Vikings should be taller than knights.

• http://www.tornbanner.com/deadliestwarrior/

Didn’t you guys learn in 7th grade History class that Vikings were taller than everyone else in Europe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4nghHXhaMk

And that they were capable of speech, not just apish grunting? (Though viking berserkers were good at that)

EDIT: I’m wrong, okay?

• 5’11 would have been huge in the middle ages. Also a knight’s height is not necessarily indicative of the average height of the common folk. If you find a meuseum with a good medieval collection, compare the size of a knight’s armour with a common soldier’s outfit. You will likely find that knights were generally bigger dudes.

• @Sir:

5’11 would have been huge in the middle ages. Also a knight’s height is not necessarily indicative of the average height of the common folk. If you find a meuseum with a good medieval collection, compare the size of a knight’s armour with a common soldier’s outfit. You will likely find that knights were generally bigger dudes.

This is true, Knights were commonly people of noble birthing. So they were well groomed and ate well, While peasants of around the same time period suffered from malnutrition and poor hygeine which effected their personal health stunting their growth. The Vikings height varied, Just like how height varied these days, And just like in medieval culture those who were well off would of been taller than the average peasant.

Most vikings were crude tradesman and farmers so vikings had an abundance of food, Back track 400-500 years and it would of been a different case. The average height of a Roman legionaire would of been 5’6 which is quite short for a soldier but those well above their means like the Roman centurions were 5’11 to 6 foot tall, So those men who were well off would of been greater in height.

• Romans were short. All Mediterranean people were.

With the Roman Empire spreading to Europe it made the average height of people there shorter for hundreds of years to come even after the fall of the empire. Those in Scandinavia and eastern Germany were taller than the rest of Europe as te Romans didn’t get that far. So they were slightly taller and had less hieght variation. Also in their hierarchy all men were more or less equal. Compared to the barbarian cultures in Western Europe, Spain and Britain. For east of Germany people were a lot shorter again. East of the Ukraine. It was barely populated and people lived in their own communities.

• If you visit some parts of the UK there are castles with mini doors and adult suites of armour which are only ~4ft9. It depends on the country and the year.

That said, given the mechanics of the game, it’d be a fairly big advantage to play the smallest character. So one has to ask is it really worth making the character size overly different. I guess we won’t know until 90% of the population on DW are only using/playing the short-arse pirate ;)

• @SirBlade:

@Sir:

5’11 would have been huge in the middle ages. Also a knight’s height is not necessarily indicative of the average height of the common folk. If you find a meuseum with a good medieval collection, compare the size of a knight’s armour with a common soldier’s outfit. You will likely find that knights were generally bigger dudes.

This is true, Knights were commonly people of noble birthing. So they were well groomed and ate well, While peasants of around the same time period suffered from malnutrition and poor hygeine which effected their personal health stunting their growth.

And that is an X factor, that we can plug in to our sim.

• Nowadays everyone is tall. I’m 5"11 and still considered short. I’m closer to 6 feet too. With shoes on I am 6 foot.

• To OP

Knights were actuallt very tall. they were nobility and warrior class since a young age and ate mostly meat from hunting.

The peasants from the medieval times were indeed much shorter becaues they didnt get enough protein through their diet.

• Didn’t you guys learn in 7th grade History class that Vikings were taller than everyone else in Europe?

In Marienburg there is a single bed. It’s really small one. That bed was used by real-life knights at that time. My generation is taller than generation of my parents and I see next generation being taller than my generation. It seems that each another generation is taller than the previous one. If that’s true then knights of medieval Europe should be taller than vikings.

• If you can’t costumize the knight to wear the Coburg dwarf armour I don’t see the point in making him smaller.

• You guys really arguing about height?

• From a genetics standpoint. The height of Western Europeans varied a lot. While
    Most Eastern Europeans till the borders of the Ukraine were similar to each other. Before the Romans got bored all Europeans from western France to eastern Germany were tall. Including all of Great Britain. The Romans were in Europe for almost 400 years. More than enough time for cross breeding to happen.

Also warfare is a major factor in height. As with malnutrition. So shorter people are warlike people.

Also the knight presumably is an English knight. Now people from have always been on average taller than everyone for thousands of years. Until well into the British empire where the average height shrunk.

