Spartan shield attack

• Anyone else notice that the shield attacks with the spartan shield has a VERY small range?
    I couldn’t hit anyone unless I was literally at their bubble, and I couldn’t hit them from the front even if I was as close as I could possibly be. If it is supposed to be used in combos, it should have a range like the slash range of the short sword maybe?

Range increase or bubble pop yes?

• Range increase needed.

Alt shield bash is good though.

• I have noticed the tracers don’t quite reach the full length of the animation near the end and have reported it. Tracers should perhaps extend a little bit beyond the edge of the shield considering the short reach of the attack, but we’ll see if it’s necessary.

• @SlyGoat:

I have noticed the tracers don’t quite reach the full length of the animation near the end and have reported it. Tracers should perhaps extend a little bit beyond the edge of the shield considering the short reach of the attack, but we’ll see if it’s necessary.

Nah, sick of getting hit by invisihits. The shield bash IS short but it’s very strong. I think it’s fine as is. Just needs some getting used to. Or the bubble could be removed?

• Yeah its the bubble causing the problem. Don’t try and build around it. Make the bubble smaller or pop it.

• @lemonater47:

Yeah its the bubble causing the problem. Don’t try and build around it. Make the bubble smaller or pop it.

I’m getting pretty tired of this comment. How is the bubble causing a “problem” in this case? The bubble keeps you from rubbing your face against the enemy’s but you can always reach your opponent. Things would be far worse off without it. People put heaps of blame on the bubble for things that are in no way related to it.

• @Dr.Nick:

@lemonater47:

Yeah its the bubble causing the problem. Don’t try and build around it. Make the bubble smaller or pop it.

I’m getting pretty tired of this comment. How is the bubble causing a “problem” in this case? The bubble keeps you from rubbing your face against the enemy’s but you can always reach your opponent. Things would be far worse off without it. People put heaps of blame on the bubble for things that are in no way related to it.

Hi Dr. Nick. The bubble prevents you from getting close enough to the enemy for the shield bash to hit accurately. A shield bash is up close and personal. Rubbing noses or whatever. The hitbox also encompasses the shield too so it’s not hard to block even at kiss distance. Things honestly would not be worse without the bubble IMO. You can try to win me over though. There might be something I missed

• I think the first thing to do is actually fix the tracers to match the animation before we start talking about “the bubble”.

If the tracers match the animations and it’s still hard to land then we can talk about adjusting “the bubble”.

The thing about the UDK engine is that it has to have some sort of collision mechanic, if you “popped the bubble” people would start walking through each other.

• I posted something similar to this as a bug actually. One of the spartan shield attacks, back on the mouse wheel by default, goes right through an opposing players character model without doing damage when executed right infront of the opponent. BUT this only happens when one spartan is bashing another, not one spartan bashing another class o.O It appeared to me to be some issue with the spartan’s bubble in the front.

Edit: I tested this on a spartan standing still in the tutorial. I couldn’t get ANY closer and yet my shield bash would not connect.

• @parkrangerstan:

I posted something similar to this as a bug actually. One of the spartan shield attacks, back on the mouse wheel by default, goes right through an opposing players character model without doing damage when executed right infront of the opponent. BUT this only happens when one spartan is bashing another, not one spartan bashing another class o.O It appeared to me to be some issue with the spartan’s bubble in the front.

Edit: I tested this on a spartan standing still in the tutorial. I couldn’t get ANY closer and yet my shield bash would not connect.

I think there’s something wrong with that particular Spartan. Tweedle is his name methinks. Kicks go straight through him too. The shield bash has reliably been smacking people for me. Try 3rd person?

• @Dr.Nick:

@lemonater47:

This is the ony thing the bubble affects. People do blame the bubble for things that aren’t related. I’ve said that many times. But this is realated to the bubble.

The bubble puts distance between ou and your enemy. Problem is for many weapons and when chasing people you just miss but you are as close as possible. It makes combat unsatisfying and clunky.

Reduce the size of it.

• Mod

Im pretty sure you can code it that the love bubble ignores the shield bash so it will be like an exempt weapon that ignores it.

• @User:

Im pretty sure you can code it that the love bubble ignores the shield bash so it will be like an exempt weapon that ignores it.

Collision has no effect on weapon hitboxes. Problems with collision not allowing a weapon to hit only occur when the collision is greater than the tracer length of the attack, because then you won’t be able to get close enough for your swing to hit their model. This isn’t quite an issue with the shield punch, but it is close, which means it has a very small margin of error for where you have to be standing to land the hit. But, as stated, the tracers aren’t as long as they should be.

• @Dr:

The thing about the UDK engine is that it has to have some sort of collision mechanic, if you “popped the bubble” people would start walking through each other.

I don’t believe this is correct. In Chivalry+ the added collision cylinder “bubble” is removed entirely and only the underlying Pawn collision detection is used. I’m pretty certain this is how it was before the MW balance patch and you can’t walk through people.

I can’t speak for DW yet, but in MW I personally felt the bubble caused more problems than it solved. I understood it could feel super cheap and unfair to be killed by someone getting right in your face and LMBing, but it was a counter-able tactic. The only reliable counter to dodgy hit detection is to never (or very rarely) use the troublesome attack.

Then again, an increase the the tracer range for the attack might fix it just as well, so we’ll see.

• @NabsterHax:

@Dr:

I don’t believe this is correct. In Chivalry+ the added collision cylinder “bubble” is removed entirely and only the underlying Pawn collision detection is used. I’m pretty certain this is how it was before the MW balance patch and you can’t walk through people.

I can’t speak for DW yet, but in MW I personally felt the bubble caused more problems than it solved. I understood it could feel super cheap and unfair to be killed by someone getting right in your face and LMBing, but it was a counter-able tactic. The only reliable counter to dodgy hit detection is to never (or very rarely) use the troublesome attack.

Then again, an increase the the tracer range for the attack might fix it just as well, so we’ll see.

Oh sorry, I thought the “bubble” was simply the pawn collision radius. I thought the radius had been increased in the patch rather than a new collision mechanic created.

• Spartan shield punch attacks are pretty powerful but very inaccurate. with the shield punches you can make the most retarded accelerated attack by facehugging your opponent and look to the side, it should be impossible for him to react unless he somehow panic parries when you facehug him, but then again if he does that over and over, that’s a mindfuck you can constantly apply to your opponent to make them think you are going to do a super fast accelerated attack once you get upclose to them. Shield punch are not been given penalty for hitting in the release part too soon or too late either, its sweet spot system is 100% red / full damage.

• I don’t have that much trouble connecting with a shield punch in battle. I tend to stab and only engage with the shield bash when the enemy gets too close, but when I do it’s devastating.