2 Questions about Chivalry:BfA

• As the title states, I have two questions about Shields in Chivalry.

It’s been asked before I believe, but I want to bring it back up. Will active blocking be in Chivalry? (So that even if you do not have the block button held down wherever the shield is, it will block an incoming arrow or sword attack.)
    In AoC I used to get killed alot because my enemy would swing right as I let the block button go and it would damage me even though the shield is still in front of me. Will this be addressed?

My second question. Will the player be able to shield rush, or shield-butt your enemy to throw them off balance or even do damage depending on the type of shield?

• i sure hope so

• i think ages ago it was mentioned that shield “pushing” may be a way to defeat turtles, i’m not sure if they’re still working on that idea though

• Developer

At this point in development, shields are planned to work as follows:

Passive Blocking (block even when idle) - Will be in effect for projectiles only. We feel that melee combat would be negatively impacted by passively blocking shield, especially when dealing with large amounts of players fighting at once.

Shield Bash - You will be able to perform a “Shield bash” which will be an unblockable move causing low damage and pushing the enemy back (also opening him up if he was blocking).

Players without shields will be able to perform a similar maneuver…

• yay, shield bash

• Sounds great. Thanks Tibbs.

• I feel like passive blocking even for projectiles would be a bad thing, myself. Honestly in AoC it was so easy to deal with an archer past mid-range that the class as a whole became rarely used by serious teams outside of the Javelineer because they had such strong melee potential. Passive blocking would just be detracting from the skill requirement of the game in my eyes.

• Developer

I would agree that its a potential hazard Slygoat. But I feel that because, for projectiles, the shields will block their actual physical size and not the entire front, that it will address both of those issues. Archers can still be dangerous from moderate to long ranges against shield classes, but only if they are able to land more precise shots. While the passive blocking element may introduce more chance into some equations, we feel that the shields representing their physical size for projectiles will help to offset that issue and that the two systems will mesh well together.

• @SlyGoat:

I feel like passive blocking even for projectiles would be a bad thing, myself. Honestly in AoC it was so easy to deal with an archer past mid-range that the class as a whole became rarely used by serious teams outside of the Javelineer because they had such strong melee potential. Passive blocking would just be detracting from the skill requirement of the game in my eyes.

A WILD SLYGOAT APPEARS.

• @Circle:

A WILD SLYGOAT APPEARS.

lies.

• @SlyGoat:

@Circle:

A WILD SLYGOAT APPEARS.

lies.

Pics or it didn’t happen.