Controlling anger?

• @dudeface:

Signatures that contain videos make me pretty mad though.

you gonna cwy?

• Nah. Easier just to block you.

• Play some music and/or smoke some weed, works everytime.

Only time I get in the least bit angry is if I watch any of my teammates play. Swear to god I lose faith in humanity watching how stupid some people are in this game.

• @yayolol:

Play some music and/or smoke some weed, works everytime.

Only time I get in the least bit angry is if I watch any of my teammates play. Swear to god I lose faith in humanity watching how stupid some people are in this game.

Yeah, weed is bad for you. Also, you sound like an egoistic bad, bad person. But that’s just my opinion.

• @afiNity:

I’m always the best and therefore I never get angry.

^this is true.

• So as a game dev (not on this game) I find the allure of the game to be the highly immersive experience that can really bring out the fight or flight response. I feel as though I’m fighting for my life on the battlefield and every single time I die is a failure that could have resulted in my own death in real life.

That said, getting killed by some punk kid with ninja like reflexes who counters everything you do and attacks so fast that it seems impossible to keep up can be one thing that brings out frustration. The goal in game design is to craft experiences in which the player will always blame themselves for any failures. When you missed the block, or misjudged the reach of your opponent’s weapon and end up dead, you tend to blame yourself and are okay with it. When the situation feels completely beyond your control and that there was no possibility of victory, you tend to become frustrated and perhaps even blame the game itself.

I don’t see how the designers could account for neglected children whose limited awareness of the world means they measure success in life with success in Chivalry. I also like the fact that you can laugh at your opponents (though I don’t use it myself). Sometimes you can take advantage of an overly aggressive opponent by provoking them. Don’t be that overly aggressive opponent! When you become frustrated you’re not making logical decisions on the battlefield, you’re reacting with emotion and thus creating this feedback loop where you die -> become frustrated -> fight like someone frustrated -> die -> repeat.

• The more seriously I take the game, the more I can get frustrated and mad. Lately I think the key is to try and just have fun. It may sound cliche, but it’s true. Honestly I doubt Chivalry will ever be truly competitive. If I relax, the skill I’ve already accumulated is enough to carry me quite far indeed, and that’s fun enough. You don’t have to get upset over a loss or bad luck though. Does it change anything? Of course not. I think the problem I’ve had with this game is unless I’m on the top, I’m not having fun.

I’ve had matches where I had a negative KDR against average players at best, but a lot of that can be attributed down to your positioning, enemy archers, your teammates, etc… or maybe just a bad day. It happens. It’s just a game.

If I fail to diffuse the anger, what calms me down is going over to duels. It’s clear cut and direct. You win if you’re better, you lose if you’re not. Occasionally you get the cheapest of players in, and that doesn’t help, but overall dueling is what releases my steam. I’m just trying not to let it build up in the first place anymore.

• Laugh it off. At least he didn’t cut your head off. Stick him with the pointy end or something.

• @Jon:

@yayolol:

Play some music and/or smoke some weed, works everytime.

Yeah, weed is bad for you. Also, you sound like an egoistic bad, bad person. But that’s just my opinion.

Idiots like you believe that. Weed has been used for healing purposes for centuries, its just kids will smoke them out of blunts (tobacco paper) and wonder why they have lung problems.

• Inhaling any kind of smoke can’t be good for you. Marijuana itself isn’t bad though, and can even have health boosting properties. I never can get around the idea of smoking it though. Smoking anything just makes no sense at all. It’s smoke…

• Mod

@Jon:

…how would you recommend controlling anger? Or maybe just share what makes you rage the most in Chivalry.

Play either comical relief music or action packed soundtracks. Select Mute All for chat so you wont see any of the nonsense spoken while you play and keep on fighting.

And make sure to perspective everything and enjoy your wins more than grieve over your losses.
    In gaming, unlike in real life, history is written by the losers, who complain and make things change / adapt by finding their own workarounds techniques and tactics.

Good luck.

• I’ve tried to make myself less angry by just appreciating things in their own rights.

If I am constantly tanned by the same MAA, rather than getting really annoyed I just try my best to respect his fighting prowess.
    If I am chasing an archer, who does nothing but parry my attacks until his friends get behind me and stripe me up, I try my best to respect their kinship and ability to look out for one another.

But by god do I get angry at things when they turn out wrong. If I am killed by an attack that I clearly parried, I have nothing to respect, hence anger. The other day I got so angry that I tried to bite my own desk, but finding it far too low down to bite, I proceeded to bash my hands on the desk. However, considering it was 5am, I couldn’t do that without waking everyone up, so I just sort of… sat there, vibrating with anger and teeth clenched.

Yeah, anger happens.

• @Ma:

so I just sort of… sat there, vibrating with anger and teeth clenched.

You sir, have just given me some vivid imagery that has made my day. Laughed my head off in a lecture and got some strange looks but oh my days it was worth it.

• I had a experience today with MaA…
    It was not a good one, and I ended up losing my cool.
    When MaA dodges out of stun 5 times in 1 duel when you’re using messer knight… It’s not fun.
    I hope you all never experience this.
    It was the most frustrating fight I had ever had in this game.
    I wanted to punch a kitten.

The lesson here… You don’t want to have the urge to punch kittens.
    I think 90% of the anger in this game would be removed if MaA were taken out of the game xD
    Deadliest Warriorrrrr come sooner <3 I want a MaA-less game <3

• @Meow:

I had a experience today with MaA…
    When MaA dodges out of stun 5 times in 1 duel when you’re using messer knight… It’s not fun.

I think 90% of the anger in this game would be removed if MaA were taken out of the game xD

As a MaA player, I don’t dodge out of stun because of etiquette. It’s a bug and highly impolite to do. If you’re playing MaA and are thick enough to get your stam drained you should take the hit and probs die. However, the point of MaA is to be an expert duellist. That’s his support role. You’re pretending now like there won’t be a MaAesque class in Dealdiest warrior. I predict there will be not 1 but 2 super quick, low damage fighters. Enjoy that.

• There’s an understanding that everyone sometimes isn’t performing at their fullest potential at some point (not exactly a profound statement, I know, but true) God forbid someone want to just have fun and not look at their KDR. Honestly, I never thought I would be part of whatever competitive scene chivalry has (if it has one anymore). I hated that shit; I hated clans ( I still do a bit). I had a love for the game when I first joined Park Rangers, a non competitive clan, and I’m beginning to experience that again; perhaps because the competitive scene is dying. Park Rangers was what this game was all about, just collecting heads with some friends in a pub. I’m a competitive person ( with everything sadly), and “competing” in chivalry brought out the worst in me. :(

Also, I wanna meet the devs of my favorite game. If that means going to pax 2014, so be it.

Edit: I also made a Chivalry Anger Management group about a month or so ago, just as a joke lul. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/232322323

ONE LAST THING. I don’t want the chivalry competitive scene to die (or what’s left of it). I’ve had a lot of fun being a part of it, despite how frustrating it can be.

• @Meow:

You don’t play Maa anymore?

• @Meow:

inb4 ninja class in deadliest warrior with dodge

• @rumpelstiltskin:

inb4 ninja class in deadliest warrior with dodge

Lmao XD