High ping players wrecking up the servers

• Late every night here in Australia, without fail the local populated servers on the east coast start filling up with players with pings ranging from 200-500. Maybe these players have never played an online game before, I’m not sure; but some poor sucker ends up taking the time to start vote kicking them all; only to have replacement high ping players from Europe, The Americas, Asia etc. connecting and starting the whole process all over again. These players obviously don’t know what the fuck and end up doing loads of team damage and otherwise warp around achieving little.

Maybe Torn Banner could fix the server browser to default to local servers or only display servers under 100 ping. Alternatively, have a big message pop up when you open the server browser explaining how pings work.

• Same problem in Singapore. It’s terrible. There have been countless threads about this though.

• Here on USW/USC server we have similar issues. But it’s more like 200-300 ping will be half the players sometimes.

There really isn’t an easy fix for this, there isn’t any fix that won’t have some side effect. Region locking would be a bad choice to voluntarily make for the specific purpose of dealing with player latency. Such a suggestion I see occasionally on forums for other games as well, but It’s been my experience that people that usually make such a request are the same people that make requests to disallow private servers because of server admins that choose to cheat.

The thing is, if people are joining a Chiv game with 450 ping, chances are most of them didn’t have better options.

There isn’t any choice TBS can make to fix this issue that would satisfy everybody, there isn’t any choice they could make that wouldn’t cause a large group of people to complain or stop playing if they went through with such a decision.

• There are a few things they could do. The server browser doesn’t even sort by ping by default, which it should IMHO. I have made this recommendation many times, but in addition to sorting by ping, the browser should make it more clear through visual cues which servers are high ping (e.g. 450ms) and which ones are good (35ms). I would go so far as to have the filter set at 200ms by default, too.

Honestly, most of the laggers are just completely oblivious. When I tell them the server is in singapore they’re like, “WHAT, THAT’S DUMB LOL”.

• I don’t think its the players fault. I also agree the servers should be sorted by ping, or maybe just have the player select a game mode and just automatically put them into the best server. You would have to have the option to create groups and stuff so friends could play together.

I’ve also noticed that my ping can be high sometimes on servers that its usually very low on so I dunno…

• Color scheme is the best suggestion I’ve heard so far. It would make it much more obvious to people when they go to join a server.

• I often go on mass kicking sprees. Though I usually try and do it where I won’t auto balance the teams.

Its really annoying when half of agatha is over 200 as the highest ping on the mason side is 104. People don’t like getting autobalanced. So I try not to admin kick them all at once.

If they are spread more or less evenly then I’ll kick them. It looks quite funny on the battlefield for people. Players having sudden heart attacks. As when you kick them they die.

• We have an auto-ping kicker, it’s currently set to 10 thresholds of 300 although we are looking at reducing this (just gotta keep an eye out for ping spikes)

• It would be really good if the game did something to help players select a server with a better ping (especially the absolute bare minimum of sorting by ping by default) - but it does surprise me (in every online game, not just Chivalry) that a lot of players don’t seem to understand the concept of lag at all :(

• We really need a working autokick option for servers so that you can set autokick for anyone with a ping 200ms and over.

• I notice a lot more players joining servers where their ping is high lately. The problem is that the population on some servers, especially in certain regions, have begun to take a hit. People start up Chiv, filter the browser to list servers according to ping and find that there aren’t any servers with low pings for them that are being played. They still want to play so they end up joining a server that’s not in their region which gives them a high ping. That’s my theory anyway.

• @lemonater47:

I often go on mass kicking sprees. Though I usually try and do it where I won’t auto balance the teams.

Its really annoying when half of agatha is over 200 as the highest ping on the mason side is 104. People don’t like getting autobalanced. So I try not to admin kick them all at once.

If they are spread more or less evenly then I’ll kick them. It looks quite funny on the battlefield for people. Players having sudden heart attacks. As when you kick them they die.

Are we allowed to just adminkick high pings on GON? I thought all we could do is issue a request “anyone with over 200 ping please find a server closer to you” but I agree that adminkick is a much easier way to do it.
    @Sidewinder:

I notice a lot more players joining servers where their ping is high lately. The problem is that the population on some servers, especially in certain regions, have begun to take a hit. People start up Chiv, filter the browser to list servers according to ping and find that there aren’t any servers with low pings for them that are being played. They still want to play so they end up joining a server that’s not in their region which gives them a high ping. That’s my theory anyway.

Yeah I was about to say the same thing, wasn’t as much of an issue a few months ago when the servers were full but player population has gone down again :(

If these high pingers would just join a local server and wait around to try and populate it then it wouldn’t be such a problem.

• @dudeface:

There are a few things they could do. The server browser doesn’t even sort by ping by default, which it should IMHO. I have made this recommendation many times, but in addition to sorting by ping, the browser should make it more clear through visual cues which servers are high ping (e.g. 450ms) and which ones are good (35ms). I would go so far as to have the filter set at 200ms by default, too.

Honestly, most of the laggers are just completely oblivious. When I tell them the server is in singapore they’re like, “WHAT, THAT’S DUMB LOL”.

This sounds like the best idea. I also feel that the majority of these high ping folks don’t have a clue they have a horrible ping.

Back in my day I was playing games on a 28.8k modem and you had a config file for every game you played to tweak your ping and everything else. These young whipper snappers today don’t seem to have the internet smarts. Get off my lawn!