How to increase activity on my FFA server?

• So I’ve been running a server for a while now called DDR’s FFA Server. You may or may not have seen it around or played on it before. I currently have archers completely disabled on it and the player limit is 12. Every other class is also limited to 5 max to prevent the entire server being full of one class. Here is a link to recent server activity:

http://imgur.com/cFu0vtY,vMExu7a

I was wondering how to obtain a higher average player count and retain it. Increase the player limit? Redo the map rotation? Re-enable archers? Have more admins?

Would be great to get some help with this. Feel free to ask me questions as well.

• FFA is a trciky mode to keep populated. It’s the fastest to get started, but also the fastest to lose players since there’s no reason to stay to the end of round (unlike TO which is a pain to get started, but tends to stay filled once it’s going)

I know it’s a pain, but using the likes of gametracker/game-monitor/b3 to track server population and map will help determine the most popular maps (then start the server on this). For FFA something like Moor or Arena are probably good bets.

I think having archers tends to outbalance not having them in FFA. Archers tend to be hated on maps where they can camp somewhere and snipe (Hillside TO for example) but tend to just be easy targets on FFA

Having friendly non-power tripping admins online often is always good. It sets the server aside and tends to make people bookmark them. When I started my own server used to struggle to fill them most nights, now then tend to fill up even when I’m not online (and often with regular players)

Anyway, hope the server goes well for you :)

• Increase the player amount to 16. 12 feels empty on every map bar arena. The. Increase the class limit to 6 to compensate.

• @lemonater47:

Increase the player amount to 16. 12 feels empty on every map bar arena. The. Increase the class limit to 6 to compensate.

This.

16 does appear to just about right for FFA. We tried 24 and 32 for a while but for some reason 16 is the magic number.