Roman class. How about make the community make it.

• The assets, models and textures anyway.

People want Romans in the new game right you probably don’t has the manpower to do it right now. The community is full of modellers and map makers. A bunch of us can do the weapons and shield. You can probably find someone good enough to use your skeleton to make a roman model and texture it. If he can’t texture it there is probably someone else skilled enough to do the textures. And you can get at least 2 helmets from it.

All for free. People would be glad to have their own models in the game. You could even get someone todo the voice acting. As long as they have a good condenser microphone and a good space to record in.

It doesn’t have to be all completed by the release of the game. But will give some people something to do in the mean time. And there being no Romans sorta pissed some people off.

People can test ther weapons in the beta as there are ways of importing them in. Just give us the specifications.

You might need to animate it though. You might find a good animator or 2 out there. But animating takes a while.

• Totally agree.

There’s already a guy on the forums who has modelled the Roman shield (Scutum) and Gladius.
    http://www.tornbanner.com/forums/viewto … =51&t=6058

They’ve already got the Pilum (heavy Javelin). Wouldn’t be too hard.

I suppose they would need special ability, maybe the pilum could disable shields (as it did http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilum) or they could hold their shield above their head testudo style (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testudo_formation).

• Lol testudo. Push a button and he raises his shield.

I was thinking maybe just a stamina buff. Or they take less of a stamina penalty with their shield.

• How about a special ability “group discipline” where you get a slight stamina increase for every roman ally near you. Then a group of Romans in formation get a significant bonus.

• I was thinking something like… the special thing with the Roman would be his very defensive role, and his shield is a very big part of that. I’m thinking things like being immune to stun daze from kicks when he has the shield raised. Or that he loses less stamina from hits on his shield than other classes. Or that he can chain stab attacks and raise his shield back up again really fast. Or that he can completely hide behind the shield, so from the front, archers will barely even be able to hit his feet.

I dunno if any of those are good, or variations/combinations thereof.

If it’s too overpowered, I guess he could be slower when he has his shield raised. So he’s like a slowly-approaching threat that is hard to take out at range, and in melee he constantly ducks back behind his big shield between stabs with his gladius. He also gets 1-2 throwing spears, which could disable other peoples’ shields when hit with them, that was a good idea.

I’m thinking a Roman advancing with the shield up would look something like this:

• He looks so bored!

• @dudeface:

He looks so bored!

• I was thinking gladiator; and with it, the coliseum.

• @parkrangerstan:

I was thinking gladiator; and with it, the coliseum.

A slave given a couple of weapons and training consisting of someone explaining what you do with the pointy end?

Nah.

Gladiators wouldn’t stand a chance.

A roman soldier would be better.

• @lemonater47:

@parkrangerstan:

A slave given a couple of weapons and training consisting of someone explaining what you do with the pointy end?

Nah.

What history have you read?

Gladiators are more than slaves given a couple of weapons and thrown into an arena. Gladiators are very expensive investments and therefore the sponsors and the fighting school don’t like having them killed. Therefore they should have recieved sufficient training, even if their purpose is to give people good entertainment and therefore they didn’t outright to try to kill eachother, just wound eachother. Actually, most gladiators didn’t die in the arena. Because having a good and expensive gladiator killed would be like losing, I dunno, Brad Pitt in a fight. Fans wouldn’t like that, and you’d lose money.

Then of course there were convicted criminals and other scum thrown into the arena to fight beasts. The point of that was just having them executed in an entertaining manner. But those weren’t gladiators.

Edit: Though I agree that roman legionary would be better, since he’s got a military training and a standard set of equipment. But that doesn’t mean gladiators were bad warriors.

• @SavageBeatings:

@lemonater47:

@parkrangerstan:

Nah.

What history have you read?

Gladiators are more than slaves given a couple of weapons and thrown into an arena. Gladiators are very expensive investments and therefore the sponsors and the fighting school don’t like having them killed. Therefore they should have recieved sufficient training, even if their purpose is to give people good entertainment and therefore they didn’t outright to try to kill eachother, just wound eachother. Actually, most gladiators didn’t die in the arena. Because having a good and expensive gladiator killed would be like losing, I dunno, Brad Pitt in a fight. Fans wouldn’t like that, and you’d lose money.