Top 10 average heights as of now.
    10. Australia 5’9.8". One of the best places in the world to live. In fact they stole won the title of best place to live in from New Zealand. Their height is due to good living conditions, sport culture, good weather and a dose of racism and sexism to keep those shorter out have all helped them to be this tall.

9. USA MERICA!!! 5’9.9". Yes Americans well known for their ability to grow horizontally are also good at growing vertically. Food is food and Americans have lots of it and eating the right food makes you grow taller. Also known for their sports. Sports that they made up Because they weren’t particularly good at sports everyone else played.

8. Greece 5’10.1". Apparently. Tallest Mediterranean country. You wouldn’t think they would be tall. Grecian women are very tall. They are probably men. They are known for their moustaches. After WWII Greece flourished. Until their recent bankruptcy. Is their diet making them taller? Though the particular census this data is from was mostly from men. Have Greece cheated for not having enough women?

7. Germany 5’10.1". Since the collapse of the Berlin Wall Germans have only gone up. Significantly. Massive improvements in living conditions have helped and the fact the Berlin Wall only went down 24 years ago and the fact they speak German means not many people from other parts of the world have immigrated to the country keeping the average height high and the deviation at 20%.

6. Finland 5’10.2’. Yes. The only place in Europe I don’t know exactly where it is. Other than t bordered with Germany in WWII and it may still border modern day Germany. All I know about Finland is they like to play volleyball. So they must be tall. Indoor volley ball.

5. Estonia 5’10.5". I know where Estonia is and they used to be in the Soviet Union which is very strange for them to be this tall. Though their ancestors were the Germanic tribe the Aestii. A very tall Germanic tribe never conquered by the Romans. Well Teutoburg happened and the only other big attempt into Germany was 100 years later by Emperor Marcus Auralius. He died a bit early and his son didn’t want to continue the push into Germany. So the Estonians are tall because of some new lazy roman emperor who decided to go home and party instead of push onwards.

4. Norway 5’10.7". Yes the home of the Vikings. For the harsh climate they have done very well for themselves. They also have one of the highest living standards in the world. Though they sorta cheated by not revealing their national average but instead used their military conscript average.

3. Denmark 5’11.1". Also cheating using the same things Norway did their “average” is also very high. In the Middle Ages the Norsemen who lived there were described as very tall. So they may not be cheating by that much.

2. Sweden 5’11.5. The swedes didn’t cheat and actually used their national average. They also had no Romans messing up their gene pool at all. One of the highest standards of living and one of the most developed countries in the world its no wonder.

1. Netherlands 6’0. Yes the dutch are the tallest people in the world. Not even a Scandinavian country either. They are very tall. They have had to raise the standard door height from 2m to 2.3m just so people can fit under them.

You may of noticed that most of the tall countries are places the Romans didn’t reach. And very developed and have a high standard of living. Also countries with english as their first language Are places of high immigration. So a lot of shorter people come in and and they become citizens. So the average hieght of rolls becomes lower. England isn’t even on the top 25 list of developed countries. In fact I don’t know where it is. I do know that they have the almost the highest immigration rates in the world. England is actually filled with slums. So their average height has plummeted. They are getting to a state getting code to South Africa. New Zealand gets a higher percentage of immigrants it they at from Asia and the pacific islands. England and NZ both share Indian immigrants. The city of Auckland is 40% Pakeha (European ancestry) and 30% Asian. And Auckland is one quarter of NZs population. Hence why NZ is skulking in the high 20s in terms of height leaderboards.

Back in the day Romans made people shorter. Romans were yearly the first mass immigrates to places. Retired soldiers and their families settling in the new provinces. Making everyone shorter over the years.

But they didn’t get everywhere. That and high standards of living made Scandinavians tall. Also they don’t speak English so why would anyone immigrate there at all?

• @lemonater47:

2. Sweden 5’11.5. The swedes didn’t cheat and actually used their national average. They also had no Romans messing up their gene pool at all. One of the highest standards of living and one of the most developed countries in the world its no wonder.

Very kind words 'bout us swedes. Thank you. Although I am just 174 cm tall :( Shortest guy among all the guys I know.

Also they don’t speak English so why would anyone immigrate there at all?

