Flail Punch/Stab

• I never really gave much thought to the flail. In beta it was a broken monster of death, when released it was a pitiful shadow of its former self, then it slowly got patched up and up since then. I picked it up this evening and did poorly with it (as expected), but then I discovered a phenomenal move: the punch.

I main javelins, and believe me when I say I envy the punching arm of the flail knight. The archer’s punch barely goes anywhere and is incapable of hitting all that much without actively running into your opponent. The knight’s punch stretches much farther and is a viable way of opening up your combo and keeping your rhythm varied. It’s crazy how much flexibility it gives the weapon! I love it, I wish javelins could use it, but then I’d feel more broken than I already do.

Thoughts? I still don’t feel the real differences between the two flails, but tonight that falcon punch has done me well and I am definitely experimenting with this thing this weekend!

• @dilbadil:

Thoughts? I still don’t feel the real differences between the two flails, but tonight that falcon punch has done me well and I am definitely experimenting with this thing this weekend!

In TO, heavy flail is generally better simply because the higher damage per attack has a higher likelihood of finishing off a wounded enemy. In all other modes, I prefer the light flail for its speed.
    The falcon punch with the buckler goes around parries like the Norse sword stab, especially if you punch to the side of your enemy and then drag it into them. I’ve beaten enemies to death with the shield punch just like I would using a dagger (no feints, just timing the quick stab attack to mess them up hard with some very rapid movements to simulate the attack). Takes roughly 4 hits depending on class, or two stabs and one overhand usually does enough.

• Mod

I do agree about all of this.
    I think there should be a little more definition between the light and heavy flail. I don’t think the speed difference is that notable to have any reason to go with the light one at the moment.

I think its greatly underestimated.
    Flail is an epic weapon. But one of my main beefs is that your running animation is just a sped up walking animation- this helps me identify flail knights around the map and single them out with certain classes.

• @dilbadil:

I wish javelins could use it, but then I’d feel more broken than I already do.

There would be more tears on this forum than the MaA thread.

• I just wish I didn’t have to use a Buckler with the Flail. I get owned by MAA when using the buckler so have to switch to my Norse Sword with no buckler up to compete.

• I’ve beaten enemies to death with the shield punch just like I would using a dagger (no feints, just timing the quick stab attack to mess them up hard with some very rapid movements to simulate the attack). Takes roughly 4 hits depending on class, or two stabs and one overhand usually does enough.

Hey, I love the heavy flail myself, have you tried stab + dragged overhead + alt overhead. This combo works well for me every time.

• Just revisited the flail & warhammer + kite shield today in Interitus duels…
    absolutely slaughtered even the best of players with it. Not sure why I was on such a roll with it. Those shield punches are vicious, and the weapon has an excellent drag to it.