Then of course there were convicted criminals and other scum thrown into the arena to fight beasts. The point of that was just having them executed in an entertaining manner. But those weren’t gladiators.

Edit: Though I agree that roman legionary would be better, since he’s got a military training and a standard set of equipment. But that doesn’t mean gladiators were bad warriors.

The gladiators that survived became the expensive ones.

• Actually most Gladiators survived their fights. As he said, they rarely died in the arena. It would usually be fought until a clear yield, and they both part ways. To even get them to where they were, a lot of money was poured into training them, so I think discounting them as just slaves with swords might be a bit rash. I definitely think a Gladiator can stand up to most classes here, hell they were on Deadliest Warrior after all.

• As much as I love legionaires, they offer nothing new gameplay wise. Of course, if the class comes for free because the community makes it, I will welcome it, but considering the size on TBS, if they wanted to release a new class it would need to have unique gameplay, and I think with the gladiator they can achieve just that.

• @Wingy:

As much as I love legionaires, they offer nothing new gameplay wise. Of course, if the class comes for free because the community makes it, I will welcome it, but considering the size on TBS, if they wanted to release a new class it would need to have unique gameplay, and I think with the gladiator they can achieve just that.

It was the second most popular class after Viking.

A heavy short sword class. There isn’t one in the game. High health short range and low damage. Though you could give him a spear if you want. A one handed 7 foot one. Longer than the dory but used the same way only slower.

He could have about 4 sword. Though 3 so you don’t double up a weapon.

Then you can have a dagger.

And if course the Pilum. A medium 5 foot one. And you have 2 of them.

Gladiators are equipped similarly though without the shield and they have light or no armour. Again a gladius or spear/trident. And that’s about it. Sometimes they had a scutum or Etruscan shield. But what would their range be?

They look widely different from each other but in terms of weapons they used the same ones each.

• @lemonater47:

Gladiators are equipped similarly though without the shield and they have light or no armour. Again a gladius or spear/trident. And that’s about it. Sometimes they had a scutum or Etruscan shield. But what would their range be?

They look widely different from each other but in terms of weapons they used the same ones each.

Gladiators have different fighting roles, different tactics and techniques they are trained at, different weapon loadouts. So it might be hard to pick one. I think most people would like a gladiator with a trident and a net, Retiarius is the name of that type of gladiator. And while I agree it would be unique and different from the other classes in what he can do… the retiarius is the lowest standing gladiator rank! Haha! Apparently it was fun watching him miss his net and then have his trident broken in the middle and watch him run for his life. Ok, just kidding, though that probably happened.

Retiarii were mostly put into fights against Secutores, since both these “classes” were specifically trained to fight eachother. The Secutor is a more armoured guy with a sword and a shield, still pretty naked though, like all gladiators, because their purpose is to bleed for their fans. Anyways, a Secutor looks cooler and could probably take on the other classes better than a retiarius. Retiarii are more like the ninjas, really. They are the lightest class, they throw a net over their opponent to entangle them and then circle around and stab with the trident. Pretty much what the ninja can do with his black eggs and bo staff. The Secutor would be like a less armoured Spartan - shield and short sword.

Anyways, they look cool

• @lemonater47:

@Wingy:

As much as I love legionaires, they offer nothing new gameplay wise. Of course, if the class comes for free because the community makes it, I will welcome it, but considering the size on TBS, if they wanted to release a new class it would need to have unique gameplay, and I think with the gladiator they can achieve just that.

A heavy short sword class. There isn’t one in the game. High health short range and low damage. Though you could give him a spear if you want. A one handed 7 foot one. Longer than the dory but used the same way only slower.

A guy with a shield, a shortsword and a throwing spear sounds very similar to the spartan.

• If you give that guy a huge towershield it wouldn’t.

• @Wingy:

@lemonater47:

@Wingy:

A guy with a shield, a shortsword and a throwing spear sounds very similar to the spartan.

Its a big shield.

Romans also used a broadsword. Became standard after 100AD I think.

You could get 4 swords, a dagger, 2 different javs and a 7 foot spear wielded underarm. And the javs would be underarm too.

And there’s your variation. More than the spartan. And a different way of using his spears.

• Also Romans are too badass to leave out.

• @zombojoe:

Also Romans are too badass to leave out.

Exactly.

And who says we can’t have gladiators and Romans. Torn banner can do anything.

And Brian Blessed can be the voice actor.