that day. You might or might not have this same issue, but if you do, it’s pretty easy to avoid getting angry if you really want.

• I’m always the best and therefore I never get angry.

• AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!

• Signatures that contain videos make me pretty mad though.

• I broke both my mouse and head set in a rage fit. They were cheap though. I have since bought more expensive equipment and therefore have more respect for it. I also just stop playing once I’ve reached a certain rage threshold. It’s supposed to be fun so if I’m not having fun I simply log out now.