Archers in FFA

• Is it really that fun? Yeah ok, if you are a good archer then it’s definitely fun. But not for the people getting shot in the middle of good fights. Really, I am yet to find an incentive to play anything but classic duels because I die 90% of the time to archers shooting me from across the map during a fight. A cluster of enemies swinging swords about frantically is what makes it intense, not getting shot by someone that isn’t even in immediate danger. It is, in a way, very unbalanced. I’m thinking archers should have a hard-coded limit across all ffa maps which I think would balance it. This may be a harsh nerf for archers, but it’s how it should be imo. Maybe even an independent damage decrease just for archery in FFA would be good, maybe -25% overall or even -50% overall. Think about it. More people will actually want to use melee weapons rather than a bow and arrow, and still have the choice to choose either one. I think this would be a good way to balance out the gameplay. Archers should not be the deciding force on FFA. I’d rather die to feints than to an archer, because it’s alot easier counter those.

• But they’re such easy prey.

It’s pretty fun though. Hard to survive in FFA as an archer depending on the map.

• @Luc0z:

But not for the people getting shot in the middle of good fights.

Huh?

But you are ok with a vanguard running up and killing both of you?

• Yeah FFA is like, the place where you get whacked from behind most often. Vulture mode. Archers have as much right to a good vulturin’ as any other.

• never really seen archers do good in FFA.

• Who plays FFA anyway

• Archers don’t have to do well to be annoying… lmao. I’m ranting about this because you people seem to think it’s impossible to have a server with what, 7 archers and less players playing other classes? It’s annoying and deters me from even wanting to find another server. I really believe I am not the only one against this sort of gameplay.

• My only problem is that chase mechanic doesn’t work in FFA. So if the archer decides to run there is nothing I can do as a knight.

• I don’t see archers as a big problem in FFA. Their lives are usually short. If I see an archer in FFA, I always hit the “KILL THE ARCHERS” voicecommand and stop attacking melee fighters to go and kill the archers.
    Most people on EU servers hear my call and every melee fighter unites until the archers are dead.

The one thing that makes ffa so unattractive to me is: You’re having a nice fight and someone gets in, stabs you in the back, or kills both of you. (NOT ONLY VANGUARDS! That’s a stupid rumor that only vanguard do that. I see very class duing that. Archers also. They just need to do some lmb spam.)

SO I usually avoid FFA. It’s not my type of gamemodes. I like classic duel and TO.

• The archer class isn’t the easiest class to play. (Not saying any class is) but I feel its a well balanced class. Less armor versus the rest. The Javelin class in particular is my ‘go to class’ 99% of the time. After months of gameplay I can finally say I’m a formidable opponent with the Javelin.
    TB has done a good job so far in its structure of this unit.
    Although part of me doesn’t feel like an archer.
    Don’t limit any player class.
    Please.

And to anyone who feels archers are lame: If you’re in a 1vs1 against a Jav, IF his throw lands it rarely kills, so you’ve got to be struck several more times. He’s got to be agile, quick to react. You simply have to get close and bash/kick.
    Try it for yourself if you don’t believe me.
    Play as the JAV.
    Until you’re able to be leader of the board as a Javelin you won’t understand.
    Just try it. I dare you.
    And you’ll see how rewarding just 1 kill can be.

With love,

Baron Von Bug Duck

• @Hansinluck:

And to anyone who feels archers are lame: If you’re in a 1vs1 against a Jav, IF his throw lands it rarely kills, so you’ve got to be struck several more times.

Only class any javelin doesn’t have 1htk potential on is the knight, and even then they still do a large amount of damage. As someone who plays jav “99% of the time” surely you should know this.

• @LTTLWLF:

@Hansinluck:

And to anyone who feels archers are lame: If you’re in a 1vs1 against a Jav, IF his throw lands it rarely kills, so you’ve got to be struck several more times.

Only class any javelin doesn’t have 1htk potential on is the knight, and even then they still do a large amount of damage. As someone who plays jav “99% of the time” surely you should know this.

Yes, ‘One hit kill’ if you land a head-shot. A landed jav on the torso of a vanguard still does not kill him.
    If you’re unseen by the target - then yes. You inflict more damage, but this is with all archer class.
    Only if you’re unseen.

Again, just try playing as the Javelin for more than one round.
    Maybe its just me, but it took me quite some time to ‘get good at’.
    I was dying constantly, but after days worth of gameplay I am a worth adversary. :fenc:

• Give the archers the zweiwander and give maa the brandistock and they are good and ready for ffa,people lets promote this idea xD

• It’s not that Archers have overpowered arrows/bolts (they have indeed) but they should only be usable as support in TO maps. Or they should have LIMITED arrows which is why Javelineers are welcome in FFA unlike Bow/CrossBow users.

• archers dont need any more nerfs man comon, they are the weakest class out there and you chop them down in 1 hit with your ridicolous 9 ft sword, but yet the archers need a nerf lol.

you can kick an archer and chop him down, yet he cant even kick and shoot his bow.
    if you flinch him he doesnt have enough time to switch weps to block your second attack if he sumhow survives the first.

should have LIMITED arrows which is why Javelineers are welcome in FFA unlike Bow/CrossBow users.

very false statement. javs can be picked up but arrows cant right now.
    he cannot pick up any ammo off any one he kills with any arrows, new bug from 2 patches ago.

