Plant the Banner/Hog the Banner Feedback

• Plant the Banner: Single flag assault CTF, flag spawns in the middle of the map and has to be taken to a capture point near the enemy spawn to score.

Hog the Banner: A mix of CTF and KotH. Flag spawns at a semi-random point on the map and the team holding it accumulates points until the flag carrier dies, at which point a new flag spawns.

Outstanding issues aside (limited UI support, flag not working as a weapon) what do you think about these two game modes and the maps associated with them? Fun factor, team factor, action factor and engagement factor are key things here - is the game mode enjoyable, does it feel like a solid team-based mode, is it well paced, and can you see it keeping you engaged for a full match duration and across multiple matches?

• Mod

I actually didn’t really notice the flags on the hog type because i was busy killing people with the viking hammer.

I think that with being this much of an arcade game people wouldn’t focus on getting the flag unless the flag becomes a formidable weapon. Or at least one of some renown like in CMW-CTF. I actually avoided picking it up because I know it was bugged and guessed it would have reduced damage/slow paced fighting animation.

• Hog the Banner feels annoying. It’s often whoever gets there first, grabs the flag, and runs back to their spawn to hide behind endless waves of respawns to guarantee survival. Not particularly fun. If you had the maps designed so that grabbing the flag meant you were in a designated (can still be large, just not AT your own teams spawn) area it would definitely give the mode a much needed boost in action and turn over of the flag handlers. Or just make the spawns relatively distant before dropping down into the main battle arena.

Plant the Banner was much more fun, players seem to be more coordinated and focused on objective play here. A solo entity can do the objective too, if no one is paying attention. Overall plant the banner feels much more exciting, charging up that hill with your team to go and plant the objective. You get the action, coordination, and objective all done in the same massive conflict.

• @Gauntlet:

Hog the Banner feels annoying. It’s often whoever gets there first, grabs the flag, and runs back to their spawn to hide behind endless waves of respawns to guarantee survival. Not particularly fun. If you had the maps designed so that grabbing the flag meant you were in a designated (can still be large, just not AT your own teams spawn) area it would definitely give the mode a much needed boost in action and turn over of the flag handlers. Or just make the spawns relatively distant before dropping down into the main battle arena.

Plant the Banner was much more fun, players seem to be more coordinated and focused on objective play here. A solo entity can do the objective too, if no one is paying attention. Overall plant the banner feels much more exciting, charging up that hill with your team to go and plant the objective. You get the action, coordination, and objective all done in the same massive conflict.

Great point on Hold the Banner. Perhaps it would be better if we used the multi team spawn setup for that mode (Similar to FFA spawns, no set area).

• I’ve not actually played the modes yet so I’m not sure but, judging from what Gauntlet says, maybe the Hog mode will benefit from the flag being forced to respawn after a certain amount of time/points it has been held? Might discourage people bothering to try and get it back but I’m not sure.

The FFA-style spawning might work better but the thing is everyone on the flag carrier’s team has a clear objective and are more likely to group as a team while the attacking team can spawn all over the map and will probably rush in alone and get slaughtered.

I feel like the forced re-spawning might encourage more fighting over the actual flag and a bit more back and forth which is where I imagine the most interesting/exciting gameplay is.

• Plant the flag certainly seems like the better team-based mode. Potential for lots of good back and forths. Other than making sure the maps are balanced I don’t think there’s much that needs to be done to this mode.

Hog the banner will definitely result in endless turtling. It would definitely be interesting if you had to hold the flag in certain zones that moved around the map every 30 seconds or whatever.

Also, multi-team hog the banner? That would be hilarious.

• How about you have certain places on the map that you have to be in to score points with the flag? That way you could prevent one team holding onto the flag at their base. You could even have the area where you have to hold the flag move between the areas randomly every 30 seconds, forcing the team with the flag to move.

I already have the coding for that by the way!

• Mod

Playing PTB on test today (6pm) got me really upset.
    Bugs aside- the game is already having a speed increase with ranged being completely secondary without getting it’s own class like it does on CMW. Combined with generic arcade flag-holder hud icon I don’t see alot of people really combining forces to actually achieve this objective, rather than score more kills for themselves.

This really annoyed me because I join a game mode with the mindset to complete the game mode’s purpose, rather than FFA on every game mode. - I think you should either add a speed boost or a health boost to the person once they picked up the flag. Some classes are extremely fast (ninja & viking) and has already very powerful weapons so I’m seeing this game mod really dying down fast unless there will be a reward for getting the flag.

Even when the teams did try to coordinate, it only took 1-2 enemy players to slash around in blind madness to break any memory of organization there was a second ago.