Viking Spear, One-Handed

• So, the Spartans get their Dory. But there aren’t any other factions with a one-handed spear, and I feel this should be remedied.

The Viking’s Spear isn’t a pike, and it’s not too flashy. Why not let it be used with their shield? It could incur some penalties from being two-handed. And it’d play fairly differently from his other weapons.

• Well… I guess the viking doesn’t get it since it’s a speciality of the Spartan to use a spear with a shield. Want the classes to be as unique as possible, even though a viking with spear and shield would be cool and historically accurate.

• @SavageBeatings:

Well… I guess the viking doesn’t get it since it’s a speciality of the Spartan to use a spear with a shield. Want the classes to be as unique as possible, even though a viking with spear and shield would be cool and historically accurate.

But… the Samurai gets a katana and the Ninja does too! :o

Heh, I don’t think using a spear and shield is what defines the Spartan. Though I’m still not quite sure what their “schtick” is; a friend thought it was the ability to attack while your block was held up, but they were probably confused about something they saw in the trailer.

You know how Vikings have Dual Wielding, Samurai have draw attacks… what do Spartans get? Shield attacks? The shield attacks are pretty brutally effective.

It’s also worth mentioning that Knights lack a “thing” as well, besides having great armor (which is kinda boring imo).

• A Spartan gets a huge ass shield, as well as using some of the longest weaponry in the game along with it, plus a really effective shield bash. A strong defensive class, but not a damage absorber.
    The Knight has shorter but more heavy-hitting weapons, he has the best armour of the lot and he has the crossbow, only surpassed by firearms. Both classes are good defensive classes, of course. But one is a good damage absorber and a good damage dealer, and one is good at keeping enemies at a distance while being protected from missiles. Personally I think the Knight should get smaller shields, like… the heather shield?!

I’m thinking that the Knight and the Spartan are similar in their defensive roles, the Samurai and Viking in their offensive roles, and the Ninja and the Pirate in their skirmishing/harrassment roles. You could compare them instead. Ninja and Pirate are both without armour, both rather fast, and should probably not be on the frontlines. They probably circle around their enemies with hit-and-run tactics. The Ninja being more like a Man-at-Arms and the Pirate being more like an Archer. The Viking and the Samurai are more like Vanguards, although one get a bow and one get a shield. But still, lashing out a lot of damage in a short amount of time with two-handed weapons is their thing.

• @SavageBeatings:

A Spartan gets a huge ass shield, as well as using some of the longest weaponry in the game along with it, plus a really effective shield bash. A strong defensive class, but not a damage absorber.
    The Knight has shorter but more heavy-hitting weapons, he has the best armour of the lot and he has the crossbow, only surpassed by firearms. Both classes are good defensive classes, of course. But one is a good damage absorber and a good damage dealer, and one is good at keeping enemies at a distance while being protected from missiles. Personally I think the Knight should get smaller shields, like… the heather shield?!

I’m thinking that the Knight and the Spartan are similar in their defensive roles, the Samurai and Viking in their offensive roles, and the Ninja and the Pirate in their skirmishing/harrassment roles. You could compare them instead. Ninja and Pirate are both without armour, both rather fast, and should probably not be on the frontlines. They probably circle around their enemies with hit-and-run tactics. The Ninja being more like a Man-at-Arms and the Pirate being more like an Archer. The Viking and the Samurai are more like Vanguards, although one get a bow and one get a shield. But still, lashing out a lot of damage in a short amount of time with two-handed weapons is their thing.

So… do you agree? I don’t think being able to wield his relatively short spear with a shield is that big of a deal. And I don’t really think we have to stick with the “Viking is a Vanguard” mentality too much. It can be similar, but he’s also got dual-wielded weapons. Spear and shield would only give a little overlap with the Spartan, and frankly I think it’d be healthy (it wouldn’t be throwable, after all, nor as long).

• In the Samurai vs. Viking episode of DW, the viking dual wields javelins.