Now hold your horses! English is almost like the secondary mother tongue for us norsemen! Tourists from English-speaking countries often tell us how well we speak their language. We learn from early age, especially in this generating with a high influx of american culture just pouring into our media.

Now, we do have a lot of immigration. Relatively. Much of them are refugees from down the middle east who don’t know how to speak English either, so why would that affect their choice to come here? They come here because they’ve heard about our awesome living standards and that the streets are covered in gold. Unfortunately, as immigrants, they don’t get to see much of that in many cases. Sad reality. So we get reactions like the Utöya shooting and that suicide bomber in Stockholm.

Edit: Unless you mean, like, long time ago. Like the emigration of Europeans to the new lands in America. Then yes, swedes didn’t know a single word english. And therefore swedish immigrants in America were at the bottom of society. Stupid blonde brutes. Sweden (don’t know about the rest of Scandinavia) was a hellhole at that time anyways, which is why people emigrated.

Other than that, there have never been a reason for people to learn English. Ordinary people rarely travelled. The scientific community spoke in latin or french or cultivated languages like that, which english was not.

• @Sir:

The short medieval people is actually a myth. It really depends on the place and period (the medieval era lasts 1000 years!), it’s been noticed that height varied even back then.

In a region and a time where harvest was good, children wouldn’t suffer from malnutrition and would grow up normally. Especially Sons of nobles (knight) who would have meat heavy diet. Nobles or rich were known to be slightly taller than the common folk due to them being able to afford more meat (and dying earlier due to meat poisoning).

In any case, it never went under 5’6 (and that’s actually a biological law on height means).

• @akarnir:

@Sir:

The short medieval people is actually a myth. It really depends on the place and period (the medieval era lasts 1000 years!), it’s been noticed that height varied even back then.

Go into a medieval castle and try not to bump your head without crouching. :D

• @SavageBeatings:

@lemonater47:

Very kind words 'bout us swedes. Thank you. Although I am just 174 cm tall :( Shortest guy among all the guys I know.

Also they don’t speak English so why would anyone immigrate there at all?

Now hold your horses! English is almost like the secondary mother tongue for us norsemen! Tourists from English-speaking countries often tell us how well we speak their language. We learn from early age, especially in this generating with a high influx of american culture just pouring into our media.

Now, we do have a lot of immigration. Relatively. Much of them are refugees from down the middle east who don’t know how to speak English either, so why would that affect their choice to come here? They come here because they’ve heard about our awesome living standards and that the streets are covered in gold. Unfortunately, as immigrants, they don’t get to see much of that in many cases. Sad reality. So we get reactions like the Utöya shooting and that suicide bomber in Stockholm.

Edit: Unless you mean, like, long time ago. Like the emigration of Europeans to the new lands in America. Then yes, swedes didn’t know a single word english. And therefore swedish immigrants in America were at the bottom of society. Stupid blonde brutes. Sweden (don’t know about the rest of Scandinavia) was a hellhole at that time anyways, which is why people emigrated.

Other than that, there have never been a reason for people to learn English. Ordinary people rarely travelled. The scientific community spoke in latin or french or cultivated languages like that, which english was not.

But have those people who migrated to Sweden become Swedish citizens? That’s the only way they count.

And I’m 179cm and still considered short.

• Go into a medieval castle and try not to bump your head without crouching.

So…? Terms such as average, short or tall should be considered within the time period - a tall knight might be looking (very) short for us now, but that doesn’t mean that he wasn’t tall back then, in his own timeline.

• @Sir:

Go into a medieval castle and try not to bump your head without crouching. :D

Small doors has a lot more to do with keeping the heat inside the buildings.

@lemonater47:

But have those people who migrated to Sweden become Swedish citizens? That’s the only way they count.

Count to what?

A lot of people have and a lot of people probably want to. I don’t know. They live in Sweden now, probably longterm. The fact that we don’t speak English as a first language doesn’t seem to bother them. What are we talking about again?

• @adamcel6:

Didn’t you guys learn in 7th grade History class that Vikings were taller than everyone else in Europe?

obviously you skipped Science class. Knights were 500 years further in evolution and better nourished so they were taller.

• @CorvusFerreum:

If you can’t costumize the knight to wear the Coburg dwarf armour I don’t see the point in making him smaller.

HALF MAN! HALF MAN! HALF MAN!