Controversial spot for King in ThroneRoom

• Hi community,

So last night I had the rare opportunity to play as King on TO ThroneRoom. I decided to hide near the Agatha spawn where it’s incredibly cramped and difficult to get to me. I’ve done this once before on a small game (10 players) and the whole Mason team got to me before my teammates could. They ended up circling around me and literally beating me to death. It was actually really funny.

Last night was a bigger game (around 20 players) and I tried it again, only this time I had the cooperation of my teammates. They hung around in that same area taking out waves of masons. It was incredibly effective, although there were several times where a few masons broke through and took me down at least 50%, but they always got taken out.

Frustrated, mason players started taunting me and complaining that I was cheating for hiding in that spot. I’ll admit, it’s hard to get to the king there, but I can think of a few ways to deal with it. They had the right idea with firepots, but I only saw 1 or 2 firepots at a time, which is futile unless you back it up with a charge. I tried to explain to them if they worked as a team it wouldn’t feel so broken.

In any case, the vote kick against me reached a yes percentage of 50%. Fortunately it never got over that and we ended up winning (fairly, IMO). I just wanted to get other players’ opinions on this. This approach doesn’t make it easy for the masons, but I don’t think it’s impossible or even remotely unfair. I figure if you swarm with enough MAA and firepots, it would be cake, but most players don’t want to communicate and strategize. It feels like they just want to mindlessly run in swinging and get mad when that doesn’t work.

Anywho, just my thoughts. Let me know what you guys think. I’m not a cheap player, but if I find a better or easier way of doing something, I’m going to do it. I think I speak for most players when I say that.

Cheers :)

• You did nothing wrong. Some people can just get a little butthurt over not winning

• That spot is sure death for a king if the masons have half a brain.

• Probably should have spammed firepots instead of complaining.

• I find it easier to kill kings there. A king that’s not able to kite is usually a dead king.

• Thanks for the replies. I assumed everything you guys are saying, but I figured I’d go ahead and throw it out there.

• A king who turtles behind his mates is usually a dead man walking (or in this case, dead man crouching). With firepots available and skilled snipers who play this game, being stuck behind all your allies is a death sentence. The team you were playing against just had no collective thought process at all.

• @Morgannin09:

The team you were playing against just had no collective thought process at all.

lol

• A real king leads his men into battle!

Also as mentioned above if a few of the masons had clubbed together some firepots, they’d be raking in the kills

• You have done nothing wrong. The fact that a votekick was initiated over this (and that it got as far as 50% yes) is frankly appalling and reveals a very ugly side of this community. I am pleased to know that the votekick was ultimately not successful and that you won that game.

• Look the enemy team was retarded. Haven’t they head of fire pots and projectiles.

That is the worst spot to be in. But the enemy was retarded.

• WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!

I’m kidding……

I find that generally a King’s downfall is his own team. They will either attack him indirectly or block him which can prevent him from escaping or pushes him towards an enemy’s swing. The best kind of defense for those that are protecting him is to give him 2-3 feet while protecting all sides that the enemy can get through.

That way he has some breathing room, which allows the King to take on enemies better or easier to dodge arrows/fire pots.

Chivalry is one of those games where it’s near impossible to work as a one man team. Communicating with your teammates as to what your game plan is or what tactics they should use will definitely ensure victory unless the other team works just as well.

• You did nothing wrong. It’s actually a risky tactic. You can’t escape if they break through.
    The mason players shouldn’t even complain. They do the same thing on citadel. The guy that gets to play malric hides at the spawn. It’s hard to get to him and he has some escape-ways for the case you get through. Also, the archers always stay IN the spawn, so you can’t get them if you have no throwing weapons or are an archer yourself.

• This post brings up two very good points.

One: In a team game, the game should not allow the enemy team to vote for or against the removal of a particular team member. If someone is TKing, it is all too common to see the enemy team try to keep the person around in order to grief the enemy team. On the other hand, if someone is doing really well, the opposing team is likely to try to kick him or her (fortunately, this works less often than the former statement). I understand this would not be perfect, but it is certainly a lesser evil than the current system.