Would be awesome, but I feel this would steal a lot of the spartan’s thunder.

• GUNGNIIRRRR

• What special thing does the spartan have going on for him, really?

Spartan gets a few spears, the ability to wield them one-handed with a shield, the ability to throw them, and he can use his shield in combos. Wow, that’s awesome! What does the viking get? The viking can dual wield his weapons, he can throw shit, his attacks get faster the longer he maintain the combo, AND we want him to wield a spear with a shield as well! Sounds to me like he’s a better version of a Spartan, a more flexible version. Because the viking can choose if he wants no shield or not, Spartan can not. Viking can throw his shield, keeping his main weapon. Spartan can throw his main weapon, resorting to his short sidearm. Vikings sidearm (in case that the spear was his primary) can go faster and faster if he maintains the combo, a Spartans sidearm cannot. The Spartan can still punch with his shield, sure. But as of now it’s rather inaccurate, not to talk about short range.

So what differs the Spartan from the Viking? The punching with the shield?

• @SavageBeatings:

What special thing does the spartan have going on for him, really?

Spartan gets a few spears, the ability to wield them one-handed with a shield, the ability to throw them, and he can use his shield in combos. Wow, that’s awesome! What does the viking get? The viking can dual wield his weapons, he can throw shit, his attacks get faster the longer he maintain the combo, AND we want him to wield a spear with a shield as well! Sounds to me like he’s a better version of a Spartan, a more flexible version. Because the viking can choose if he wants no shield or not, Spartan can not. Viking can throw his shield, keeping his main weapon. Spartan can throw his main weapon, resorting to his short sidearm. Vikings sidearm (in case that the spear was his primary) can go faster and faster if he maintains the combo, a Spartans sidearm cannot. The Spartan can still punch with his shield, sure. But as of now it’s rather inaccurate, not to talk about short range.

This. The Viking doesn’t need a 1 handed spear. Vikings don’t poke things to death anyway. They smash and slash not poke. Silly billy.

• @Footbeard:

This. The Viking doesn’t need a 1 handed spear. Vikings don’t poke things to death anyway. They smash and slash not poke. Silly billy.

Well, historically they did. Spears were the most common weapon for a viking. I am just arguing from a gameplay point of view, not the historical accurate point of view. In that case, the viking should have a spear and shield combo. But I’m afraid he’d be too similar to the Spartan, gameplay wise. The Spartan needs something more unique if the viking gets to use a spear with shield.

• @SavageBeatings:

@Footbeard:

Well, historically they did. Spears were the most common weapon for a viking. I am just arguing from a gameplay point of view, not the historical accurate point of view. In that case, the viking should have a spear and shield combo. But I’m afraid he’d be too similar to the Spartan, gameplay wise. The Spartan needs something more unique if the viking gets to use a spear with shield.

It… it was a joke…

• @Footbeard:

It… it was a joke…

I don’t believe in fun.

• @SavageBeatings:

@Footbeard:

It… it was a joke…

I don’t believe in fun.

Fun called. She’s hurt you could say something like that. She still remembers last night.

• @Footbeard:

@SavageBeatings:

@Footbeard:

It… it was a joke…

I don’t believe in fun.

Fun called. She’s hurt you could say something like that. She still remembers last night.

Savage likes history

Savage is a real Viking.

Not good to joke about Those things combined.

• @SavageBeatings:

What special thing does the spartan have going on for him, really?

Sadly, you have a compelling argument. However, I feel that if the Spartan is so tenuous with his uniqueness, he needs to be looked at. Merely giving the Viking one-handed spear capability resulting in an entire class getting outmoded means there’s a problem with that class, I feel.

I remember a friend watching the DW trailer and commenting how she thought the Spartan’s ability was to attack while having a shield up. I think that’s an interesting idea, and something to look at. It could be balanced if it, for instance, had a large stamina cost so you couldn’t just spam from behind protection; and remember, shields are easy to take advantage of (strong kicks).