Again, just try playing as the Javelin for more than one round.
    Maybe its just me, but it took me quite some time to ‘get good at’.

well thats because tb gives you no ammo to play with, 4 javs is a joke, it would take any one forver to get good with that low of an ammo count.

yet you want him nerfed lol get sum skill man and quit trying to make the game suck even more.

• I got limited arrows when picking a bow…

And in FFA the main problem Archers have is that they need to check their surroundings and make sure to stay away from trouble (otherwise they just get a downgrade to weak MaA). If Vanguards are like lions (pouncing their prey and overwhelming it by sheer force), Knights like rhinos (slow but tough and angry) and Men at Arms like wolves (running around ambushing weakened prey) then Archers are like deer (elusive and paranoid).

• Ever done 32 player arena FFA archer only.

I’ve stumbled upon one of our servers where everyone decided to do that. And if you weren’t archer you would be dead in 2 seconds.

Also the only acceptable melee was fists.

• I agree to some respect that archers in FFA are a pain in the ass, the fact that they can score hits without being anywhere near the fighting puts them at a huge advantage.
    I’ve been playing shortbow lately to work on the 10,000 arrows achievement, and I can usually finish top 5 on any map other than the arenas, which goes to show just how potent range can be even without the ability to do crazy amounts of damage (I have to hit everything 2 or 3 times to score a kill).
    Give someone a heavy crossbow or a warbow and they can wreak utter havoc with the damage potential, it’s crazy.

• well looks like this poll sums it up archers are nerfed enough walter.

i cant believe u guys want them nerfed more, they are so weak its pathetic, and they die in 1 hit just like the maa they have been nerfed to the point of no return untill we can mod the game again.

these posts always crack me up, i think you guys forget that they broke picking up ammo off people you kill a few nerf patches ago so in ffa you only get 20 arrows a life, thats a joke.

as you run around with your 12 foot sword and slaughter them with ease but yet then you come in here and whine op when they get you, you guys act like every archer is great shot.

with 4 javs and 20 arrows you know how long it would take you to get good on a regular server, like forever so any kill you get after that is earned from getting slaughtered thousands of times by sum dumb vanguard with a 12 ft sword.

quit trying to ruin the game more with stupid ridicolous nerfs that already did enough damage to the potential of this game, let them fix the horribly unfair and wonkyness of the combat system or somthing else which needs way more attention and fixing then you getting shot by archers.

deal with it people dont run so straight and you wont get shot, very simple concept.
    if you run straight as an arrow you will die by an arrow.
    heres another one, use a sheild.

on my server i had 100 arrows and 50 javs, yet here you guys are crying over 4 javs and 20 arrows, lol.
    its just too funny really.
    i play unreal also where you can strafe jump/dodge 100’s of feet yet you guys whine ridicolously over the maa 3 ft dodge.
    i think you guys need an easyer game my friends.

• Bravo Warsaw!
    I agree with everything your saying.
    When I’m ‘dancing’ up to an archer and he nails me in the face when I’m 3 feet from him I immediately type - “nice shot!”
    If I’m cought up in some brawl with a bunch of heavies and I’m trying to poke em in the eye with my Jav only to be taken out by an archer from across the map…
    I think to myself - “damn, that must have felt good”
    I feel those of us who appreciate and respect one another are sadly a dying breed.
    I for one will not succumb to the negative ways of others and strongly urge others to stay away from becoming a troll.
    This game in particular is unbelievably enjoyable when you’re playing with a group that respects one another.

Just the other day I was in a duel server.
    I was having a bout with a mid ranked player
    (such as myself).
    He was MAA, I was Javeline.
    Needless to say I took his life with ease but always pressing ‘X-0’ when he fell. (Respect)
    He went on to call me vicious, hateful names and stated that the Javelin class should not even be in duels. Said that it was a “cheap” class that only n00bs play…
    To my surprise those who replied agreed with this foul mouthed individual.
    Understand I was in hand to hand combat when his life fell at the end of my Javelin or shield.
    (It’s not like I was getting these kills from throwing only. I wish!)
    I’ve come to realize the ones who get mad cannot believe they were just killed by an archer and commence hate against them.

I can’t understand why anyone who plays this game has difficulty respecting every class.
    My only reply to the hateful MAA player and his ‘friends’ is the same I say to anyone who thinks the same as he - play as a javelin class…or archer… Not for just one round. Play as one. Take time. If you find that it’s a “cheap” class to play I can GARANTEE you’ll keep playing it. (ESPECIALLY IN FFA)
    But I’m certain the opposite will happen, you’ll have the hardest time killing anything and you’ll have your soft skull crushed by the heaviest, hardest hammer all to often.
    You’ll come up with something to tell yourself why you should go back to your comfortable class with all it’s armor.
    If that happens you can NEVER talk trash about archers again.
    End of story.

My hope is you would learn to respect the class.
    The only reason I only play as Javelin is because it’s HARD.
    (Although I’m beginning to really fall in love with it because it seems so many people hate it.)
    It’s a challenge that I’m slowly getting better at.
    Chivalry is a great game for me because it really does challenge me.
    It sickens me to see skillfull player spew trash and garbage across servers.
    They don’t realize how truly awesome they could be if they showed some respect to others.

My 2 1/2 cents.

Baron Von Moorland