Two: In war, there is a winner and a loser. How you win is up to you. How you accept defeat is also up to you. If someone beats you, you can complain. ALTERNATIVELY, you can find out what that person is doing, LEARN from it and GET BETTER. Worst-case scenario, you copy the other person and see if it really is “OP” (it usually is not), or you find out that you are simply outmatched. Either way, you learn something and, gasp, get better! People need to stop complaining about how others choose to play the game and instead focus on either getting better themselves, adapting, or (as many of these complainers already claim to do) just play the game for fun.

P.S. Is it not such rich irony when someone whines and complains about someone else being a “try hard”, etc. and yet cannot find it in themselves to keep quiet? Are they not mad that they are not winning, and if no, then what are they mad about since they are only “having fun” and it does not matter if someone else is winning?

EDIT: typos, grammar, word choice.

• @lejosh:

Frustrated, […] players started taunting me and complaining that I was cheating for […]

Thats what usually happens if you do something that works. The worst thing to do is to tell them to get better - yes its exactly the solution to their problems but people don’t want to hear that they aren’t perfect. Ignore the whiners and kick the hardcore scrubs (the ones who want to vote you out). If you are just doing well (without being cocky) and the server has a decent threshold (65%+) the enemies should not be able to vote you out.

This spot isn’t that good either (it has its advantges though): If the Masons manage to break through once you are fucked. There is no place to run and no room to maneuver. Worse: Your teammates might hit you trying to kill the attackers. You are just as vulnerable to solo assassins as elsewhere (here they just jump down from above) and Archers can still hit you from the other side (I crossbow-killed a king at least once this way).

But hey - players complain about everything.

• Actually on a side note, I’d love to see the king immune from kick votes: they’ve already worked their way into first place and typically surrounded by their own team if they have to defend themselves then they’re likely to take out a few friendlies too.

Most kickvotes I see on the king are made maliciously - either people wanting to end the game, or the 2nd highest ranked player thinking to be king themselves or simply because they don’t like the way the king is playing.

• Mod

@MonkeyFiend:

… or the 2nd highest ranked player thinking to be king themselves …

Usurpers! Off with their heads!

I don’t think you can do anything wrong AS king, I think a player that generally gets king is pretty much done really playing and has no option except camping the back while his team does most of the killing. This is good and bad really so its really up to your perspective. I know some people who give up king simply by switching teams momentarily just so they could continue playing.

There were, however, rare times where I saw a very coordinated bunch of players who attacked with the king among them, enough to repel the mason force. It was a glorious sight indeed.

• @MonkeyFiend:

A real king leads his men into battle!

I agree with this, it makes being king much more fun rather than just standing in the default spot and wait to be assaulted.

When I play king and feel the team is up for it, I usually position at the top left entrance where the Masons enter the room. The little doorway creates a bottleneck where only one mason can enter at a time, so if you got your entire team there with you, they don’t have a chance.

They will team damage each other a lot, and you can only be flanked from behind which is easily covered. It’s kinda like a miniature Spartans vs Persians at the hot gates. :D

• @User:

@MonkeyFiend:

I don’t think you can do anything wrong AS king

Of course you can, you can charge straight to the enemy spawn exit. But you are right in that 99% of the times king gets killed it is because the team failed to properly protect him. Which is why I usually decline king roles, since I feel I can be more effective as a bodyguard and it involves much less hassle if Agatha lose (and I already have the King of Kings achievement).

• @Apicius:

@User:

@MonkeyFiend:

I don’t think you can do anything wrong AS king

Of course you can, you can charge straight to the enemy spawn exit. But you are right in that 99% of the times king gets killed it is because the team failed to properly protect him. Which is why I usually decline king roles, since I feel I can be more effective as a bodyguard and it involves much less hassle if Agatha lose (and I already have the King of Kings achievement).

We tried once making the guy on the bottom of the scoreboard once king by all refusing it. Well almost got there. It got to the guy 4th to the bottom. He then said “shame bitches HAHAHAHA”.

So we went on strike. The king could defend himself. He died on the wave after we decided to not protect him. We didn’t TK him because in admin and it looks bad. I was trying to play normally and I threated anyone who decided to TK the king. Going on strike isn’t against any rules.