When to use the Shortbow?

• Thread title.
    So pretty new to Chivalry but I’ve played enough and read/watched enough to get the general idea between all the different weapons in the Archers arsenal. The longbow/shortbow are confusing me a bit though. I can’t quite figure out in what scenario they are preferred over the Warbow/Xbows.

I’ve been enjoying the shortbow specifically a bit, I like the more mobile playstyle, but I keep finding myself using the light xbow instead. If I’m directly behind my front line I’m relatively safe just reloading the light xbow, minimizing the advantage gained by the more mobile shortbow. Plus the light xbow seems better on the off chance I absolutely have to deal with Heavy Xbow/Warbow Archers on the enemy team.

I’d say that the Shortbow would excel in a 1v1 scenario but the ability to shotgun somebody with the Light Xbow and start the fight off in my advantage seems to be pretty strong in itself.

Obviously I haven’t played all that much, so I’m hoping somebody with a bit more experience then me can help explain the advantages to using the Shortbow over the other ranged weapons and what those scenarios would be.

• I dunno. Light xbow is the only bow I ever use. It’s fun.

• Shortbow isn’t a weapon that’s generally favoured by many, however it does have it’s uses. It makes a decent enough support weapon when you are firing into oncoming enemies, not specifically to kill but to weaken/interrupt them for your melee classes to finish them off.

Useful in organised games, less so in public matches. Although you could argue the faster fire-rate also helps people hone their general archery skills too

• @MonkeyFiend:

Shortbow isn’t a weapon that’s generally favoured by many, however it does have it’s uses. It makes a decent enough support weapon when you are firing into oncoming enemies, not specifically to kill but to weaken/interrupt them for your melee classes to finish them off.

Useful in organised games, less so in public matches. Although you could argue the faster fire-rate also helps people hone their general archery skills too

Yeah I actual had that same idea earlier today. Noticed how a lot of my shots would enable kills for my teammates due to the flinch, which did get me quite a few assists. Shame it’s all on pubbies though. :|
    Trying to get my friends into Chiv, not much success even though I bought them all copies, those ungrateful peasants.

Ironically, outisde of MAA, enemy Archers tend to be the biggest pain in my butt when running that little bow.

• use it when the opponents barely got any archers, might as well use the longbow then because it’s awesome with bodkins.

• Get a buddy on shortbow as well so you guys can work in tandem. Shortbow squads are some of the most fun games I’ve had in Chivalry! Calling out who to fire at and just laying down rapid fire is all sorts of satisfaction and giddiness.

• In FFA.

But you have to be admin. Otherwise people try and kick you from the server.

• I hardly arch anymore since the patch (for some reason my aim is crap now), but the shorty is my preferred archer weapon. I use a crossbow or a warbow for counter-sniping, but I much prefer to target melee classes at short-range with the shortbow. The low damage and piddly bowstring sound effect may put people off, but it brings 3 things to the table:

1. Consistent pressure: the long drawtime of the warbow, and reload times of the crossbows means that once you’ve fired, your target has a second or two of free time to use to either close on you or attack your melee ally without worrying too much about you. The shortbow’s short draw time puts more consistent pressure on them, making them worry about positioning or raise their shield rather than attack.

2. More flinches: the flinch can be as deadly as the actual damage in that it opens the opponent up to your melee ally’s attacks, screws up their timing, and can trigger a little panic in less experienced players.

3. Still enough damage to finish off the wounded: shooting a badly damaged opponent with a heavy x-bow is a waste. If you’re firing into melee, chances are your target is already hurt, or will be shortly, and your little cupid’s arrow will be enough to finish the deed.

It almost qualifies as a 4th point, but you aren’t going to do much damage to allies if you accidentally hit them, too. You shouldn’t be hitting them anyway, but pobody’s nerfect.

And maybe this is just me, but I find the higher rate of fire keeps my aim a little more accurate.

Knights are the best partners for this, I find. They’re durable, often have shields on their backs which lowers the chance that you’ll damage them by mistake, and their weapons deal big damage, making the flinches you cause quite worth it. Their slow speed also makes them easy to avoid with your shots, and easier to keep up with after a kill. Lastly, they don’t have that much reach, so if the enemy foolishly charges you instead, you aren’t in that much danger of getting TKed while you carve your opponent up in a 2v1.

I mostly play knight these days, and I love having a good archer buddy with me. <3 to all you archers out there.

• Mod

@stickytape:

…Knights are the best partners for this…I mostly play knight these days,…

Lets team up D:

• I used to not see the point in the light version of any archer weapons untill they slowed down the heavy crossbow bolt. I used to love the heavy xbow because i could always 1 hit kill other archers. Now that they nefed the speed i keep aiming low and getting foot-shots. With the long reload its not realy viable to me if im not 1-shotting archers anymore.

• You don’t. Take warbow.

• The Sling is the King of support!
    Shortbow’s just to slow. :|

• @Rodelero:

The Sling is the King of support!
    Shortbow’s just to slow. :|

So close to making that rhyme :P

Sling is great for interrupts, but is a bit lacking in power. Shortbow is a decent compromise - can still take out injured people and gives plenty of supporting interrupts

• @Tizoc:

Obviously I haven’t played all that much, so I’m hoping somebody with a bit more experience then me can help explain the advantages to using the Shortbow over the other ranged weapons and what those scenarios would be.

The only time I take it is to interrupt people on the battering ram from the window while avoiding mason archers.